Weird Shut-off problem

3lectroid

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
First off:
2.3.6 ; Latest update from AT&T. NOT rooted..

Hey everyone, wondering if I could get some input from the experts. This started a few days ago; a few times (6-10) a day when tapping the unlock button to wake up my phone the lockscreen will flash and turn right off and then completely shut off and start vibrating in short bursts every few seconds and then eventually restart.

I thought I was pretty close to my full capacity on the phones internal storage so I cleared all my pictures and videos but still the same issue.

Things that may help?:
Running Launcher Pro (unlocked)
Ver.: 2.3.6
Kernel: 2.6.35.11

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I really hope i dont have to Nuke my phone and start all over again :/

Uselessbass

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I would try it without launcher pro on there just to verify that isn't causing your problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

curran25

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wierd Shut-off problem

Did you ever get this issue resolved? Same thing just happened to my T-Mobile Galaxy S2. It keeps shutting off and vibrating every few seconds. The camera is also flashing. If you found anything useful, I would greatly appreciate some advice!

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

My phone just did this, tried to unlock and it flashes and starts buzzing in short bursts or every time i try to unlock it, been doing it for the last 30 minutes and have pulled the battery and it shows the samsung screen then back to buzzing

gargoyle_48770

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

if you have it warrantied i would get it replaced, if not it sounds like its the power button(yes on the inside) you can either open it yourself and check or send it into samsung who usually can fix it for you for cost.

cthomb

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

quite a bit of us having this problem? was there an actual resolution? i have the ins but ATT says they cant fix. I would have to pay 200$ for a refurbished phone. grr

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

This just started happening to my phone! Glad I'm not the first. It has happened 5 times in the last 2 hours! Out of the blue, the phone screen will shut off, phone starts to vibrate about 5-6 times, and I've even had the camera flash flicker while it vibrates. Then the phone will eventually reboot. It's getting annoying.

Also something is wrong with my power/screen on/off button. Just pressing it once and the screen flickers on/off really fast. It doesn't stay on like it should for me to enter my passcode. I have to press it several times to get it to stay on.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

if you have it warrantied i would get it replaced, if not it sounds like its the power button(yes on the inside) you can either open it yourself and check or send it into samsung who usually can fix it for you for cost.

This is more than just the power button. This is something in the software or internal hardware of the phone that is malfunctioning. I am thinking I might have to do an insurance claim on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

Went to an AT&T store today and they said I should call the insurance number and do a claim through there. I asked about getting a refurbished skyrocket and he said it's highly likely. They said I could get lucky and get an S3 if they don't have any refurbished skyrockets in that particular warehouse.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site

Forget it, Nexus 4 is back in stock! I just ordered a 16GB Nexus 4! I'd have to pay the $200 deductible through AT&T insurance just to get a refurbished skyrocket anyway.

dysfnctionall

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Has there been any fixes for this problem other than getting a new phone? I have the same issue. I use my phone on straight talk so I cant just go and get it replaced under a warranty. My phone started doing this sunday night. It turned off and started vibrating for a couple minutes then turned back on. As I was trying to type in my password it turned off again and hasnt come back on since, just vibrates until I remove the battery or the battery dies. If I remove the battery and put it back in it will display samsung on the screen, then turn off and go back to vibrating. If I remove the battery and put it on the charger it goes straight to vibrating. I cant do a hard reset or get it to do anything other than vibrate.

el_chase

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

I have the same problem. It's gotten progressively worse over the past several weeks. Now the phone won't even boot up.

josiahg52

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

I, too, have this problem.

My screen flashes between screen off and screen lock. The power menu appears and disappears; sometimes the phone reboots by itself. Sometimes it just shuts off and starts vibrating once every second until I pull the battery. Sometimes it turns back on by itself after I shut it off. It is getting exceedingly difficult to turn the phone on and off or lock and unlock the screen when I want or need to.

I believe it is the power button. I cannot find it separately and I don't fancy attempting to unsolder and remove the suspect button from the board and soldering a new one in place so I have decided to replace the motherboard. I have sourced a motherboard but I want to know what I can expect with the replacement, chiefly, where is the IMEI physically stored?

Do I need to be concerned that replacing the motherboard will change the ESN and/or IMEI of my phone? It is not an issue to go to AT&T and getting the IMEI /ESN added to my account but if it follows the motherboard then I need to be sure that the motherboard I have is not from a stolen or lost phone or delinquent account, right?

Last edited:

3lectroid

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Sorry guys, didnt notice this thread picking up so much speed..

Since then I have gotten a new device.. I originally bought my GS2 at BestBuy and had the warranty so I took it back and had it replaced with a refurb. Initially the problem went away but has been slowly creeping back.. It must be a software thing.. Although it hasnt happened YET since I updated to 4.0.4.. Is JellyBean available yet for our "anchient" devices?

josiahg52

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Well, to add a litle more background, my problem happened with both the original GB software and the official ICS upgrade. I elected against the motherboard replacement and sent it to Cell Phone Repair Pros. For $60 they replaced the power button and so far it is working great. I rooted today and it is still working great. It seems my problem has been solved.

For now; only been a few days.

ETA: I haven't seen any official JB release for our phones.

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

Sorry guys, didnt notice this thread picking up so much speed..

Since then I have gotten a new device.. I originally bought my GS2 at BestBuy and had the warranty so I took it back and had it replaced with a refurb. Initially the problem went away but has been slowly creeping back.. It must be a software thing.. Although it hasnt happened YET since I updated to 4.0.4.. Is JellyBean available yet for our "anchient" devices?

I've had jelly bean for months on my skyrocket

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

David Auge

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site

I'm also having this problem...not sure what is causing it, but I'd venture to guess that its the power button although it happens even when I'm not touching the phone
487921_10152140953705288_1177427973_n.jpg
. See screenshot.

The phone is rooted, its a T-Mobile Hercules and this started happening just recently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781