Battery Life Help

Seth_E

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm a ex blackberry user coming to this phone. Yes i understand blackberry gets like double the life of this battery. I also know the reason this phone has not to best battery life is the screen size and it being a lte which is understandable i dont expect 24 life on the battery. But i probably get 5 hours of battery life on this phone which sounds terrible to me. I know right now whats running in the top is a battery app to tell me how much % i have, Avast(dunno if its even useful or needed) and juice defender the free one which im not sure if the free one is even worth having.

Nothing else i know of is running but then again only had this phone a day so im sure I don't know how to check yet.

Can anyone tell me a few tips on battery life, few apps, few things to avoid, and how to see if i do have something running that's draining my battery life?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
know right now whats running in the top is a battery app to tell me how much % i have, Avast(dunno if its even useful or needed) and juice defender the free one w to avoid

I'd start by removing these two. these are POS apps and do more harm than actually help to save the battery.

Reactions: Seth_E

Seth_E

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
iv been keeping it at 10% at all times. with a 15 second time out, im also running Go Pro Power manager i think its called, where everytime my screen times out it turns off my wifi and exit's all my apps.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
In my humble opinion, all those apps that "save battery life" do nothing. They may even use up more. Have tried a few and deleted them.

Seth_E

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmm i may wanna experiment and today use this, and tomorrow not and see the difference, as for Avast should i get rid of it or does it drain battery, i read it dosnt effect the battery any.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I can't give you details on every app because I honestly don't know. I do know that the most crap you have on your phone the more chance there is for sluggishness and battery drain. I try to strip mine down to things I use the most and get rid of everything else.

I like your idea of trying it both with the app on and then off. That is the only real way of knowing if it is chewing up battery life. Some day they will improve the batteries for these things and we won't have to worry about it any more.

Seth_E

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i know, the batterys you can buy that are a upgrade you have to increase the back end size of the phone. Which then makes it not fit in a otter box so they ethier figure out a way to make slimmer batteries or bigger otterboxes for these.

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
How is the reception in your area? At work, I'm in an area with spotty reception, always switching between Edge, HSPA+, and LTE, and the Wifi signal is very spotty, too. So, my phone chews through the battery when I'm not even using it. But, at home, it's great.

reliefman1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I tried everything I could think of and followed suggestions from the forums to preserve battery life. No matter what I did my battery was running down by early afternoon. I started thinking that I've got a great phone but had to limit myself because I didn't want to run down my battery. That seemed crazy to me. I bought this phone to take advantage of all the great features. Seidio Innocell 3800mAh Super Extended Battery was the answer. It does make the phone thicker but it gives me the battery to do what I want, as much as I want without limiting me. I used to worry if I could make it to the afternoon without plugging in my phone. Now, I use the phone as much as I want without having to worry about charging. Great peace of mind!

Seth_E

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
How is the reception in your area? At work, I'm in an area with spotty reception, always switching between Edge, HSPA+, and LTE, and the Wifi signal is very spotty, too. So, my phone chews through the battery when I'm not even using it. But, at home, it's great.

At home and around my town i have LTE 4g at all times never really moves, of course when i head to work it drops to 1 bar and changes in and out of 4g and back in over and over, and yeah i prefer a otterbox on mine compared to a bigger battery due to the fact i drop my phone alot.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
How long have you had the phone? I am getting my Skyrocket back from Samsung Tuesday. Warranty repair of the phone due to charging issues.

As far as regular battery life though, make sure you turn off apps and features you do not use. That or a bigger battery are your 2 best options. OR carry around an extra battery or external battery pack.