Weird Text from AT&T (maybe?)

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of us are wanting the new update to ICS.

Me being one of them, I just received this text from: 1111-487-600

It reads: IMPORTANT SOFTWARE UPDATE: AT&T is providing a critical software update for your device. Please follow the screen prompts.

Couple of things. A google search doesn't reveal much. Also, I'm in a really crappy signal spot (EDGE and G are what I see. No 3G or 4G). So any prompt will be useless or maybe not coming through cause of no data connection.

Let me know if you guys see this.

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Nope can you gives a screen shot? I haven't received any of this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope can you gives a screen shot? I haven't received any of this

Nothing came up for a prompt. Just got the text and that's it. I imagine because i'm in a crappy signal area that I won't get it until I get home or until I go to Update Software in the settings.

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Can you possibly go to messaging and just screen shot the text? I'm really antsy about the update

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you possibly go to messaging and just screen shot the text? I'm really antsy about the update

I literally typed it how I got it. I can take a screenshot and all, but you won't see it for a few hours (till I get out of work)

EDIT: It's here

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I got that text too, but I got tired of waiting and have been running CM9 nightly on my Skyrocket. Highly recommend it!

see attached

Tim

You will only get prompts (usually buttons on the bottom) to initiate the update, with the stock messaging app. The one with big ugly black text boxes around a dark blue frame with large fonts. Try selecting the message itself within the messaging app and see if buttons show up on the bottom.

Lucidmike

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I literally typed it how I got it. I can take a screenshot and all, but you won't see it for a few hours (till I get out of work)

EDIT: It's here

Can you try tapping and holding on the message bubble you received and see if you can do anything with the options?

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you try tapping and holding on the message bubble you received and see if you can do anything with the options?

Just the usual: Delete, Add to contacts, copy text, lock message, forward, copy to sim, view message details.

Details only reveal type (text), from, and sent time/date

Will1524

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to see if this is actually official I still haven't gotten it though. Anybody else like me?

john144

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm a new member to this forum. I joined because I, too, am waiting for an update. I never got this text message, and my phone has been on all day.

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm..... That seems odd. I haven't gotten any text message, but I have been using my windows phone all day. Let me put my sim in my skyrocket for a bit and I will do some research on the phone number.

Edit: It seems AT&T has used this number to alert people of updates in the past. Not the same message everytime it is used though.

Last edited:

dmrfresh

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I received the text and a notification from the software update manager that an update was ready for download.

So, I download it, it starts the update...and then it says it failed, cannot complete. Same thing happened for the 2.3.6 update...

Oh well.

bnceo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I received the text and a notification from the software update manager that an update was ready for download.

So, I download it, it starts the update...and then it says it failed, cannot complete. Same thing happened for the 2.3.6 update...

Oh well.

Allegedly, GS2 (regular ones) start their updates today according to an Engadget article (with a samsung press release). Maybe samsung has their update server broken. Who knows.