07-18-2012 03:56 PM
148 1234 ...
tools
    I'm not a nube but this is my first Android. I have UCLF5 on my phone but do I have to go back to gingerbread before I do this update? Don't want to brick my phone and I like the leak I have now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    I was on that build as well, I followed the steps below to go from UCLF5 to UCLF6..

**Backup any data you feel is important first** Pictures, attachments, downloads

Shut down your phone and pull out the battery, write down your S/N for your phone should be 11 alphanumeric characters long.

Install Kies and then click Tools -> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization, click OK

Confirm the next prompt (I don't think mine prompted this, but it did since I have the update now)

Then you should arrive at a screen asking for Serial Number and Model... For S/N put in the number you wrote from under the battery. For Model type in SGH-I727 (all caps or it will fail), click OK.

Then Kies will prompt you to connect the phone... perform the following.

Next you have to put your phone in recovery mode, to do so, make sure it is shut off. Press both volume up and down and do not release, while holding them down plug in USB to the computer and the phone (helps to already have it connected to the PC).

You can release volume up / down when you see green and blue text show up on the screen. This screen will warn you about flashing custom ROMs, just press volume up and the phone will be put in to download mode, you can leave it connected to the computer while in this mode.

Click OK/Next on the computer and the process will begin. The first bar is Kies downloading the update, second bar is it flashing to the phone.

After the first two bars it will prompt you that it is setting up the phone and NOT to disconnect it until the phone reboots. I clicked okay and waited. The phone did reboot 2-3 minutes after that window. Once I saw the AT&T splash screen I disconnected.

Then it took about 4 minutes to setup apps and start the OS, then I was back to my phone exactly as it was running UCLF5 but now was on UCLF6.

In my experience which is limited to just me, it worked great and did not wipe out any data at all! No re-setup for me!
    07-09-2012 03:19 PM
    It took around 15 min to download & install the software on the SR with Verizon Fios 35/35. No problems so far. Time to play.

Here is my build info
    Model SGH-I727
    Version 4.04
    Baseband Ver: I727UCLF6
    Kernel Ver: 3.0.8
    07-09-2012 03:20 PM
    So you didn't have to go back to gingerbread then flash official?

You are correct, I just posted before this, the steps I took to flash stock 4.0.4 UCLF6.

It is a good tool to remember if you ever mess up your phone but can still access the bootloader, Kies can put you back to stock!

I have never rooted or flashed anything else to my SR other than leak #3 UCLF5.
    07-09-2012 03:22 PM
    Can you please give a screen cap?

Sure...here you go!

07-09-2012 03:24 PM
    It took around 15 min to download & install the software on the SR with Verizon Fios 35/35. I am attaching some pics with the phone info. No problems so far. Time to play.

For some reason the pictures don't want to upload. Sorry!!!
    07-09-2012 03:24 PM
    Odin seems to be sitting at the "Downloading.." portion of the update for a good half hour now.

Any ideas? Should I restart the update?
    07-09-2012 03:29 PM
    Since this is an 'update', does it wipe your phone? I know Brytonic said no, but I was curious if anyone else could chime in.

I was going to do the update while at work, but if I need to backup my data I'd rather wait and do it at home later.
    07-09-2012 03:30 PM
    You are correct, I just posted before this, the steps I took to flash stock 4.0.4 UCLF6.

It is a good tool to remember if you ever mess up your phone but can still access the bootloader, Kies can put you back to stock!

I have never rooted or flashed anything else to my SR other than leak #3 UCLF5.
    Ok cool. My phone isn't rooted either but I have CWM version 3(e) which is the basic version but I don't care about it.

07-09-2012 03:30 PM
    Since this is an 'update', does it wipe your phone? I know Brytonic said no, but I was curious if anyone else could chime in.

I was going to do the update while at work, but if I need to backup my data I'd rather wait and do it at home later.
    It didn't wipe mine. Videos I recorded prior to the update are intact, for example.
    07-09-2012 03:34 PM
    Is this the offical update?
    07-09-2012 03:37 PM
    It didn't wipe mine. Videos I recorded prior to the update are intact, for example.
    I should mention that the videos that weren't wiped are on an external SD card, though. Not sure if it wipes the internal flash.
    07-09-2012 03:40 PM
    Yes, official AT&T ICS for Skyrocket.
    07-09-2012 03:41 PM
    Yes. My phone is stock and always has been. Not even rooted.
    07-09-2012 03:42 PM
    Okay, TOTAL NEWB ALERT!!!!!!!

My phone is 100% stock and I've never backed up anything. How do I start? I read post #26, so I know I need to back up my stuff. I assume this is not like a i-phone backup that makes a full copy of the phone (levels in games and everything), but just some of the information.

1) Can I back up all of my text messages?
    2) How are any backups done? If you have a link, that will do.

So now let's say backups are done. Now I have to download Kies from the Samsung website and follow post #26.

3) When you say "it took about 4 minutes to setup apps and start the OS, then I was back to my phone exactly as it was running UCLF5 ," does that include your folder organization, pictures in your contacts, levels your were at in your games, ring tones, etc.?

I'm getting desperate since Gingerbread 2.3.6, that I just got is getting on my nerves.
    07-09-2012 04:00 PM
    Kies updates came in with no problem, including updated USB drivers. My phone hooked right up and updated without a hitch. Looks like all of my apps are still here and I only have to redo my home screens. Not bad at all!!
    07-09-2012 04:06 PM
    Didn't wipe my information either. All contacts, pics, videos are all there. Looks really sweet!!!
    Lots to investigate.
    07-09-2012 04:08 PM
    I've got problems. Bricked my phone.
    07-09-2012 04:25 PM
    Download and update OK. Still have all of my data, lost my screen setup (have to go back setup all of my shortcuts...)
    Phone seems a bit faster...
    07-09-2012 04:34 PM
    Ugh! I'm stuck at 3% for about 10 minutes now. I hope it gets going soon.

Still stuck in the upgrade process at 3%. I'm getting worried. Any ideas? I'm totally stock.
    07-09-2012 04:46 PM
    when checking your address book, has anyone notice how it says check att subscriber and it takes a while doing it, but if you push cancle it goes staight into your address?
    07-09-2012 04:57 PM
    Argh...It won't let me update! "SGH-I717 does not support initializing" is the error I keep getting.This thing is stock as hell.

WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME AT&T!!!
    07-09-2012 05:10 PM
    I was on that build as well, I followed the steps below to go from UCLF6 to UCLF6..

**Backup any data you feel is important first** Pictures, attachments, downloads

Shut down your phone and pull out the battery, write down your S/N for your phone should be 12 alphanumeric characters long.

Install Kies and then click Tools -> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization, click OK

Confirm the next prompt (I don't think mine prompted this, but it did since I have the update now)

Then you should arrive at a screen asking for Serial Number and Model... For S/N put in the number you wrote from under the battery. For Model type in SGH-I717 (all caps or it will fail), click OK.

Then Kies will prompt you to connec the phone... perform the following.

Next you have to put your phone in recovery mode, to do so, make sure it is shut off. Press both volume up and down and do not release, while holding them down plug in USB to the computer and the phone (helps to already have it connected to the PC).

You can release volume up / down when you see green and blue text show up on the screen. This screen will warn you about flashing custom ROMs, just press volume up and the phone will be put in to download mode, you can leave it connected to the computer while in this mode.

Click OK/Next on the computer and the process will begin. The first bar is Kies downloading the update, second bar is it flashing to the phone.

After the first two bars it will prompt you that it is setting up the phone and NOT to disconnect it until the phone reboots. I clicked okay and waited. The phone did reboot 2-3 minutes after that window. Once I saw the AT&T splash screen I disconnected.

Then it took about 4 minutes to setup apps and start the OS, then I was back to my phone exactly as it was running UCLF5 but now was on UCLF6.

In my experience which is limited to just me, it worked great and did not wipe out any data at all! No re-setup for me!

I followed these steps upgrading from UCLF5 and it worked successfully. However, I have some notes. My S/N number was only 11 characters long. Also, your model is SGH-I727 not SGH-I717. The latter is for the Galaxy Note. So make sure you enter the correct one. This method worked for me following the given steps. Once again, this worked for our two phones that were using the latest leak of baseband UCLF5 and I do not know if it will work for the others. However, it seems like it would. This was a nifty trick instead of flashing back to Gingerbread and I wish they would have made this more known that you could do it this way. Good luck everyone and enjoy ICS!!
    brytonic likes this.
    07-09-2012 05:10 PM
    Argh...It won't let me update! "SGH-I717 does not support initializing" is the error I keep getting.This thing is stock as hell.

WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME AT&T!!!
    I think brytonic meant to write "SGH-I727", which is the Skyrocket; the i717 is the Galaxy Note.

@brytonic - If you're going to offer your steps, maybe ensure they are pristine..? It also says for example that you upgraded from UCLF6 to UCLF6.
    brytonic likes this.
    07-09-2012 05:15 PM
    Downloaded and installed the ICS update without a hitch . Played with the facial recognition unlock and was able to spoof it with a photo of my face we took on my friend's iPhone :O - so probably won't use that as much security!
    07-09-2012 05:29 PM
    Going to try dl'ing mine too...*crossing fingers*
    07-09-2012 05:42 PM
148 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD