07-18-2012 03:56 PM
148 12345 ...
tools
    I too am running a super slick version of uclf5. Battery life is freakin awesome. I'm not even thinking about getting the extended life battery now! The screen feels like magic, it's so smooth and fast! Nfc and other goodies are enabled. I LOVE it! This is after coming from another version of Uclf5 was glitchy and battery sucking! Now I gotta decide if I want to take a chance on Uclf6 HELP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    07-09-2012 05:44 PM
    UCLF6 is working smooth as butter...freaking great...waited so long for this I thought I was going to lose my mind....works great updated in about 15 minutes and did not erase everything.... perfect!

07-09-2012 05:53 PM
    Downloaded and installed the ICS update without a hitch . Played with the facial recognition unlock and was able to spoof it with a photo of my face we took on my friend's iPhone :O - so probably won't use that as much security!
    Don't worry in Jelly Bean they fixed this. User has to blink during face unlock in order to verify his identity
    07-09-2012 05:54 PM
    I think brytonic meant to write "SGH-I727", which is the Skyrocket; the i717 is the Galaxy Note.

@brytonic - If you're going to offer your steps, maybe ensure they are pristine..? It also says for example that you upgraded from UCLF6 to UCLF6.
    You are 100% correct, my fault. I updated my original post. Sorry guys, good catch. My fingers were flying to try and help and I missed a critical piece there.
    07-09-2012 06:01 PM
    Okay, TOTAL NEWB ALERT!!!!!!!

My phone is 100% stock and I've never backed up anything. How do I start? I read post #26, so I know I need to back up my stuff. I assume this is not like a i-phone backup that makes a full copy of the phone (levels in games and everything), but just some of the information.

1) Can I back up all of my text messages?
    2) How are any backups done? If you have a link, that will do.

So now let's say backups are done. Now I have to download Kies from the Samsung website and follow post #26.

3) When you say "it took about 4 minutes to setup apps and start the OS, then I was back to my phone exactly as it was running UCLF5 ," does that include your folder organization, pictures in your contacts, levels your were at in your games, ring tones, etc.?

I'm getting desperate since Gingerbread 2.3.6, that I just got is getting on my nerves.
    The 4 minutes was a stock function of the update. I think my phone mentioned 68 or 69 total, and it would count each one. My Go Launcher, Go SMS, home screens and widgets were exactly as I left them, even the wallpaper and lock screen PIN.
    07-09-2012 06:11 PM
    Argh...It won't let me update! "SGH-I717 does not support initializing" is the error I keep getting.This thing is stock as hell.

WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME AT&T!!!
    That was due to a typo of mine and I apologize for that, if you put in SGH-I727 it will move on to the next step, just as Hevroth mentioned (thanks BTW).
    07-09-2012 06:12 PM
    Anyone thought about doing a factory reset I just did.

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums
    07-09-2012 06:21 PM
    Need some help...it keeps telling me i have insufficient space? Do i need to just delete some apps to free up space?? 3000mb is needed?
    07-09-2012 06:23 PM
    I followed these steps upgrading from UCLF5 and it worked successfully. However, I have some notes. My S/N number was only 11 characters long. Also, your model is SGH-I727 not SGH-I717. The latter is for the Galaxy Note. So make sure you enter the correct one. This method worked for me following the given steps. Once again, this worked for our two phones that were using the latest leak of baseband UCLF5 and I do not know if it will work for the others. However, it seems like it would. This was a nifty trick instead of flashing back to Gingerbread and I wish they would have made this more known that you could do it this way. Good luck everyone and enjoy ICS!!
    Thank you for all of the corrections, it looks like a solid guide now!

I came across this method while following the GSII updates. Some users would not get prompted and someone came up with this manual check. Which I performed on my SR just to see what I could achieve... in the end it wiped my phone and I was reset back to 2.3.5, but I gained a bit of knowledge. So long as you can access your bootloader, Kies can recover you to their current version of stock!

Once I saw this update was live and that my phone would just detect my current version in Kies. I attempted those steps again, and saw that Samsung updated their image to the 4.0.4 so the process proved true again.

It is a very helpful nugget indeed! Good day for all of us Skyrocket owners!!
    07-09-2012 06:26 PM
    Need some help...it keeps telling me i have insufficient space? Do i need to just delete some apps to free up space?? 3000mb is needed?
    Sounds like, is that Kies mentioning space? How much free to you have on the drive in question?
    07-09-2012 06:27 PM
    It say i have 11.25GB of internal space on my phone?
    07-09-2012 06:29 PM
    Oh the phone? Wow, that sounds like you are near stock. That should not be the problem.

Are you sure it isn't checking your hard drive space on the PC, to have enough room available so that it can download the update?
    07-09-2012 06:31 PM
    Did a full reset phone is MUCH more smooth than in the beginning just backup your files on kies before

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums
    07-09-2012 06:31 PM
    i think it is the space on my labtop....need to free up some space
    07-09-2012 06:37 PM
    OK guys.. noob here about to get a Skyrocket. If I understand correctly, all you guys are saying the ICS update, 4.0.4 is official and coming from Samsung, right? I already installed Kies on my laptop so when my phone comes, should I update it before setting it up or? Since this isn't an OTA update, I suspect the new phone will have 2.3.5 running instead.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I want to do this right and so far, I'm not that thrilled about the GS3 other than the camera and HD screen. Thanks.
    07-09-2012 07:09 PM
    I too am running a super slick version of uclf5. Battery life is freakin awesome. I'm not even thinking about getting the extended life battery now! The screen feels like magic, it's so smooth and fast! Nfc and other goodies are enabled. I LOVE it! This is after coming from another version of Uclf5 was glitchy and battery sucking! Now I gotta decide if I want to take a chance on Uclf6 HELP!

Don't know how comfortable you are with flashing CWM or rooting, but perhaps you can do a nandroid backup of UCLF5 in case you don't like the official update?

I feel you guys on the hesitation. I'm running Sky ICS 4.2F (based on the official Rogers rom), and it is running perfectly as far as I can tell. Don't know if I want to switch.
    07-09-2012 07:24 PM
    OK guys.. noob here about to get a Skyrocket. If I understand correctly, all you guys are saying the ICS update, 4.0.4 is official and coming from Samsung, right? I already installed Kies on my laptop so when my phone comes, should I update it before setting it up or? Since this isn't an OTA update, I suspect the new phone will have 2.3.5 running instead.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I want to do this right and so far, I'm not that thrilled about the GS3 other than the camera and HD screen. Thanks.
    This is indeed the official update (I think anything through Kies is official). I don't know if you necessarily need the latest version of Kies, but when I updated my gf's SGS4G awhile back, the instructions said I needed to be on the latest version. So, I'm gonna say maybe "yes", to be safe? Can someone else confirm?

BTW, welcome aboard, Jon. You're gonna love it.
    07-09-2012 07:27 PM

This is completely official, I've been running it for a couple hours and let me tell you it is smooth as butter (after a factory reset) for someone who was on gb so long I know it will take some time getting used to. But after first looks everything looks awesome I'm kind of in shock.

07-09-2012 07:41 PM
    This is indeed the official update (I think anything through Kies is official). I don't know if you necessarily need the latest version of Kies, but when I updated my gf's SGS4G awhile back, the instructions said I needed to be on the latest version. So, I'm gonna say maybe "yes", to be safe? Can someone else confirm?

BTW, welcome aboard, Jon. You're gonna love it.
    When I went to update and opened Kies it said a new version was available right away so I installed that. Once complete I plugged in my phone and it immediately recognized a firmware update was available.
    07-09-2012 07:43 PM
    i'm having some issues updating my skyrocket.. it finished downloading the update to the phone and told me to unplug and plug the device. once i did that, it moved to a screen saying:

"Android is upgrading... Upgrading media database..." and it's been on this screen for about 30 mins now; nothing has changed. is anyone having a similar problem?
    07-09-2012 07:51 PM
    Finally!! updated through kies and is working great! about damn time
    07-09-2012 07:55 PM
    i'm having some issues updating my skyrocket.. it finished downloading the update to the phone and told me to unplug and plug the device. once i did that, it moved to a screen saying:

"Android is upgrading... Upgrading media database..." and it's been on this screen for about 30 mins now; nothing has changed. is anyone having a similar problem?

I thought that was weird when I did mine. I just left it plugged in until in was fully rebooted and it worked fine. I would recommend doing that.
    07-09-2012 07:59 PM
    text messaging seems to be lagging a bit...
    07-09-2012 07:59 PM
    text messaging seems to be lagging a bit...
    Yeah I wish we had the old keyboard this one lags like crazy

07-09-2012 08:16 PM
    Just when i trade my Skyrocket for an iPhone 4s. Boooo! Oh well. Updating the gf's phone now. I plan to get a Skyrocket again (the white one I believe) soon as a backup phone.
    07-09-2012 08:32 PM
148 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD