Android 4.0.4 for the Skyrocket available via Kies?

jrodell

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Download and update OK. Still have all of my data, lost my screen setup (have to go back setup all of my shortcuts...)
Phone seems a bit faster...

trumpetdude88

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Ugh! I'm stuck at 3% for about 10 minutes now. I hope it gets going soon.

Still stuck in the upgrade process at 3%. I'm getting worried. Any ideas? I'm totally stock.

Last edited:

spddy

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
when checking your address book, has anyone notice how it says check att subscriber and it takes a while doing it, but if you push cancle it goes staight into your address?

DFWPhotoguy

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Argh...It won't let me update! "SGH-I717 does not support initializing" is the error I keep getting.This thing is stock as hell.

WHY DO YOU TAUNT ME AT&T!!!

dco50321

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I was on that build as well, I followed the steps below to go from UCLF6 to UCLF6..

**Backup any data you feel is important first** Pictures, attachments, downloads

Shut down your phone and pull out the battery, write down your S/N for your phone should be 12 alphanumeric characters long.

Install Kies and then click Tools -> Firmware Upgrade and Initialization, click OK

Confirm the next prompt (I don't think mine prompted this, but it did since I have the update now)

Then you should arrive at a screen asking for Serial Number and Model... For S/N put in the number you wrote from under the battery. For Model type in SGH-I717 (all caps or it will fail), click OK.

Then Kies will prompt you to connec the phone... perform the following.

Next you have to put your phone in recovery mode, to do so, make sure it is shut off. Press both volume up and down and do not release, while holding them down plug in USB to the computer and the phone (helps to already have it connected to the PC).

You can release volume up / down when you see green and blue text show up on the screen. This screen will warn you about flashing custom ROMs, just press volume up and the phone will be put in to download mode, you can leave it connected to the computer while in this mode.

Click OK/Next on the computer and the process will begin. The first bar is Kies downloading the update, second bar is it flashing to the phone.

After the first two bars it will prompt you that it is setting up the phone and NOT to disconnect it until the phone reboots. I clicked okay and waited. The phone did reboot 2-3 minutes after that window. Once I saw the AT&T splash screen I disconnected.

Then it took about 4 minutes to setup apps and start the OS, then I was back to my phone exactly as it was running UCLF5 but now was on UCLF6.

In my experience which is limited to just me, it worked great and did not wipe out any data at all! No re-setup for me!

I followed these steps upgrading from UCLF5 and it worked successfully. However, I have some notes. My S/N number was only 11 characters long. Also, your model is SGH-I727 not SGH-I717. The latter is for the Galaxy Note. So make sure you enter the correct one. This method worked for me following the given steps. Once again, this worked for our two phones that were using the latest leak of baseband UCLF5 and I do not know if it will work for the others. However, it seems like it would. This was a nifty trick instead of flashing back to Gingerbread and I wish they would have made this more known that you could do it this way. Good luck everyone and enjoy ICS!! ;)

Reactions: brytonic

Hevroth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Argh...It won't let me update! "SGH-I717 does not support initializing" is the error I keep getting.This thing is stock as hell.

I think brytonic meant to write "SGH-I727", which is the Skyrocket; the i717 is the Galaxy Note.

@brytonic - If you're going to offer your steps, maybe ensure they are pristine..? It also says for example that you upgraded from UCLF6 to UCLF6. :)

Reactions: brytonic

brandmward

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded and installed the ICS update without a hitch . Played with the facial recognition unlock and was able to spoof it with a photo of my face we took on my friend's iPhone :O - so probably won't use that as much security!

Jondroid2

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I too am running a super slick version of uclf5. Battery life is freakin awesome. I'm not even thinking about getting the extended life battery now! The screen feels like magic, it's so smooth and fast! Nfc and other goodies are enabled. I LOVE it! This is after coming from another version of Uclf5 was glitchy and battery sucking! Now I gotta decide if I want to take a chance on Uclf6 :-\ HELP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

toddrizzo

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
UCLF6 is working smooth as butter...freaking great...waited so long for this I thought I was going to lose my mind....works great updated in about 15 minutes and did not erase everything.... perfect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded and installed the ICS update without a hitch . Played with the facial recognition unlock and was able to spoof it with a photo of my face we took on my friend's iPhone :O - so probably won't use that as much security!

Don't worry in Jelly Bean they fixed this. User has to blink during face unlock in order to verify his identity :)

brytonic

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I think brytonic meant to write "SGH-I727", which is the Skyrocket; the i717 is the Galaxy Note.

@brytonic - If you're going to offer your steps, maybe ensure they are pristine..? It also says for example that you upgraded from UCLF6 to UCLF6. :)

You are 100% correct, my fault. I updated my original post. Sorry guys, good catch. My fingers were flying to try and help and I missed a critical piece there.

brytonic

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Okay, TOTAL NEWB ALERT!!!!!!!

My phone is 100% stock and I've never backed up anything. How do I start? I read post #26, so I know I need to back up my stuff. I assume this is not like a i-phone backup that makes a full copy of the phone (levels in games and everything), but just some of the information.

1) Can I back up all of my text messages?
2) How are any backups done? If you have a link, that will do.

So now let's say backups are done. Now I have to download Kies from the Samsung website and follow post #26.

3) When you say "it took about 4 minutes to setup apps and start the OS, then I was back to my phone exactly as it was running UCLF5 ," does that include your folder organization, pictures in your contacts, levels your were at in your games, ring tones, etc.?

I'm getting desperate since Gingerbread 2.3.6, that I just got is getting on my nerves.

The 4 minutes was a stock function of the update. I think my phone mentioned 68 or 69 total, and it would count each one. My Go Launcher, Go SMS, home screens and widgets were exactly as I left them, even the wallpaper and lock screen PIN.

brytonic

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

That was due to a typo of mine and I apologize for that, if you put in SGH-I727 it will move on to the next step, just as Hevroth mentioned (thanks BTW).

bwil18

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Need some help...it keeps telling me i have insufficient space? Do i need to just delete some apps to free up space?? 3000mb is needed?

brytonic

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I followed these steps upgrading from UCLF5 and it worked successfully. However, I have some notes. My S/N number was only 11 characters long. Also, your model is SGH-I727 not SGH-I717. The latter is for the Galaxy Note. So make sure you enter the correct one. This method worked for me following the given steps. Once again, this worked for our two phones that were using the latest leak of baseband UCLF5 and I do not know if it will work for the others. However, it seems like it would. This was a nifty trick instead of flashing back to Gingerbread and I wish they would have made this more known that you could do it this way. Good luck everyone and enjoy ICS!! ;)

Thank you for all of the corrections, it looks like a solid guide now!

I came across this method while following the GSII updates. Some users would not get prompted and someone came up with this manual check. Which I performed on my SR just to see what I could achieve... in the end it wiped my phone and I was reset back to 2.3.5, but I gained a bit of knowledge. So long as you can access your bootloader, Kies can recover you to their current version of stock!

Once I saw this update was live and that my phone would just detect my current version in Kies. I attempted those steps again, and saw that Samsung updated their image to the 4.0.4 so the process proved true again.

It is a very helpful nugget indeed! Good day for all of us Skyrocket owners!!