Android 4.0.4 for the Skyrocket available via Kies?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
It took longer than a minute for me too, but more like 5 minutes. I guess it varies from person to person.

My only gripe early on is that I have to reconfigure my home screens, and hide/delete the bloat (again). Anyone find out if NFC functions for them?

feelinfroggy23

May 4, 2012
Visit site
No fair man...i plugged in my phone and no update. I deleted and entailed kies and still nothing. I had the update for kies too. Am i doing something wrong?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Beacio_mo

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
How were you able to capture the screen shot? Pressing the Power button and Home button together is not working for me after the upgrade.

Hold down the Power and Home button for 3 seconds and it will work

Oh and ICS is great! I love the keyboard, the task manager, Chrome, and Apex Launcher! So much better then Go Launcher running ICS theme (no offense to Go Launcher since it really helped me get by)

randre7

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T Skyrocket crashed while upgrading to ics and went to emergency recovery mode then got stuck saying I need to chose another recovery mode but won't recognize my Skyrocket now.
I chatted with Samsung but they could not help.
What can I do to get out of recovery mode and/or get Kies to recognize my phone? :-\

Reactions: feelinfroggy23

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It took longer than a minute for me too, but more like 5 minutes. I guess it varies from person to person.

My only gripe early on is that I have to reconfigure my home screens, and hide/delete the bloat (again). Anyone find out if NFC functions for them?

NFC works perfectly fine. tried to share varios webpages between two skyrockets. pretty cool i must say

gzbsds

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
My AT&T Skyrocket crashed while upgrading to ics and went to emergency recovery mode then got stuck saying I need to chose another recovery mode but won't recognize my Skyrocket now.
I chatted with Samsung but they could not help.
What can I do to get out of recovery mode and/or get Kies to recognize my phone? :-\

Same thing happen to me when I attempted to upgrade to ICS. Fortunately, I live very close to an ATT repair shop. I tried it twice. After going back a second time, I was told that this was happening to several folks including myself. The Techs informed me that the ICE update for the Skyrocket is very buggy and again I was not alone. They also informed me that Jellybean for the Sky is going to come out in a couple of months for this very reason. When I took it in, they said that they did not have the ICS update yes and will call me when they get it in.

trumpetdude88

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happen to me when I attempted to upgrade to ICS. Fortunately, I live very close to an ATT repair shop. I tried it twice. After going back a second time, I was told that this was happening to several folks including myself. The Techs informed me that the ICE update for the Skyrocket is very buggy and again I was not alone. They also informed me that Jellybean for the Sky is going to come out in a couple of months for this very reason. When I took it in, they said that they did not have the ICS update yes and will call me when they get it in.
So what did you end up doing? Did they replace it?

misterbiscuit

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
How were you able to capture the screen shot? Pressing the Power button and Home button together is not working for me after the upgrade.

Power and Home button is how I captured it. It seems a bit finnicky though. Be sure to press them both at the same time. When I pressed and held Power and then pressed Home, it didn't work for me.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
How in the heck do you connect your phone to Kies on the PC? I only have "Kies Air" on my Skyrocket but downloaded the Kies software on my PC. I see options for USB and Wi-Fi but no option to connect. I tried connecting Kies Air and did the web browser thing and it worked, but no where in the web browser Kies did I see options for updating the OS. Help?! This Kies software is so dumb!!! Why couldn't AT&T just push it out OTA, it would be so much easier and quicker! I miss that when I was on Verizon with the OG Droid. Ugh!

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It worked! ICS is up and running! :D

Is a factory reset necessary after updating? Does it put a bunch of trash files/folders on your phone's storage? How is performance? Similar or same to GB?

If I'll have to Factory Reset (with the Vibrant it seems the phone always was messed up after any update) then I'll have to pass on it until I feel like installing and setting up all my apps again... :-(

EDIT: From what I've read in the thread thus far, I will just go ahead and do a factory reset after I get all my videos and pictures off my phone...

EDIT: Failed Firmware installation going to emergency recovery. If this bricks my phone the AT&T store will have never seen an angrier customer...

Last edited:

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
A factory reset is not necessary, but i dont see it hurting your phone either. I would wait a day and see how everything works out first. Give it a little time to settle in.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay the recovery works. I think I know what an issue may be:

IF YOU HAVE A DESKTOP COMPUTER, MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT YOUR PHONE TO A USB 2.0 PORT - NOT A USB 1.1 PORT. IF YOUR PHONE IS PLUGGED INTO THE BACK OF YOUR COMPUTER, TAKE IT OUT AND PLUG IT INTO ONE OF THE FRONT USB 2.0 PORTS ON YOUR PC.

Sometimes the USB ports go bad and it cases driver install errors, Kies connection issues, and errors while the PC is transferring data to the device during the upgrade process.

Android is upgrading... Optimizing Applications... Blablabla XD

Lots of force closures so I think a factory reset would probably best a good thing to do after updating.

Last edited:

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Bricked my phone as well. Stuck in upgrade failed screed, and Kies emergency recovery can't fix it. Wow... so far ICS is really cool and worth it.... not.:-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7