Android 4.0.4 for the Skyrocket available via Kies?

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
For the most part, I like it. It installed easily enough. Battery life has been decent so far. I noticed they still haven't fixed the Live Wallpaper issue.....thought they were going to work that out?? At any rate more to come as I test out ICS.

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Just installed it - took less than 20 minutes. It seems a little faster and I like it. I just need to get used to it; but it I think it's great so far.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Battery life for me doesn't seem to be as good as before, but then again, I've been playing around with it alot today. I'll give out a few days and see what I think of it then. I have noticed some lagging when I'm typing on certain apps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My damn upgrade is stuck at 6% for the last 30 minutes. I'm afraid to see whats going to happen. I already bricked an android.
Congrats to the people that got it working.

Moodubs

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
so far I can't stand Kies...got connected tried to back up my stuff before updating...crashed twice...uninstalled, reinstalled...now it won't even connect to my phone. What a great way to release an update, using crappy software.

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm so pissed. Now i'm trying emergency recovery, then I'll try some Odin procedure.
I'm using my iPhone for the rest of the week. (kinda have to now..)

Mawie732

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one having this problem? I upgraded to ICS and noticed that pics I downloaded from the net after the upgrade warn't on my albums. Then a friend said that the same happened to him and that the newer pics were now all the way to the back instead of on top of the albums like it was on Gingerbread. Is there any way to change this so that the newer pics stay on top? I've looking around my phone but I can't find any settings anywhere for the albums.

Hevroth

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
When I pull battery out, put back in and power up, screen says: Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again. When I select emergency recovery mode and enter in the code they give, it just sits there and hangs.

Is there a recover mode on the phone itself?

I got the recovery mode messages in Kies too, and here's how I fixed it:

1> deny when it asks you to start recovery mode (hit cancel)
2> close Kies
3> use Windows' "safely remove hardware" for your phone (don't know if this is needed or not, I am just always extra careful
4> cancel usb mode on your phone, if it's in it
5> remove usb cable from phone (at this point I also did a battery pull power cycle just because I am anal)
6> reconnect usb cable to phone
7> make sure Windows recognizes it (should see some transparent drives in Computer if you have not enabled usb mode yet <- btw it's fine to not enable usb mode, it's not needed)
8> launch Kies
9> should get a message about the firmware upgrade, not the recovery mode
10> if not, then hit cancel on the recovery mode prompt
11> do steps 3-7 again to remove/reconnect your phone (all while Kies is still open)
12> it should give you the prompt about the firmware upgrade this time

and since I made this mistake, I'll make sure and mention it: don't use a third-party usb cable. If it worked for you, awesome, but I wasn't able to upgrade until I used my Samsung usb cable.

Battery life for me doesn't seem to be as good as before, but then again, I've been playing around with it alot today. I'll give out a few days and see what I think of it then. I have noticed some lagging when I'm typing on certain apps.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2

yeah, I've noticed some lag when switching between the letters and numbers keyboards.

anon(552018)

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Ooops, after I posted that, the Kies emergency recovery installed LF6 ICS 4.0.4...miraculously.
Bad thing is now my phone is 100% stock, all my apps are gone, good thing I backed up all photos a few hours ago.
I want this mess never again.

jzisson

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Skyrocket ICS update (finally!) be careful what you wish4

After patiently waiting 9 months since I bought my phone, on the promise that it would be updated in the 4Q/11to ICS, ATT/Samsung finally decided it was time to release a not so robust update from Gingerbread (which was very stable) to ICS 4.0.4 which I find to be somewhat laggy and prone to freezes, quite a disappointment given the wait. Don't even mention wonderful ATT 4G LTE coverage areas (not).

Anyway after about 1 hour of dealing with the Kies PC download and install to my PC and one failed sync try, I finally was able to get it installed. How do I know? The phone settings now reflect current ICS version. However, in addition to how shakey the stability of new apps is, I also had to go through 3 battery pulls, + remove and re-insert my microSD card in order to restore about 1/3 of my 170 apps that took a hike during the upgrade. This was after calling Samsung Tech support who could only propose a hard reset and start again from scratch in reinstalling each app + re-entering all data set-ups. Luckily, I did not follow that suggestion or I would be up all night restoring phone.

However one of the biggest disappointments, if not the biggest disappointments is that the ATT update is still covered in Touch "Wiz" 4 which is a big bummer. Neither the phone dialer, contact app, or notification bar updated for me. What has changed is a new email app that is not as smart looking as the one in Gingerbread that it has replaced. ATT never cease to amaze me, along with Samsung in how much they can mess up what should be a transparent OTA update process with a stable release that "just works" that is a genuine UI update, not warmed over Touch Wiz 4 ( and Gingerbread was smoother, too.) Personally, I can't wait for a newer Google Nexus with more powerful chip, LTE and 4.5-4.7 HD screen so I can loose this p.o.s. Anyway, if you've been struggling with similar issues after upgrade, please know you are not alone. Way too much like work!

Moodubs

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am now running ICS...after reinstalling Keis, and not trying to back up and data, the actual instal went very smooth. I was also happy to see when I loaded my GoLauncher it had saved all my icons and screens from before the update. I thought that I was going to have to redo everything. Very Thankful to not have ran into some of the issues that seem to be happening.

mike52599

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Try a different USB cable. I had the same thing using a cable from my wall charger. I used the one that came with the phone and my PC recognized the phone right away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Markersk

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, and this may be a duhh obvious for most of you... I couldn't get my phone out of emergency recover mode no matter what I did. Mercifully I live close to an ATT tech center. The tech immediately recovered my phone to gingerbread. Also advised me that the settings on my phone were not ideal for a usb connection, and therefore showed me to applications/Development- check usb debugging AND check Allow mock locations. For some reason, these selections were not checked before. I have always had issues with my computer recognizing my phone without repeated re-installations of drivers.

Went home, hooked phone up to computer, recognized immediately, launched Kies, updated immediately to ICS. Viola. Again, I know many of you are going... duhh... but I simply was not aware of these settings. So for those having computer phone driver issues... just something to check!:)

kittypuncher

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I am getting the same message. Also, it seems like the newest kies update is not being applied. I have downloaded the new software update dozens of times, but when the dl is finished, I am prompted to download it again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled kids and drivers several times with no improvement. If anyone has worked through this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated!

The error message I am getting is: sgh-i727 does not support initialization.

Last edited:

DWSmith75002

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Try a different USB cable. I had the same thing using a cable from my wall charger. I used the one that came with the phone and my PC recognized the phone right away.

What he said! My phone was stuck in emergency recovery mode for two days and I tried everything. I had assumed my usb cable was good because I had been using it just a few days before with Kies and it worked fine (My USB ports are in the back of my computer so I was using a longer cable). Last night I tried the original cable out of desperation and the phone immediately recovered and installed the ICS update. Which was really good because I was moments away from putting the phone under the wheel of my car!

Oh yeah, first post! Great forum guys!

clintkirk

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I am getting the same message. Also, it seems like the newest kies update is not being applied. I have downloaded the new software update dozens of times, but when the dl is finished, I am prompted to download it again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled kids and drivers several times with no improvement. If anyone has worked through this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I was having the same problem, I uninstall the Kies on the computer. Went to the Samsung website downloaded the lastest Kies with the updates already included. Everything worked fine.

brkaras

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Had to use my computer at work but got it done and its smooth as butter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke