07-30-2012 02:17 PM
46 12
tools
    I have periodic drop out of GPS as well, but mostly at start. I did data reset which fixed most issues, but this is new issue after reset. I have Razr.
    07-12-2012 11:19 PM
    I was about ready to roll back to GB, and I thought looking at the latest Google maps feedback, I though I would just remove the maps update to see what would happen. So far GPS gets a lock within 3 to 4 seconds after the icon lights up just as it did on GB. To me this seems a simple fix to just remove the maps update. So far its running like a champ. Can anyone else confirm and see if it works for you? EDIT.... STILL NOT WORKING PROPERLY. GRRR!
    07-14-2012 01:00 PM
    Maps have nothing to do with that, you can download any GPS test app and see how many satellites your phone can see and how quickly it locks. Also When you look at your notification bar while running maps you'll notice the GPS indicator keeps flashing and cannot get a lock
    07-14-2012 02:20 PM
    Good news. Having the same very slow response 3-5 minutes. Fired up Nav this morning and same thing - about 5 minutes to lock. Fired up again and instant GPS! Then again with same results. Not really sure what happened, but I did run GPS Status and reset data (a fix recommended in another forum) late last night. Same long response the first use, then very fast afterwards. Hopefully the fix will remain.
    07-14-2012 04:39 PM
    I honestly don't know what GPS issues everyone is having. Mine seems to work rather well. This test was done indoors.Attachment 30855

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    07-14-2012 09:51 PM
    that's. cool what app is that you used for the test?
    I don't have any problems either, just finished 800 mile vacation and gps worked great even through the mountains when I had no phone service.
    07-15-2012 01:06 PM
    It's called GPS Test by Chartcross Limited
    07-15-2012 01:37 PM
    Count me in! My GPS only locks when I restart the phone or use some third party app to fix it. Running stock AT&T ics . Before update my GPS locked in seconds.

The same and very familiar problem was happening with my old droid charge (Samsung) back in October when I was on Verizon. I can't remember what android version I was running but It also began after some update. So yaeh think this is software problem because third party apps can fix it. Who to blame AT&T or Samsung maybe they both messing around with the software. For those of you whos saying it works fine make sure your cell and Google location are off And see if it locks only by using GPS .
    07-17-2012 11:42 PM
    Starting to think att break things on purpose. Just to force you buy the next latest and greatest. My inspire was fine till it was updated, messed up text messages and they never resolved it, not to my knowledge anyway. I was feed up with waiting for a fix and moved on to SR.
    YES that's exactly what they are doing. But if look at it from the programing view they had to write some kinda code to enable bad gps signal. If only some smart person would find that code and confirm it.. that would be awesome!

But it's probably encrypted or hidden so no one can find it
    07-18-2012 07:53 AM
    YES that's exactly what they are doing. But if look at it from the programing view they had to write some kinda code to enable bad gps signal. If only some smart person would find that code and confirm it.. that would be awesome!

But it's probably encrypted or hidden so no one can find it
    It's more like they don't care and don't want to dedicate time for older devices so this issue may or may not be fixed.. That is if they'll address this problem in the next update... I replied on your PM btw.
    07-18-2012 12:29 PM
    Well its officially in the news lets see if they care. But for now I can live without GPS.
    Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket Update to Android 4.04 ICS with Bugs Reported | WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS
    07-18-2012 03:02 PM
    My GPS stopped working after ICS upgrade on my Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. It say, seaching using GPS... I called both ATT and Samsung, both told me to call the other both said the phone was working fine. Any ideas. I tried reseting everything i could.
    07-19-2012 08:13 PM
    I'm starting to notice sparotic issues with my GPS after upgrading to ICS.
    07-20-2012 05:52 AM
    I noticed this same thing for the first few days with ICS. I noticed that if I opened an app that used GPS, such as Facebook, then tried using GPS in another app shortly after, it would not lock on. After getting some app updates and playing with the phone for the past week, rebooting due to some battery drain issues, my GPS is working like a champ, no problems whatsoever. I can't tell you what fixed it, although I WAS running launcher pro when I was having all of these issues. Since removing it, my phone is working GREAT!
    07-22-2012 01:33 PM
    Has anyone found a fix for this yet? My phone just will not lock on after the ICS stock update.
    07-25-2012 05:15 AM
    Had the same problem. I don't have a fix, but I went back to GB, all's well again.
    07-25-2012 08:36 AM
    Count me in! My GPS only locks when I restart the phone or use some third party app to fix it. Running stock AT&T ics . Before update my GPS locked in seconds.

The same and very familiar problem was happening with my old droid charge (Samsung) back in October when I was on Verizon. I can't remember what android version I was running but It also began after some update. So yaeh think this is software problem because third party apps can fix it. Who to blame AT&T or Samsung maybe they both messing around with the software. For those of you whos saying it works fine make sure your cell and Google location are off And see if it locks only by using GPS .
    I had the GPS problem after the upgrade, so I disabled Google Location, the result: immediate GPS lock!
    07-26-2012 09:21 PM
    I'm having exactly the same problem with Skyrocket II
    One additional comment: on google maps (without navigation) the GPS usually gets my position right when I click on the button to center the map on my current location. But when I try to use the google navigation, it stays searching for gps for ages. After it finds it the first time, I can exit navigation and re-enter with no gps lag usually. But if I turn the gps or the phone off, next time I try navigation the same gps location problem occurs.
    I have tried NavFree US and also had problems, so that it does not seems as a problem with the nagivation software itself (although for some reason the map alone usually gets my position right but that may be through tower and wifi auxiliaries).
    I have tried turning off the google location service as some people have suggested but it didn't changed anything.
    Seriously thinking about going for the downgrade... the GPS was actually one of the main reasons for buying that phone in the first place.
    07-27-2012 10:26 PM
    google location service has nothing to do with gps! he just think so!

Like for example yesterday i couldn't lock my location and one hour later it locked it..then 30 minutes later couldn't lock again but an hour later locked. Most of the time it works..
    07-28-2012 10:33 AM
    Turning Location Services GPS off, then on works for me.
    07-29-2012 11:29 AM
    And it's quite inaccurate when you're away from WiFi, especially, rendering it quite useless in many cases.

I don't have any GPS issues, though.
    07-30-2012 02:17 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD