07-30-2012 02:17 PM
46 12
tools
    OK so I'm having issues with the GPS on both units ( the second one is a warranty exchange unit which I'm sending back soon) Both units work fine on Gingerbread and lock on satellites within 5 -7 seconds, whereas on ICS they are struggling to obtain a position fix (takes very long to lock, sometimes doesn't lock at all) I've had this issue on all ICS leaks and still having it on official release as well, now on both units. I've tried using GPS Status and Toolbox app but that doesnt seem to have any effect. Anyone else having simular issues? I use GPS very often and I can't have it malfunctioning like that. I might go back to Gingerbread just because of this problem. Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!
    07-10-2012 12:05 AM
    I just tested mine so far it seems to be working as before for me, I'll monitor it and update, if something changes but so far so good for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    dalvik likes this.
    07-10-2012 01:06 AM
    GPS works fine for me.
    dalvik likes this.
    07-10-2012 06:44 AM
    OK, so since this morning i was testing the exchange unit and it does the same thing, The GPS is very sporadic, it locks quickly for the first few times, then later (20 -30 mins) cannot get the position fix at all or takes veeeery long time to lock. I'm returning the exchange unit and most likely will be loading GB back on my original device. I wish I could sell my SR and get the Galaxy Nexus but the GN also has problems of its own. I'm not sure if the GPS issue is due to poor software programming on Samsung's side or AT&T but at least I don't have this problem on gingerbread so hardware-wise my phone is fine.
    07-10-2012 11:46 AM
    OK, so since this morning i was testing the exchange unit and it does the same thing, The GPS is very sporadic, it locks quickly for the first few times, then later (20 -30 mins) cannot get the position fix at all or takes veeeery long time to lock. I'm returning the exchange unit and most likely will be loading GB back on my original device. I wish I could sell my SR and get the Galaxy Nexus but the GN also has problems of its own. I'm not sure if the GPS issue is due to poor software programming on Samsung's side or AT&T but at least I don't have this problem on gingerbread so hardware-wise my phone is fine.
    Sorry to hear you are still having trouble Trev.

The device I am using was warranty exchanged right after launch due to the 2.3.6 causing major issues with my initial unit. Since then the Skyrocket has been the best phone I have ever used. From 2.3.5, 2.3.6, Leak #3 and now the official 4.0.4 the phone has only gotten better.

I came from a Captivate which could have the worst GPS chipset ever invented, so I notice often when the SR is working great, which is almost all of the time. At least in my experience the GPS has been flawless on the SR even through the updates.

Hope you have better luck with another exchange.
    dalvik likes this.
    07-10-2012 12:37 PM
    Sorry to hear you are still having trouble Trev.

The device I am using was warranty exchanged right after launch due to the 2.3.6 causing major issues with my initial unit. Since then the Skyrocket has been the best phone I have ever used. From 2.3.5, 2.3.6, Leak #3 and now the official 4.0.4 the phone has only gotten better.

I came from a Captivate which could have the worst GPS chipset ever invented, so I notice often when the SR is working great, which is almost all of the time. At least in my experience the GPS has been flawless on the SR even through the updates.

Hope you have better luck with another exchange.
    thanks. like I said the GPS works perfectly fine on GB. So I'm shipping back the exchange unit and won't be ordering another one. I am tempted to use an early iphone upgrade though which I currently have available for my line... but the iphone has lots of limitations too so this is a very serious decision... in a mean time, i just flashed the GB on my SR and will be using it for now, I heavily rely in GPS and I cannot have this feature malfunctiong.
    07-10-2012 01:08 PM
    I upgraded to ICS this morning and noticed it took a few minutes for the GPS to get a lock instead the 7 or 8 seconds it used to. I think gingerbread had a menu option for a GPS data 'pre-download' of somesort that is supposed to speed up the signal sync. I cannot find a similar menu option in ICS.
    dalvik likes this.
    07-10-2012 09:41 PM
    No problems here. Google Maps working good. Acquired my location within 30 seconds and accuracy was spot on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    dalvik likes this.
    07-11-2012 12:38 AM
    It was really slow after upgrading. But after rebooting it is back to normal for me.
    dalvik likes this.
    07-11-2012 12:38 AM
    Mines sporadic sometimes it works and sometimes it won't. I may do a factory reset and see if it clears up. A real bummer.
    dalvik likes this.
    07-11-2012 05:58 AM
    I upgraded to the Leak #3 - had GPS problems with it - and upgraded to the official ICS yesterday. Had no issues with the GPS yesterday, and this morning I had to reboot my phone to get GPS to work again. When I was on GB I had 0 issues with GPS - but now I'm just hoping for an update soon to fix the issue.
    dalvik likes this.
    07-11-2012 06:33 AM
    thank you guys for your feedback. So I was right then, the issue is with the ICS software for the SR, The Galaxy Nexus didn't have this problem. (I placed another oder for this phone btw). I tried experimenting by flashing different radios from all the ICS leaks and official Rogers rom but to no avail. I wonder if anyone with the Canadian SR has the same issue. Idk how long will it take for Samsung to come out with the patch, this is unacceptable.
    07-11-2012 08:04 AM
    Confirmed a wipe did not fix the problem.; (
    07-11-2012 10:52 AM
    Confirmed a wipe did not fix the problem.; (
    correct, it won't, as i said earlier, the problem is how the software was programmed for either the radio or in the ICS rom itself, and is causing this bug. I'm pretty sure it can be fixed with a patch, the question is whether there will be a patch for it.... untill then I'm back to GB (and waiting for the tracking # for the GN)
    07-11-2012 11:05 AM
    I'm pretty sure the bug exists on everyone's SR which has been updated to ICS. its just some people don't use GPS very often on their phones so they might not notice it or it may even work for them at some particular moment. Also the cellular triangulation helps to pinpoint your location so for basic google maps lookup this should suffice, whereas you will need the GPS lock in order to use Google Navigation which I happend to use very often so this ICS update just doesn't cut it. they gotta do better than this after having people to wait for hell knows how many months...
    07-11-2012 11:20 AM
    So basically its after the GPS has been in use for ahwhile right? I'm gonna have to go on a nice extended walk tonight and test mine I'm all paranoid now cause I gotta have a good working GPS

07-11-2012 12:20 PM
    So basically its after the GPS has been in use for ahwhile right? I'm gonna have to go on a nice extended walk tonight and test mine I'm all paranoid now cause I gotta have a good working GPS

it's very sporadic. i could pick up my phone any moment and bring up the google maps and it will lock even inside of my appartement within like 10 seconds, then an hour later I would go to my car or just outside on the street and the the gps icon on notification bar would just keep flashing for 1-3-5 minutes and not get a lock. I've downloaded the "GPS Status and Toolbox" app from the google play and it shows you exactly how many satellites your phone can see and how fast it would lock. this is a better way to check, also it has this option to download gps data to speed up the satellite lock, but it doesn't have any effect on my phone no mater how many times I try to dl-d it because the problem is not with the hardware, another thing worth noting is that after completely powering down the phone it may start working but then the same thing happens again, but just restarting the phone doesn't seem to help it at all. Of course being as paranoid as I'm about this issue I was testing it literally non stop whenever and wherever I could, rebooting, restarting and also flashing different radios going back and forth to GB and ICS and finally doing the same tests on the warranty exchange unit I can say the problem exhibits itself very often (about 50% of the time) on both devices
    Uselessbass likes this.
    07-11-2012 01:34 PM
    having the same issue plus battery life stinks.Need a update for the update
    Uselessbass and dalvik like this.
    07-11-2012 06:53 PM
    Starting to think att break things on purpose. Just to force you buy the next latest and greatest. My inspire was fine till it was updated, messed up text messages and they never resolved it, not to my knowledge anyway. I was feed up with waiting for a fix and moved on to SR.
    07-11-2012 09:31 PM
    Starting to think att break things on purpose. Just to force you buy the next latest and greatest. My inspire was fine till it was updated, messed up text messages and they never resolved it, not to my knowledge anyway. I was feed up with waiting for a fix and moved on to SR.
    as pessimistic as it may sound, I for one, have a feeling this issue will never be fixed. I agree with you about how they force you to buy the new stuff thus making you to continue extending your contract (this is how they really make money, not from the sales of devices) I decided to give the Galaxy Nexus another chance and hoping to get a shipping info soon. There are only two phones out there that always get prompt updates and fixes - the fruit phone and unlocked Nexus sold directly from the google store.
    07-11-2012 09:46 PM
    Nexus would be my next option, however I'm on the lookout for more reports on this problem.hoping att will take note of this and address it swiftly, shame for a device that always had a rock solid GPS that worked every time I needed it.
    07-11-2012 09:58 PM
    I've had the same issue with my SR since updating to ICS. Once it finds the GPS, it is spot on, but what used to take a max of maybe 15 seconds, now takes anywhere from 2-15 minutes. Looked all through the settings for the cell assist (can't remember exactly what it was called though) that worked in connection with GPS to establish your location, but looks like that has been reminded.
    07-12-2012 04:25 PM
    Same problem. Yesterday took about a minute, vs seconds before. Today, 3-5 minutes, no GPS yet!
    07-12-2012 05:07 PM
    GPS accuracy is much worse on RAZR Maxx after ICS update. Large blue circle around arrow causes major issues with navigation. Location is off by 200 to 300 yards typically.
    07-12-2012 07:26 PM
    OK so I'm having issues with the GPS on both units ( the second one is a warranty exchange unit which I'm sending back soon) Both units work fine on Gingerbread and lock on satellites within 5 -7 seconds, whereas on ICS they are struggling to obtain a position fix (takes very long to lock, sometimes doesn't lock at all) I've had this issue on all ICS leaks and still having it on official release as well, now on both units. I've tried using GPS Status and Toolbox app but that doesnt seem to have any effect. Anyone else having simular issues? I use GPS very often and I can't have it malfunctioning like that. I might go back to Gingerbread just because of this problem. Any feedback would be appreciated. thanks!
    07-12-2012 09:53 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD