07-16-2012 01:41 AM
36 12
tools
    So I don't know if its just me or what but battery life for me has been amazing. Updated the phone with a full charge around 11 a.m. played with it all day, pretty much till about about 11 p.m. went to sleep forgot to charge it woke up and it still wasn't dead. Crazy right? I mean I arranged my phone exactly as I had it, went online configured everything played with settings. I mean real heavy use and battery life is freaking amazing. Can some of you chime in on this and let me know if I'm just lucky or if everyone is having a similar experience with the update.
    07-10-2012 04:00 PM
    Are you on LTE?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    07-10-2012 04:14 PM
    Are you on LTE?

No, no I am not. It is much better than when I was on GB. So this is a very good plus.
    07-10-2012 04:16 PM
    Updated yesterday. Charged phone all night. Unplugged about 6:15am. Checked emails and messages. Was on wi-fi, tho. Went to work with 4G on. Had 94% by 7:30am. Went break an hour later and went surfing. 10 minutes later, i was down to 84%. By the time 10 o'clock rolled by, i was down to 64%. 4G was always on. Had to turn data off after that. Don't know what you guys mean by "heavy use", but that's very light use for me. Didn't even play Tank Hero: Laser Wars. It's not going thru my battery life as fast as it used to, but it's still fast. Firefox already crashed once since the update but the stock browser seems fine. Facebook app is still slow loading up. And is there any way i can change the font of the browsers? Haven't checked out the camera nor the face lock thingamajig. But i heard that it can be fooled by a picture. So i don't know how secure that is. So far, that's what i have observed with ICS on my Skyrocket.
    07-10-2012 04:58 PM
    By heavy use I mean that im online for a couple of hours or so. Connected to wifi and off of it intermittently. I'm talking about playing fruit ninja for about 45 minutes on and off. I'm talking about facebook and instagram bowsing and even some other random apps for hours. Then I'm also talking about just using the phone figuring things out for a couple of hours. This also includes many many many text messages. I havent had it crash one bit or any glitches so i have no issues to report. I did do a complete reset of my phone and then installed ICS so that could have something to do with it.
    07-10-2012 05:21 PM
    My battery life isn't good. You're lucky. With heavy use, I only get a few hours. Otherwise I can get about a day with moderate usage. So, not that great. I love the phone too much to give it up though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    07-10-2012 05:48 PM
    Battery life seems to be same for me like on 2.3.6. I get through the day with moderate use. I love the other improvements like individual notification dismissal, Improved youtube interface, improved GMAIL etc. My love with Skyrocket continues.. (For better battery life, I make sure I disable sync when not on wifi, so that 4g is not in operation continuously).
    07-10-2012 07:24 PM
    My battery life seems to be pretty solid when on wifi. However, when on HSPA it was about 10 percent an hour. With wifi I was getting about 7 hours with 45 percent battery drain.
    07-10-2012 08:20 PM
    My battery life has lessened significantly since I upgraded...Of course it's likely due to my non-stop exploration. I am so pleased so far.
    07-10-2012 10:59 PM
    This is the only negative thing I've noticed since updating. Significantly worse battery life compared to 2.3.6. I'm down to 84% and it's only been 3.2 hours on this battery charge.

07-11-2012 12:35 AM
    I am blown away by the battery life since coming from 2.3.6. I always kept a charger near me, in fact I purchased a fleet. One at work, one in my car, home PC, nightstand and kitchen. I never trusted my battery life on GB.

Now... I have tested 3 days straight, I unplug at 6:00AM when I wake up. When I go to bed around 11:00PM - 12:00AM I have had anywhere from 15% - 25% life remaining. I am so pleased with this change. The best I can pin it to is deep sleep (that it actually works on ICS). If you screen is on and active the drain will probably be similar, but when it is off, it uses ~ 1% an hour or so.

So happy right now!
    07-11-2012 10:13 AM
    I am blown away by the battery life since coming from 2.3.6. I always kept a charger near me, in fact I purchased a fleet. One at work, one in my car, home PC, nightstand and kitchen. I never trusted my battery life on GB.

Now... I have tested 3 days straight, I unplug at 6:00AM when I wake up. When I go to bed around 11:00PM - 12:00AM I have had anywhere from 15% - 25% life remaining. I am so pleased with this change. The best I can pin it to is deep sleep (that it actually works on ICS). If you screen is on and active the drain will probably be similar, but when it is off, it uses ~ 1% an hour or so.

So happy right now!
    Yeah I'm crazy happy about this. I'm starting to think that the deep sleep is whats got me going so far. When I'm not using it I'm sure all the radios are completely off and only on when the sync intervals are set to sync.

Separate question on GB I was able to dim the screen by swiping across the notification bar. I cant do it on ICS. Does anyone know of a different way to do this other than going into settings or getting an app. I really liked the swiping across the top shortcut.
    07-11-2012 02:10 PM
    I notice no difference.
    07-11-2012 02:16 PM
    Yeah I'm crazy happy about this. I'm starting to think that the deep sleep is whats got me going so far. When I'm not using it I'm sure all the radios are completely off and only on when the sync intervals are set to sync.

Separate question on GB I was able to dim the screen by swiping across the notification bar. I cant do it on ICS. Does anyone know of a different way to do this other than going into settings or getting an app. I really liked the swiping across the top shortcut.
    I don't know if that was a stock function on GB. Do you use a launcher other than TW? I know Go Launcher has gestures and you can tell a swipe to do this or that.

I personally have the Power Widget on one of my screens. There is a button for brightness... it will cycle when pressed. low, medium, bright and auto. Be warned.. it is a 4x2 widget. 8)
    07-11-2012 02:35 PM
    Yeah on GB if you didn't have your screen set to auto brightness you could touch on the notification and then slide either left or right for brightness adjustments. No I cant seem to figure it out on ICS. Yes I was running stock GB. No launchers or anything. Oh well looks like I will have to get an app for it now. Damn.
    07-11-2012 02:47 PM
    Day 2 after ICS. Left phone charging overnight. Unplugged it 5:15am. Went to work, 4G on. Went down to 89% by 8:00am. Locked phone, data on. Went to lunch at noon. Power down to 16%! Didn't touch the phone, didn't go surfing. No live wallpapers. I'll try again tomoro with 4g off.
    07-11-2012 03:03 PM
    Day 2 after ICS. Left phone charging overnight. Unplugged it 5:15am. Went to work, 4G on. Went down to 89% by 8:00am. Locked phone, data on. Went to lunch at noon. Power down to 16%! Didn't touch the phone, didn't go surfing. No live wallpapers. I'll try again tomoro with 4g off.
    How do you turn 4G off?
    07-11-2012 04:11 PM
    Superman4060 -
    You said a little earlier that you did a factory data reset before you installed ICS.. if I have already upgraded to ICS, what happens when I do the factory data reset? Will it delete everything and revert back to 2.3.6?

I am getting very poor battery life right now (nothing compared to what you're getting) and am considering resetting to maybe help the problem.

Also, are you using a battery saver?

Are animations and opening apps smooth for you? Any lag?

Thanks in advance.
    07-11-2012 04:21 PM
    my battery life is terrible after update.
    07-11-2012 07:05 PM
    Superman4060 -
    You said a little earlier that you did a factory data reset before you installed ICS.. if I have already upgraded to ICS, what happens when I do the factory data reset? Will it delete everything and revert back to 2.3.6?

I am getting very poor battery life right now (nothing compared to what you're getting) and am considering resetting to maybe help the problem.

Also, are you using a battery saver?

Are animations and opening apps smooth for you? Any lag?

Thanks in advance.
    I did a factory reset after i got the update. It will delete all media (pictures, videos, music on your sd card) it will not bring you back to gb. Phone is for the most part smooth and lag free i do also hate that i have to accept to kill all apps.

Wozzi7 likes this.
    07-11-2012 07:21 PM
    I did a factory reset after i got the update. It will delete all media (pictures, videos, music on your sd card) it will not bring you back to gb. Phone is for the most part smooth and lag free i do also hate that i have to accept to kill all apps.
    How is your battery life by the way?
    07-11-2012 07:50 PM
    How is your battery life by the way?
    Ehh first day (yesterday) it sucked i only managed about 9 hours of battery with heavy usage. Its gotten much better today. I remember on GB i could go 15 hours on a charge easily. As long as the battery will last a 9AM-10PM day im happy.

Wozzi7 likes this.
    07-11-2012 08:00 PM
    So I went ahead and wiped my phone and just installed the few main apps that I use, tried to leave out social media and what not.

So far it seems to be doing much better in terms of smoothness. The little lags here and there are gone. I wonder how much of that was due to JuiceDefender.

I'm gonna give it a few days without JD and without any of the extraneous apps and just see how the battery life is. So far it doesn't really seem very different from GB. I think OP just got lucky or something.

Will report back after a few days have passed.
    07-11-2012 09:23 PM
    How do you turn 4G off?
    There's an app for that. Data Switch in the Play Store. It's free and very handy. Put in on the homescreen and yer good to go. I got only 3GB to play with so I have to watch my usage. Plus, it saves battery.
    07-11-2012 09:59 PM
    I started out with horrible battery life, but I'm now around 15-18 hours on my usual usage. It's a little less than before, but I'm ok with it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2
    07-12-2012 01:08 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD