What happened to all the new functions?

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I just updated to ICS from GB and am still playing around with everything.

I am on the main android site, looking at all the new things they supposedly put into ICS and I'm not able to find the same features on the Skyrocket.

Quoted parts are from the main Android site.

"Also, in All Apps launcher, you can now simply drag an app to get information about it or immediately uninstall it, or disable a pre-installed app."

I can't seem to do this.

"Resizable Widgets"

How do I do this?

"New lock screen actions

The lock screens now let you do more without unlocking. From the slide lock screen, you can jump directly to the camera for a picture or pull down the notifications window to check for messages. When listening to music, you can even manage music tracks and see album art."

I have no idea how to enable these. Did ATT just remove this functionality altogether?

"For new flexibility and convenience while shooting video, you can now take snapshots at full video resolution just by tapping the screen as video continues to record."

I just tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Can't seem to find the option in settings either.

"Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor

I guess we already did have a photo editor but the gallery app is exactly the same.

Live Effects for transforming video

Can't seem to access this anywhere.

I'm really hoping they didn't keep us waiting just to gut the whole update to make it seem like they actually care about updating their products (and not just simply forcing us to buy new phones).

zarakon

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, seems like it was just a trap for them to install more crap. Now I have some YellowPages crap at the top of my contacts list that I can't get rid of, and a whole bunch more at&t and various trial apps.

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Samsung also installed some virtual assistant. It says "Powered by Vlingo" in the bottom corner of the app. But it's terrible. The voice recognition is absolutely horrible. It never notices anything I say.

I have the original Vlingo app on my phone and it is far superior in all its voice recognition than the Samsung app but now I can't delete that stupid Samsung app anymore.

My phone is also much slower than GB. Just a little bit of lag here and there when opening apps and long presses and apps interacting with other apps. It's really annoying.

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset and see if that has any effect on anything.

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
It also might be the most powerful phone NOT to be albe to run Live Wallpaper!! Anyone hear anything on this??

Last edited:

txczshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I just updated to ICS from GB and am still playing around with everything.

I am on the main android site, looking at all the new things they supposedly put into ICS and I'm not able to find the same features on the Skyrocket.

Quoted parts are from the main Android site.

"Also, in All Apps launcher, you can now simply drag an app to get information about it or immediately uninstall it, or disable a pre-installed app."

I can't seem to do this.

Yeah, this doesn't work for me either.

"Resizable Widgets"

How do I do this?

I have figured this out. I tried it on the Associated Press widget and a weather widget. Add the widget to the home screen of your choice. Then long press like you were going to move it on the current screen or to another home screen and simply let go. It should pop up with a yellow border indicating the various sizes in it's current position. There is a grey triangle in the lower right corner that you manipulate to re-size the widget. The AP widget has 3 sizes.

"New lock screen actions

The lock screens now let you do more without unlocking. From the slide lock screen, you can jump directly to the camera for a picture or pull down the notifications window to check for messages. When listening to music, you can even manage music tracks and see album art."

I have no idea how to enable these. Did ATT just remove this functionality altogether?

I had the music functionality in 2.3.6, and still do. I now can pull down notification window in lock screen. But no camera option that I can see.

"For new flexibility and convenience while shooting video, you can now take snapshots at full video resolution just by tapping the screen as video continues to record."

I just tried this and it doesn't seem to work. Can't seem to find the option in settings either.

Not only can I not do this, but I don't have the new spiffy camera options either.

"Redesigned Gallery app with photo editor

I guess we already did have a photo editor but the gallery app is exactly the same.

Agree.

Live Effects for transforming video

Can't seem to access this anywhere.

No idea on this one either.

I'm really hoping they didn't keep us waiting just to gut the whole update to make it seem like they actually care about updating their products (and not just simply forcing us to buy new phones).

I wouldn't doubt if that's exactly what they did.

Reactions: Wozzi7

txczshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
My phone is also much slower than GB. Just a little bit of lag here and there when opening apps and long presses and apps interacting with other apps. It's really annoying.

I'm noticing this as well. So far, I was much happier with 2.3.6 and GoLauncher. I see no benefit in this "upgrade" GPS is being persnickety and there is noticable data lag. From Facebook to general browsing and speedtest.net. I'm not talking about actual upload download speeds, those still seem to be respectable. I'm talking about ping/latency times.

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi sbdgcg,
I have not heard anything about a lack of Live Wallpaper functionality. It seems a lot of people are having little problems here and there that others are not. I'm sorry to hear it's not working on yours. I generally don't use them but I tried it and it seems to be working on mine, but I just tested for a few seconds, nothing more.

Kimberly Boals

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site

Can the functions widget be resized? The widget I mean is that has wifi,screen timeout, brightness etc...

And I do agree this does not seem like a full version of ICS seems more like an inbetween of GB and ICS. Which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully, now that we have "ICS" we will get another update soon and have the full functionality of ICS. :confused:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the unfortunate reality of android skins. Samsung stripped out a lot of these things for devices coming from gingerbread.

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the music functionality in 2.3.6, and still do. I now can pull down notification window in lock screen. But no camera option that I can see.

Did you change some setting to pull down the notification bar in lock screen?

I just got a text and tried to pull it down in the lock screen and it wouldn't let me do anything.

mtech5

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I have all the same things missing. This really sucks. Hopefully they'll give us another update soon. I hope. This stripped down version is really disappointing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

rgarcia900

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Even am not able to pull down the notification bar when screen is locked :

I just tried it and works for me. Now, I don't have my lock screen set up with a pin, pattern or face unlock. So this might be why. I mean, you wouldn't want someone without your password/pattern, etc to be able to read your texts by pulling down the notification bar, do you? that is probably why it doesn't work on some people. Just guessing...
Live wallpaper has always worked for me...

sbgdcg

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
In regards to the Live Wallpaper, I think Samsung turned it off with the 2.3.6 update due to screen freeze issues. Since I upgraded to ICS from GB 2.3.6....I am guessing it stayed turned off. I think some folks who upgraded from 2.3.5 or a Custom Rom have not experienced my problem....I wonder if it's just a upgrading from factory 2.3.6 issue. More to come. Thanks everyone for the feedback. On the flip side my battery life has been great since the update!!

blweldon2

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Most things were removed to fit in with touchwiz. Try using apex launcher. It gives resizable widgets and uninstall by dragging and the whole 9 yards. It also gives the appearance of stock ics. You may also be able to use nova, but I prefer apex.

zarakon

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
In addition to new features not being included, one of my favorite features was actually removed: the ability to change the screen brightness by holding+dragging the notification bar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12