After ICS update on Skyrocket, data constantly downloads

themosh1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I installed Ice Cream Sandwich today, and it seemed to go fine. However, after the download and reset, it seems that either on 4g or wi-fi network, the little downloading arrow indicates that the phone is perpetually downloading data. It did not do this before the upgrade. I have gone to accounts and sync, and there is no push email or other constant sync settings established. I have gone to location based services and turned off everything there.

Does anyone have an idea why it looks like the phone is constantly downloading? I am sure it will be draining the battery and running up my data. I went to the data usage tool, but it is hard for me to tell if there is constant use going on there.

Thoughts and help?
Thanks.

DaleWells

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I am experiencing the same thing for the most part. The battery life is terrible now. I used to be able to go almost all day (on heavy usage), or all day with lighter usage. It is now just before noon, and I'm down to 24%. I don't have an answer, just confirming that you aren't alone in the problem.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
hmm..thats interesting... you know guys, I had the same thing happening on the latest UCLF5 leak and for the first time ever i've reached the maximum allower 3GB after which i was charged $10 for another 1Gb just before 3 days of my monthly billing period. I thought that happend because I was testing this leak a lot and mostly doing speed tests but still reached the limit within just a few days so fast... sp i kinda ignored that..and now after reading this thread looks like it wasnt just me testing my phone... there is definitely lots of issues with this update besides the GPS issue

larrynannery

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I just posted this in another thread about an e-mail problem, but I thought the duplication was worth it. I am watching Email burn heavy, finally disabled it completely.

Going to reach out to Samsung since the phone is legit ICS which I waited for!!!!,....I expected better than this.

themosh1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
What I believe it is, is that there is some 'push' setting on somewhere that I cannot find, so it's constantly hitting the cloud to look for calendar syncs or email or something...I thought I found the problem under Calendar settings. That seemed to stop the constant downloading. But I did a full reset of the device this morning, wiping out all my info, because this build was so horrible. A bunch of apps were slow to open, frame rate was terrible, and it makes me feel like this is a device with an underrated processor that can't handle simple apps.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why having a Nexus would be better? What's the difference with a Nexus? I'm new to android so I would love to know.

Nexus is a pure as they call it "vanilla" Android OS, no carrier's bloatware or restrictions, no TouchWiz no Motoblur or anything like that. This phone is always the first one to get the official google updates. supported directly and only by Google.

LadyRapunzel

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same problem as well, except mine only seems to download while I'm on wifi. It is destroying my battery as well. No solution as of yet.

One4fun

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I had issues upgrading through Kies. It crashed on me bigtime and locked up the phone in the upgrade mode. I called Samsung and they said remove dl cable, remove battery, replace battery, hold down Volume Up/Down and Power at same time then plug in dl cable. Didn't look like it was doing anything, but finally started upgrade. Crashed two more times, I believe because Samsung server was way overloaded. Anyway I just unplugged, removed/replaced the battery, powered up and plugged in. It started over and finished the dl with no problems. My phone has MUCH better battery life than with GB. I could not go a whole day at work without charging and I don't use the phone much at all. Now I'm still at 75% after a full day at work. The upgrade also removed all of the AT&T bloatware.....thank you Samsung!

kastababy

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
You aren't the only one. Here's my experience with this "wonderful" update:

1. My rooted phone got unrooted.
2. All of my apps freeze and hang and just simply crash.
3. Even after I read all of my text messages, the message counter doesn't update like it should.
4. My battery life is fine; however, I constantly have to power-cycle my phone because of the other issues described above.

All I want is my phone rooted and a STOCK copy of ICS for my phone. I don't want any bloatware or apps other than the ones I CHOOSE to install on my phone. Is this too much to ask? IMHO, AT&T sat on their asses for months without releasing a viable copy of ICS for this phone, and then rushed this POS out simply because Jellybean has been released. They were already 2 Android versions behind. I'm almost willing to settle for a version of Honeycomb just because I'm that frustrated.

Looks like an unlocked Nexus is going to be my next purchase....:mad:

kastababy

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
How did all of the AT&T bloatware get removed from your phone? I had a rooted phone and when I did the update (with no issues, BTW) all of the bloatware magically reappeared on my phone!!

NMLNML

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Yep. Same here, too. Crappy battery life, Contacts crash, tons of lag. I did a wipe this morning and now the Play store shows all my apps in the "Library" but not installed. Go figure. Keep your fingers crossed a quick update corrects it all.

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Can someone walk me through this process? Onefofun?

My non-rooted skyrocket now has ICS, but with the crashes, lag, and poor battery life, etc.

So I'd like to do the wipe and then end up with a stable ICS install.

What is the procedure for doing this? Did you do this in the middle of updating through Keis somehow?

Thanks for helping a newb!

Sent from my phone (as if anyone cares).

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Can someone walk me through this process? Onefofun?

My non-rooted skyrocket now has ICS, but with the crashes, lag, and poor battery life, etc.

So I'd like to do the wipe and then end up with a stable ICS install.

What is the procedure for doing this? Did you do this in the middle of updating through Keis somehow?

Thanks for helping a newb!

Sent from my phone (as if anyone cares).
Just do a complete system wipe / factory reset and see how it goes. Usually after a major OS upgrade it is recommended to do a factory reset.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
How did all of the AT&T bloatware get removed from your phone? I had a rooted phone and when I did the update (with no issues, BTW) all of the bloatware magically reappeared on my phone!!
An OS upgrade is basically a new ROM that will install all apps and everything that was programmed along with it. You will have to root and remove all bloatware again if you want to. Think of it as a Ghost image for PC

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Just do a complete system wipe / factory reset and see how it goes. Usually after a major OS upgrade it is recommended to do a factory reset.

I think I need to give that a try. From what I've been reading, leftover settings and such from the old installation can cause all manner of trouble otherwise.

Now I've got to go find out how to do this "system wipe/factory reset".

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I think I need to give that a try. From what I've been reading, leftover settings and such from the old installation can cause all manner of trouble otherwise.

Now I've got to go find out how to do this "system wipe/factory reset".
Settings, backup and reset/ factory data reset

poconojoe57

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
So what exactly do I lose when doing a factory reset? All my contacts? Photos, music? Should I pull the sd card before doing it? Thinking maybe this will improve battery life.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd suggest pulling the SD card and transferring all your personal files to either a PC or the very same SD card. You should not lose your contacts as they are synced with your gmail account associated with your phone. You will have to reinstall all apps again though. Transfer music and photos to your PC or SD prior doing a wipe. Also after you pull your SD card I'd suggest to check the option to format USB storage under "backup and reset" option it will remove all your apps in phone's storage but this way you will start with a clean device and this is something I've always done with all my phones after a major OS update. As far as the battery life I doubt it will improve that. I see many people reporting poor battery life with this update and I had a very good battery life on a last UCLF5 beta leak. I think I've actually had a good battery even with this update before I reverted back to GB (I no longer have the Skyrocket though) but doing a wipe is always recommended in cases like this. So it probably may or may not improve your battery

Last edited:
Reactions: badrisk783

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance