After ICS update on Skyrocket, data constantly downloads

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Settings, backup and reset/ factory data reset

OK. I did the full reset, and it went smoothly. I'm getting things set back up.

Time will tell if some of the strange issues are resolved.

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

NMLNML

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I installed Ice Cream Sandwich today, and it seemed to go fine. However, after the download and reset, it seems that either on 4g or wi-fi network, the little downloading arrow indicates that the phone is perpetually downloading data. It did not do this before the upgrade. I have gone to accounts and sync, and there is no push email or other constant sync settings established. I have gone to location based services and turned off everything there.

Does anyone have an idea why it looks like the phone is constantly downloading? I am sure it will be draining the battery and running up my data. I went to the data usage tool, but it is hard for me to tell if there is constant use going on there.

Thoughts and help?
Thanks.

I have found, on my phone, the Wi-Fi constantly scans, despite no selection to scan. However, that wouldn't explain downloads, would it?

skigoddess

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Mine started doing this last night. I have restarted the phone twice. I do not want to have to do a factory reset 2 days in a row. : (

I have turned wifi off and the same thing happens with 4g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
Do we know that the phones are actually downloading anything? Or could it be a bug or just a change in the way the little arrow indicators are triggered?

There are all kinds of ways one could program the response of the indicators. If the thing now blinks any time the CPU scans to see if there IS an incoming data packet or something like that, we could be getting upset over, essentially, nothing.

Without knowing what the indicator actually indicates, it's pretty tough to analyze.

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
One way you can check if your phone is actually downloading anything substantial is to check the "Data Usage" panel in Settings.

It gives you a complete run-down of data usage on both 3G and WiFi. You can set hard data limits and warnings based on your data plan and see what apps are using your data the most as well as just how much each app has used.

I think it would be good to monitor this for a week and see just how much data your phone is actually using.

I'm not saying I disagree with you but when on my WiFi, the orange down arrow is usually always lit up or flashing but my battery life is pretty good with moderate use (at around 20% its about 16-18 hours). So it might be something else.

NMLNML

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Good idea (checking data use). But, I'm still convinced something's amiss with the wifi radio. Even when i have requested it NOT scan for new networks, it does, every 2 or 3 seconds, and states "Scanning" at the top of the wifi page.

lirong

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Good idea (checking data use). But, I'm still convinced something's amiss with the wifi radio. Even when i have requested it NOT scan for new networks, it does, every 2 or 3 seconds, and states "Scanning" at the top of the wifi page.

I dont know if this is helpful, but have you checked all the settings under Wifi > Advanced ?

ADRz

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
What I believe it is, is that there is some 'push' setting on somewhere that I cannot find, so it's constantly hitting the cloud to look for calendar syncs or email or something...I thought I found the problem under Calendar settings. That seemed to stop the constant downloading. But I did a full reset of the device this morning, wiping out all my info, because this build was so horrible. A bunch of apps were slow to open, frame rate was terrible, and it makes me feel like this is a device with an underrated processor that can't handle simple apps.

I have none of these problems. What I did was to actually reset the phone to factory specs before upgrading to ICS. This appears to have produced a very "clean" condition following the upgrade. The phone feels fine and responds fast and, if anything, it seems to have a better battery life.

As usual, a small percentage of users are expected to have problems upgrading. I wonder how many have upgraded so far, considering that this was not an OTA upgrade.

jcfuller

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Just in case this helps anyone, if your native Mail app is responsible for your data usage skyrocketing to insane levels, I'd recommend taking a look at your downloaded images folder. If it's filled to the brim with duplicated images, your Mail app is probably downloading and re-downloading your email attachments. Just happened to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon