G2 as a wireless router - can it be done

the_darkwing_duck

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
What I want to do is connect an iPad and Laptop to my phone using the phone as a hotspot providing internet access to both iPad & Laptop. (OK thats easy).

I then want the iPad to be able to access a web-app running on the Laptop, meaning the phone is not just an access point, but also a router.
Can it be done? How?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
if i understand you correctly, if both devices will use the same LAN IP provided by the phone it shouldnt be that hard to access an app on your laptop from the ipad just like you would normally do with a router just need to find out your LAN IP.... what web app is that exactly?

brytonic

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I would think this is possible as well. Wost case you might need to use a local loopback for the address. Other machines should be able to connect to the hosted site by the NAT IP of the iPad. You should be able to connect from the iPad to the hosted site on the iPad with the IP, as a backup you might need 127.0.0.1 (points the device to look at itself)

the_darkwing_duck

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
My phone was in the shop being fixed....

The good news it that this works amazingly well.
I'm running SharePoint in a VM on my laptop and connecting to it from an iPad using the S2 as a router - it took basically zero config.

So, now, .....

I'm trying to mirror the iPad to an AppleTV - but the TV is not found.
Looking at the AppleTV support I see it needs:
■TCP port 123 is used to communicate with a network time server.
■TCP port 3689 is used to communicate with iTunes while using the iTunes Library Sharing feature.
■UDP port 5353 is used by Apple TV for automatically finding computers with iTunes on your network using Bonjour.
■TCP port 80 is used for communicating with podcast servers.
■TCP port 80 and 443 are used for basic and secure communications with the iTunes Store via the Internet.
■TCP port 53 is used for regular DNS.
Apple TV: TCP and UDP ports and protocols used

Would I expect any of those requirements not to be met??

brytonic

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't know specifically what is open or not while tethering, port-wise.

I would fully expect 80, 443 and 53 open for basic internet browsing to function (the primary function of tethering)

Do you need this setup to get out to the internet or just to connect to each other? If the internet is not needed maybe just a wireless router would be better/easier to work with?

the_darkwing_duck

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know specifically what is open or not while tethering, port-wise.

I would fully expect 80, 443 and 53 open for basic internet browsing to function (the primary function of tethering)

Do you need this setup to get out to the internet or just to connect to each other? If the internet is not needed maybe just a wireless router would be better/easier to work with?

It looks like, within the local network, I can access most ports via tcp, I think udp is maybe not supported.
Any idea how I can confirm?

You're right that a separate router would seem easy, I do need internet connectivity which I could achieve with some other hardware. I'm so close to being able to do it with the phone (which when you think about it is pretty f'in cool). Ultimately it comes down to not wanting to carry another lump of hardware and its associated wires around with me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy