I just got the skyrocket from the AT&T store two days ago. I was coming from an iPhone 3Gs.

After spending a good hour dodging every sales pitch I got my phone home. But there are A LOT of pre-installed apps. I uninstalled the ones I could and still have a bunch left. List below. I'm sure some of them I probably need for something, but there are other apps that do similar things that I've already found in the market.

Anyway... I went to the market and picked up Android System Info. When I go to look at the Applications tab within this program, the Uninstall button for these apps is not greyed out like it is in the normal task manager/manage applications default apps. Does this mean I can use android system info to uninstall these system apps? I didn't want to try it in case of disaster.

The phone has gingerbread on it, 2.3.6. Not sure why it doesn't have ICS since I just bought it two days ago, but whatever. It works fine for me the way it is. And I don't really want to root it because I just bought it and can't afford another one for a while... maybe 6 months from now.

So can I attempt this uninstall through the android system info, or will trying to do this through this app (which seems possible) mess up my phone?

Apart from my battery draining really quickly, the reason I want to uninstall them is because they have some intense permissions allowed. And I do check the permissions when choosing apps. Which is kind of worthless if all the preinstalled ones already give full access to everybody.

Thanks for the help. And otherwise, I love the skyrocket. It is so fast compared to my previous iphone.

Apps preinstalled:
    Social Hub (will never use, just have a twitter)
    NFS Shift (really? the permissions on this are ridiculous)
    AccuWeather.com
    Ap Mobile
    2 Emails
    AT&T Ready2Go
    AT&T Navigator
    AllShare
    Books
    Media Hub
    Navigation
    Places
    YouTube
    Mini diary
    Photo editor
    Gmail
    Kies air
    Kies via Wi-Fi
    Kobo
    Mini Paper
    SNSAccountFB
    SNSAccountLi
    Yahoo Finance
    Zinio
    News and Weather
    Featured Apps
    08-05-2012 12:40 PM
    Apps preinstalled:
    Social Hub (will never use, just have a twitter)
    NFS Shift (really? the permissions on this are ridiculous)
    AccuWeather.com
    Ap Mobile Disable (news app)
    2 Emails Disable( if you going to use gmail)
    AT&T Ready2Go Disable
    AT&T Navigator Disable
    AllShare Disable( it's kinda cool feature shares you pic,vid over the network to DNLA devies TV,tablet,phones)
    Books Disable(even if you disable it it will re-enable itself again)
    Media Hub disable
    Navigation ( a part of google maps )
    Places disable
    YouTube ( dont you watch youtube?)
    Mini diary ( absolutely useless app DISABLE)
    Photo editor - you can edit pics pretty good app
    Gmail ( email app )
    Kies air ( sync over wi-fi pretty usefull
    Kies via Wi-Fi
    Kobo (dont know what it is)
    Mini Paper
    SNSAccountFB
    SNSAccountLi
    Yahoo Finance Disable
    Zinio never heard of it
    News and Weather ( if you need weather widget then use AccuWeather and disable this)
    Featured Apps just a widget
    Penarddun likes this.
    08-05-2012 03:50 PM
    root it.
    Get titanium backup and freeze what you dont want to use.

I know you say you don't want root but that is the best way and it's pretty much harmless. Now installing a custom rom is a different story.
    Penarddun likes this.
    08-05-2012 04:12 PM
    @skyrockett Thanks for going through the list. I actually seldom use youtube on my phone (probably the only one) but I don't mind having that app since it doesn't ever turn on by itself. The others, however... When you say disable, do I have to upgrade to ICS in order to disable them? or can I do that on gingerbread?

root it.
    Get titanium backup and freeze what you dont want to use.

I know you say you don't want root but that is the best way and it's pretty much harmless. Now installing a custom rom is a different story.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I may end up doing that, but I'll have to think about it.
    08-05-2012 06:09 PM
    no you can disable those only on ICS.
    08-06-2012 10:23 AM
    How do you disable apps? By force stopping ?
    08-07-2012 11:31 AM
    How do you disable apps? By force stopping ?
    There will be an option to disable the app next to the force stop button if it's allowed. Force stop is just that. You force it closed.
    08-08-2012 08:57 AM
    To add on to software guy, sometimes you have to clear data before the option to disable appears

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    08-08-2012 11:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD