Battery life in hours

spectrumdata

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
OK. I get decent battery life in wifi. Unplug at 7 am and I'm 50% by 5 PM. However, when I travel it's horrible.

In a 4G area, unplug the phone (100%) at 7 am. By 11 am it's down to 30%. By noon it's shutting down. This is with the phone in my pocket. Totally standby.

In the car, I can plug in the charger and it can't keep up. Driving with it plugged in may make it last until 3 or 4 pm then it's toast. I have a total of four batteries. Fully charged, all four batteries will get me a full day.

I don't check email at all. I use no push notifications at all. This can't be normal and it's been doing this since the day I got it.

I see no way to turn 4G off. Any ideas? Remember, it's not the display taking the power since it's shut off.

Thanks
John

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
OK. I get decent battery life in wifi. Unplug at 7 am and I'm 50% by 5 PM. However, when I travel it's horrible.

In a 4G area, unplug the phone (100%) at 7 am. By 11 am it's down to 30%. By noon it's shutting down. This is with the phone in my pocket. Totally standby.

In the car, I can plug in the charger and it can't keep up. Driving with it plugged in may make it last until 3 or 4 pm then it's toast. I have a total of four batteries. Fully charged, all four batteries will get me a full day.

I don't check email at all. I use no push notifications at all. This can't be normal and it's been doing this since the day I got it.

I see no way to turn 4G off. Any ideas? Remember, it's not the display taking the power since it's shut off.

Thanks
John

Just disable mobile data when your not using it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

spectrumdata

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
That disables everything except phone and doesn't always help. I go to Airplane Mode when we hit 40% and it may give me another 1/2 hour before it dies.

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
That disables everything except phone and doesn't always help. I go to Airplane Mode when we hit 40% and it may give me another 1/2 hour before it dies.

Get a new battery and see if that helps. Also try and turn auto sync off? And disable background data? Also get better battery stats from the play store if you rooted and see what wake locks your phone has.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Disabling Background Sync, Mobile Data, etc. defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. You're better off just getting a feature phone at that point. Why pay $100+ a month for this phone if you're going to turn it into a feature phone with a large screen by disabling everything. The battery life sucks, especially since the ICS update. They need to roll out an update and fix what they broke in the phone.

If you're in an area without LTE the phone performs decently well IRT battery. In an LTE area you won't get more than 3-3.5 hours on screen time before this phone dies, and that's without playing any games, streaming any video or music, etc. This is just doing some reading on the screen and maybe sending some text messages/facebook messages. The battery is literally draining at the rate of something akin to 1% a minute or more. You can literally watch the percentage drop in real time, it's that rapid. Changing the battery won't help.

I've had the entire phone replaced and it's the same deal. Battery life is terrible on LTE. The worst I've ever experience. I barely use my phone when I'm out for fear that it will die and I won't be able to use it for an emergency when needed. Looking into getting something different soon, or trading it for an HSPA+ device. Battery Life > Internet Speeds.

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Disabling Background Sync, Mobile Data, etc. defeats the purpose of having a smartphone. You're better off just getting a feature phone at that point. Why pay $100+ a month for this phone if you're going to turn it into a feature phone with a large screen by disabling everything. The battery life sucks, especially since the ICS update. They need to roll out an update and fix what they broke in the phone.

If you're in an area without LTE the phone performs decently well IRT battery. In an LTE area you won't get more than 3-3.5 hours on screen time before this phone dies, and that's without playing any games, streaming any video or music, etc. This is just doing some reading on the screen and maybe sending some text messages/facebook messages. The battery is literally draining at the rate of something akin to 1% a minute or more. You can literally watch the percentage drop in real time, it's that rapid. Changing the battery won't help.

I've had the entire phone replaced and it's the same deal. Battery life is terrible on LTE. The worst I've ever experience. I barely use my phone when I'm out for fear that it will die and I won't be able to use it for an emergency when needed. Looking into getting something different soon, or trading it for an HSPA+ device. Battery Life > Internet Speeds.

I've offered suggestions on what you can do to make your phone battery life better. Disabling lte or mobile data or carrying an extra charged battery with you is really the only advice i can give. For the record just in the last two days i got 46 hours on one charge only using what i needed when i needed it.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Another option could be looking into battery saver apps. Typically, some of the better apps out there will let any notifications you want go through, while in between will turn off wifi, background apps, and other elements. You can customize it ("whitelist" apps) as well if you want more things turned off while it's sleeping. The one I use (Deep Sleep Battery Saver) gives me close to 30 hours on Balanced mode.

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Another option could be looking into battery saver apps. Typically, some of the better apps out there will let any notifications you want go through, while in between will turn off wifi, background apps, and other elements. You can customize it ("whitelist" apps) as well if you want more things turned off while it's sleeping. The one I use (Deep Sleep Battery Saver) gives me close to 30 hours on Balanced mode.

He would need root access for that

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
He would need root access for that

Ah my bad... I never installed it when mine was stock, so I didn't even pay attention when I installed it recently after being rooted. Well, an alternative is Juice Defender, which I know does work on stock Androids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Ah my bad... I never installed it when mine was stock, so I didn't even pay attention when I installed it recently after being rooted. Well, an alternative is Juice Defender, which I know does work on stock Androids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Non rooted battery savers often make battery life worse. Also I highly recommend greenify instead of deep sleep battery saver.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Non rooted battery savers often make battery life worse. Also I highly recommend greenify instead of deep sleep battery saver.

At the time I'm writing this, Deep Sleep has gotten my phone to 31 hours, 14% left, and I only charged it to around 80% prior....longest I've gotten to date. Half my day is at a non or poorly wifi area, and I consider myself a moderate user.

So, Greenify is even better? I'll certainly look into it...maybe do my own side by side. :)

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've offered suggestions on what you can do to make your phone battery life better. Disabling lte or mobile data or carrying an extra charged battery with you is really the only advice i can give. For the record just in the last two days i got 46 hours on one charge only using what i needed when i needed it.

I think you completely missed the point. When I got this phone, we had no LTE. We got LTE, it slashed my battery life by literally over 50%.

You cannot disable LTE on this phone. There's no toggle.

Don't care what you got on one charge. I just told you my battery life was fine before they launched LTE and if you were on WiFi most of that time that's probably why. I was sick the other day and my phone was off the charger (but on WiFi) for 1d2h and some minutes and still at 41%. I buy tech to use it not to eyeball it.

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you completely missed the point. When I got this phone, we had no LTE. We got LTE, it slashed my battery life by literally over 50%.

You cannot disable LTE on this phone. There's no toggle.

Don't care what you got on one charge. I just told you my battery life was fine before they launched LTE and if you were on WiFi most of that time that's probably why. I was sick the other day and my phone was off the charger (but on WiFi) for 1d2h and some minutes and still at 41%. I buy tech to use it not to eyeball it.

You're quite rude for some one who needs help. Ive given you your possible options to save battery and you refuse to do any of them either deal with your crappy battery life or try them out. No excuses

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you're problem could be fixed by rooting. If you root and install Cyanogen Mod 10, there is an option to disable LTE and stick only to 3G/HSPA+. You can also switch back if you ever feel the need to. I was surprised to not find this on the stock ROM but its good if you can do it.

Also, thanks for the info regarding Greenify and Deep Sleep Saver. I did not know that rooting had a positive effect with these apps. I bought Juice Defender a while back but found it was actually reducing my battery life at one point. Do you think it has similar performance to Greenify or Deep Sleep?

MrGriffdude

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I think you're problem could be fixed by rooting. If you root and install Cyanogen Mod 10, there is an option to disable LTE and stick only to 3G/HSPA+. You can also switch back if you ever feel the need to. I was surprised to not find this on the stock ROM but its good if you can do it.

Also, thanks for the info regarding Greenify and Deep Sleep Saver. I did not know that rooting had a positive effect with these apps. I bought Juice Defender a while back but found it was actually reducing my battery life at one point. Do you think it has similar performance to Greenify or Deep Sleep?

Definitely not

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
@MrGriffinDude -
Thanks for the recommendation for Greenify. I honestly did not realize how many "rogue" apps were constantly running in the background until I installed the app. For example, Google Maps was/is one of the worst offenders for battery life. Even with location services off, it's constantly checking location and doing stuff. I get more than 2 days in idle now thanks to this app and the CM10 ROM. Even on-screen battery drain is much better. I can leave it at 50% brightness and it honestly does not drain that much faster than if I left it at 10%. Now that its getting warmer and the sun is out more, its nice to be able to see my phone's screen outside.

Even on LTE, the battery drain isn't that bad. Before rooting, I couldn't go out of a Wifi area, otherwise it my battery would be dead in a few hours.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma