Jellybean 4.1.2 available now at kies for att skyrocket

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if any of you did this, but before upgrading, did you consider doing a full wipe prior to installing it?

You shouldn't wipe BEFORE upgrading, you should wipe AFTER upgrading... I'm not sure why people always tell others to do it the other way around...

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
What version of windows are you running? Make sure your antivirus is disabled. Running as an administrator should help if you haven't tried that yet. Worked fine for me the first try, other than having to charge my phone more.

JB seems to run good. Battery life seems a little less than ICS. Root was simple enough and seems to help the batt life a little. Had to install Kii keyboard since JB removed the stock Android keyboard and autocorrect. That's my main grip on it. Messaging app just looks awesome on the skyrocket screen.

So basically the phone is still worthless in an LTE area... Roommate wants to get a new phone, think I'm going to give him the SR (this update will make it a sweeter offer, he isn't a nerd or anything) and just get a new phone for myself and add it to the account, then swap the SIM cards. This phone's battery life is only usable for light users...

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't wipe BEFORE upgrading, you should wipe AFTER upgrading... I'm not sure why people always tell others to do it the other way around...

I've done it both ways and didn't find a problem either way, provided you back up your data of course.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Battery Life is as bad as before if not worse (probably worse, actually since I barely used it since I updated it).

The software is much better than what was on the phone before, though. It performs better. I notice my phone has 788MB app-accessible RAM which is 20MB more than before (still less than on GB, though). Wonder why that is.

Do enjoy the new lock screen (i.e. Camera shortcut, I use my camera a lot)...

The new SMS app is utterly horrible, however, and I'll have to look for a 3rd party solution (Facebook Messenger?) for the first time since owning a smartphone. Can't even set the font size to "Tiny anymore and using the volume rocker to decrease the font size (which doesn't stick if you shrink the font and then turn that setting off, lovingly) still leaves the font twice as big as before...

Decent upgrade, probably great upgrade actually as the JB OS does have some compelling features that boost productivity (like expandable notifications). Don't think there is much they can do about the battery life the S3 SoC simply isn't a great performer in that regard...

Email App/Calendar properly supports Microsoft Outlook.com service, BTW. HTML Email, Calendar, Contacts, Task synchronization all work.

Last edited:

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I am loving this update so far. I had been on GB since I got the phone and was kind of holding off on updating until JB was released. So far I am really happy with it, and my skyrocket just flies. Also gained a couple thousand in Antutu (low 7000's to low 9000's now). Anybody else run any benchmarks yet?

- - - Updated - - -

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The new SMS app is utterly horrible, however, and I'll have to look for a 3rd party solution (Facebook Messenger?) for the first time since owning a smartphone.

You could try Go SMS Pro. The feature I like most about that app is that it allows you to do group messaging where if the other parties have that same kind of feature (ie: iOS users, Go SMS Pro users) everyone can see everyone's messages at once, not individually. Or, you could wait to see if the rumored Google Babel (which reportedly will have this feature) comes out soon.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am loving this update so far. I had been on GB since I got the phone and was kind of holding off on updating until JB was released. So far I am really happy with it, and my skyrocket just flies. Also gained a couple thousand in Antutu (low 7000's to low 9000's now). Anybody else run any benchmarks yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Long time, no hear from you. :) I saw someone with your same SN in the XDA Developers forum...wasn't sure if that was you too.

Though Antutu isn't the only benchmark app out there (I use Vellamo as well), that does sound like a nice improvement! It still won't convince me enough to switch back to stock though. :p

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Long time, no hear from you. :) I saw someone with your same SN in the XDA Developers forum...wasn't sure if that was you too.

Though Antutu isn't the only benchmark app out there (I use Vellamo as well), that does sound like a nice improvement! It still won't convince me enough to switch back to stock though. :p

Ya Man, been checking in just nothing intelligent to say lately!:)

Your probably better off man. I really do like the smooth speedy feel of this. Though, really the slightly laggy at times performance I got with GB (mainly on things like home screen swipes and app drawer swipes)on this phone went away once I dumped touchwiz for Holo Launcher. That was a real improvement in the phone's feel. I will have to try Vellamo .

With all that said, I am seeing what seems to be some heavy battery use especially on LTE. I will give it a few more days though to even out a little as I tweak it in.

Last edited:

perithimus

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Can someone who has updated the phone to 4.1.2 take some screenies of the home page and the accuweather widget, etc. I'd appreciate it.

trumpetdude88

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I can't get it to update. It goes through the downloading components, then preparing components. Then a popup says battery low. Recharge now. My battery is at 100%. Help please!

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
After using it for several days now I can say I have experienced no lag at all. I feel like the phone is finally performing up to it's real potential on this JB update. Project Butter seems to have worked for me.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
After using it for several days now I can say I have experienced no lag at all. I feel like the phone is finally performing up to it's real potential on this JB update. Project Butter seems to have worked for me.

Lag was never an issue on this phone - pretty much ever. On GB and ICS the phone has always been lag free however I'm not sure what others install on their devices.

There is a bug in this update, and it's a fairly big one for me. You basically cannot use any third party keyboards as the phone randomly resets the input method back to Samsung's stock keyboard, which wouldn't be an issue of the damn buttons weren't so super small on it.

Set it to SwiftKey 4, and it almost always resets it back to Samsung Keyboard when you reboot. Then randomly during the day even without a reboot it will reset the default keyboard. Seems like a fairly trivial thing to let pass through QA, IMO (considering the phone comes with 2 keyboards preloaded...).

Battery Life on WiFi seems to be getting a little better... Battery Life on HSPA+ and especially LTE is worse than it was on GB and ICS, by a noticeable margin. Will see if that improves later...

I'm not sure I like the new Notification Shade. You can barely see anything because of all the bull**** they have inserted into there...There's Date/Time, then Quick Toggles, then Brightness (seriously?), and if you're on WiFi you literally have always an Ongoing notification telling you you're connected and what network you're connected to. Just by default half of the notification screen is unusable and mostly because of the useless WiFi Notification and Useless Brightness toggle in there. If you get any real notifications, you now have to scroll to see them when before you simply had to pull down the shade and view it.

Google Now has proven to be utterly worthless so far, but that may be because I don't have much going to my Gmail account and I certainly don't have a Google+ Account/Profile.

Mariah_D

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure whether there is a problem with kies or my phone. But it won't update.
At first when I connected it, it would tell me there was an update. So I'd click the button. Then I clicked agree on the little agreement thing. And then it would say it was downloading the components needed to update. Then I realized that my phone had disconnected when it started that download for the components.
Now kies won't even recognize that I could update my phone.

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Funniest thing about this update was that I got the notification from ATT the morning after my friend helped me root my phone and install CM 10 which is basically stock Jelly Bean!