Jellybean 4.1.2 available now at kies for att skyrocket

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Funniest thing about this update was that I got the notification from ATT the morning after my friend helped me root my phone and install CM 10 which is basically stock Jelly Bean!

There are a ton of features that aren't in CM that are in this update. It's like a completely new phone. Only thing I wish it had now, was a qHD display (considering when it was released, 720p is a bit of a pipe dream :p ).

Battery Life on LTE seems to have stabilized and it seems like it's about what it was before the update. Guess it needed a bit of time to adjust, or something... Oddly...

Non-Exhaustive List of things I've noticed so far...

• AT&T Bar bloatware in Browser... Can be turned off... Tons of AT&T bloatware to disable :-(
  • Video Player has a Trimmer (Editor) Built In.
  • Video Player has Pop-Up Play.
  • Can Take Screenshots form a Video in the Video Player.
  • Gallery Supports Face Tagging (Via Facebook Integration).
  • Gallery Supports Buddy Photo Share.
  • Camera app is faster. Camera Quality (i.e. Software under the hood) seems improved.
  • S-Beam is Built In (Android Beam is still there, ofc).
  • Blocking Mode (Can Be Very Useful)
  • Power Saving seems less configurable than on ICS/TW4 (can't set a % for it to kick in anymore).
  • Lock Screen Short Cuts
  • Weather Widgets actually update your location if set to that, in TW4/ICS, they never updated...
  • Google Now due to JB, but don't personally think it's that useful...
  • Photo Editor has been ripped out, but Google has Snapseed for free and there is Photoshop Touch for pay.
  • Music Editor is the same from the GS3. Tons of features compared to TW4 (SoundAlive, Music Square, Configurable Play Speed, etc.).
  • A ton of updated Widgets.
  • Massively updated Calendar App.
  • Task App is gone. Tasks are integrated into the Calendar. If you want PUSH'd tasks, you can use Microsoft Outlook.com and the Samsung Calendar/Exchange Client supports its Tasks...
  • Stock Email App has functionality equivalent to VIPs on iOS Mail App.
  • Stock Email App supports HTML Email in Microsoft Outlook.com EAS accounts.
  • Samsung Keyboard is not usable. The One in TW4/ICS was borderline unusable if u had predictions turned on. This one is great and has swiping as well. However, there's a bug that doesn't let you set a different default keyboard and will reset it to Samsung's keyboard every reboot/restart and randomly otherwise...
  • The Android OS seems to have massively improved memory management compared to TW4/JB. 20MB more RAM is accessible to apps (every bit helps).
  • Messaging App UI has improved. However lack of configurable font size (outside of Volume Rocker toggle setting) and overloaded menus are a huge annoyance there...
  • File Manager improved. Also supports something similar to Windows 7/8 "Libraries."
  • Notification Shade improved, but a bit cramped now... Tons of settings toggles in there.
  • Voice Talk gone. S Voice wasn't back ported, but Google Voice Search kinda covers that.
  • Universal Search is back!
  • I think they did something with the display. Maybe it's the TW Nature overlay. But Fonts look better. Color Temperature seems improved. White balance and Saturation seems better. It almost seems like more content fits on the screen.
  • Kies Air no longer in the Stock ROM. Can be gotten from the Play Store.
  • ChatOn is not built into the Stock ROM.
  • Kies over WiFi has been added back in, thankfully...

Wozzi7

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow dude, thanks for the list of enhancements! I'm sure there are lots of people like me who are glad to see this.

How is your overall battery life? For example, during an average day when you are multi-tasking, calling, texting, switching from wi-fi to data... average daily battery life?

deadlock4400

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
in Android ICS OS Skyrocket has "Voice Talk' and "Face Unlock", but in latest Jelly Bean OS upgrade both are gone. those are very important and major apps !!

Last edited:

skyrocketeer

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Lag was never an issue on this phone - pretty much ever. On GB and ICS the phone has always been lag free however I'm not sure what others install on their devices.

There is a bug in this update, and it's a fairly big one for me. You basically cannot use any third party keyboards as the phone randomly resets the input method back to Samsung's stock keyboard, which wouldn't be an issue of the damn buttons weren't so super small on it.

Set it to SwiftKey 4, and it almost always resets it back to Samsung Keyboard when you reboot. Then randomly during the day even without a reboot it will reset the default keyboard. Seems like a fairly trivial thing to let pass through QA, IMO (considering the phone comes with 2 keyboards preloaded...).

Battery Life on WiFi seems to be getting a little better... Battery Life on HSPA+ and especially LTE is worse than it was on GB and ICS, by a noticeable margin. Will see if that improves later...

I'm not sure I like the new Notification Shade. You can barely see anything because of all the bull**** they have inserted into there...There's Date/Time, then Quick Toggles, then Brightness (seriously?), and if you're on WiFi you literally have always an Ongoing notification telling you you're connected and what network you're connected to. Just by default half of the notification screen is unusable and mostly because of the useless WiFi Notification and Useless Brightness toggle in there. If you get any real notifications, you now have to scroll to see them when before you simply had to pull down the shade and view it.

Google Now has proven to be utterly worthless so far, but that may be because I don't have much going to my Gmail account and I certainly don't have a Google+ Account/Profile.

Yes well I have to say that UI lag in GB 2.35 was very well documented and represented on youtube, and afflicted every new SR I ever played with in the stores at the time. YMMV.

coljolcol

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi I updated to the latest 4.1.2 version and I hate it. Drains battery, super slow and the features suck.. How do I go back to the older version? Pls help.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Wow dude, thanks for the list of enhancements! I'm sure there are lots of people like me who are glad to see this.

How is your overall battery life? For example, during an average day when you are multi-tasking, calling, texting, switching from wi-fi to data... average daily battery life?

Battery Life is somewhat less than before, but not massively so. Battery Life on this phone has always been what I'd consider terrible if YouTube it in an LTE area off of Wi-Fi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Matt in FL

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Skyrocket to Jellybean yesterday afternoon, and thus far in my short experience, I've found a half dozen things to be irritated about, and seen no benefits from whatever was changed or "improved."

Selected gripes:
  • Gmail seems super laggy, both on wifi and off. Easily 2/3 of the emails I've read since then have lagged at some point during scrolling through them. Same thing with scrolling through my Inbox. Sometimes it scrolls 4-6 times without incident, other times it scrolls once or twice and then hangs for a second before catching up. Archiving an email lags for a half second or so almost every time before flipping me back to the Inbox.
  • I loathe the new AccuWeather widget. Under ICS you had 2-3 size options for it; under JB you have one choice: a 4x2 monster that takes up half the screen you put it on. The old 2x1 widget was perfect for me; it scrolled through my 3 cities and gave me the city name, the temperature, and a background that showed the weather. No extraneous information. The new one has a HUGE clock that by itself is as big as the old widget (Why do I need a clock there? There's one in the status bar literally 1/4" away!), and though it scrolls through the cities, you have to look closely because the city name invariably falls right at the visually noisy line between the grass and sky on the background photo. If it's a Cloudy day, the city name stands out easily from the dark background, but if it's Sunny or Rain there, the city name disappears.
  • The picture frame widget (both of them, Picture Frame and Simple Picture Frame) have a minimum size of 2x2 now; under ICS they would go down to 2x1, which slotted in nicely under the old Accuweather widget. 2x1 also fit the aspect ratio of most landscape photo resolutions, while the new 2x2 does some weird combination of squish and crop, so sometimes you end up with squished faces, and sometimes you end up with headless people.
  • The old Samsung Allshare app under ICS easily connected to and played streamed video from my PS3 Media Server on my home wifi. The Allshare app is gone as a separate entity; the functionality has been integrated directly into the Video Player app under "Nearby Devices." However, though the ND list can see my PS3 Media Server, it tells me there's no content there ("Contents location is not available. Check network status and connected device."). I've regained streaming functionality with BubbleUPnP, but it irritates me to have to download an app to do (not as well and with ads) something that used to just... work.
  • The status bar seems to have gone from white icons on a black background to very light gray icons on a very dark gray background, which makes them somewhat harder to see, especially in bright outdoor environments. One of my background wallpapers has a completely black frame around it, and I'd estimate the status bar background is 10-15% lighter.
  • With all the system crap on the Notification Shade and two non-removable "Ongoings" (one is my Wi-Fi connection), my actual notifications don't start until 60% of the way down the screen. This guy said it better than me:
    n8ter#AC said:
    I'm not sure I like the new Notification Shade. You can barely see anything because of all the bull**** they have inserted into there...There's Date/Time, then Quick Toggles, then Brightness (seriously?), and if you're on WiFi you literally have always an Ongoing notification telling you you're connected and what network you're connected to. Just by default half of the notification screen is unusable and mostly because of the useless WiFi Notification and Useless Brightness toggle in there. If you get any real notifications, you now have to scroll to see them when before you simply had to pull down the shade and view it.
    I will note that most of the visual changes to my Skyrocket under JB make it look just like my buddy's S3. The difference is that his screen is slightly bigger in both dimensions, and so things (like the Notification Shade info) just look like they "fit" better. Even though mine's only 0.3" inches smaller, stuff just looks "shoehorned" into my Skyrocket by comparison.

Like n8ter#AC above, I also use SwiftKey, but contrary to his experience, I've had no issues with it remaining my default keyboard. I haven't seen any spontaneous reboots yet, but I've manually rebooted easily half a dozen times, and it's stayed my default without fail.

I've had JB less than 24 hours at this point, so I can't speak to battery life with any authority yet, but so far it looks in line with what ICS was.

Oh, hey. My first post here. How'd I do? :p

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
you can't go back

As with what n8ter#AC said, you CAN go back to stock ICS if you search in XDA-Developers or other sites.

Oh, hey. My first post here. How'd I do? :p

Not too shabby, and welcome! :)

does the update mean I will lose all of the programs I already have installed?

You should still have all your apps that you installed post-installation. But, like with any install, I always back up my data just in case. Also, as already referenced earlier by other members that some pre-installed apps from ATT or Samsung went away in this update.

deedeesteiner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
omg I just upsated to jb and for the life of me cannot figure out how to take a screenshot!! I have an s2skyrocket and it used to be power/lock+home key.. but not anymore!! help!!

deedeesteiner

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I updated my s2skyrocket last nite as well.. thus far I'm loving it, EXCEPT, I can't figure out how to take a scrn shot!! it was lock+home key but now idn how to do it!! help! "(

cooltime7

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Just updated to JB this morning and still getting used to it. I'm also not too fond of the new SMS screen. I have Swiftkey and haven't experienced any issues with the keyboard defaulting to something else, even after restarting.

However, my major issue right now is whenever I'm typing a text I'm constantly getting a vibration with each letter typed. I have haptic feedback turned off yet it is still giving me a vibration with every keystroke. Anyone else experience this as well and is there any way to get rid of the vibration? It's really annoying, not to mention probably using extra battery.

Thanks!

Trisha Dee

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
ok its 23/4/13 my phone sgs2 has got new firm ware update so instead of 5 odd hours for phone to do it I've connected to pc now my problem is it won't download latest version ... ikeep getting cannot stop kies tray agent process to reboot your pc and try again...... i done a download of what I thought was latest kies but before I get the before mentioned error I get there is a newer version but then get the error message, I have rebooted but still get the same error .... now is this jelly bean thing the new thing to download ..... this whole name change n stuff does my head in......do I even get to choose my colour jelly bean/ flavor lmfao......
can someone please message me on removed by Moderator with their answer of wtf should I be doing as i doubt I will come back to site so I will b none the wiser :) thanx peeps

Last edited by a moderator:

EA6B

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The last KIES update went well. This one is a crap shoot! ESET is off, KIES is updated and nothing. It starts and completes the update file download, then KIES goes off and nothing happens. About ready to tell Samsung just what I feel about KIES.

E

r_ant

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
So I'm trying to upgrade my Skyrocket here and the firmware upgrade popup has been stuck at 0% for over 15 mins. The cancel button is also greyed out. My phone says it's downloading but nothing else is happening. Any advice?

EA6B

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I've tried going on 5+ hours now. Tried on my main XP computer and on a Vista computer. Nothing. I'm giving it up for now.

Good luck!