Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and new to smartphones in general. So I was hoping I could take a few minutes and ask some questions regarding the S2 Skyrocket.

I want to change from my existing voice and text family plan and go to a prepaid plan. I am thinking that the S2 Skyrocket would be good to start with, reasonably priced for a used/refurbished one and still have a lot of good features. My coverage area can probably support only 3G right now, don't know when it would be upgraded.

Will the Skyrocket be a good choice for the next 2 or 3 years? Especially if I don't expect anything faster than 3G? I am looking at ebay for an unlocked AT&T phone which I would try on one of the AT&T virtual networks but if I wasn't happy with that then I could also try a T-Mobile (or other carrier) network.

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.
    08-18-2013 12:20 PM
    You might be the only one who can answer these questions. For the tech journalists on this site, this phone would definitely not be a good choice even for the next year. For my parents or gf, maybe.

Do you need a sharp display? The display has good color saturation, but WVGA is low-end by today's standards.

Are you a light or heavy user? Are you okay with only 8-12 hours of battery? Battery was ok for an LTE phone by 2011's standards, but I think most people expect to get through a full day (wake to sleep) now. You may want to step up to an S3 or another 2012 phone for that.

If you unlock the phone, it works on both AT&T and T-Mobile's LTE. However for T-Mobile, if you're in an area without LTE or the 1900Mhz refarm, you'll need to flash a T-Mobile radio to use T-Mobile's 3G. If you're a first time smartphone user, this may be too much trouble for you.
    08-18-2013 01:01 PM
    Thank you for the reply. I was just thinking this phone would have decent performance for the price but it sounds like I should also look at others. Would the S3 be a phone which would "keep up" for the next few years?
    08-18-2013 02:30 PM