Galaxy S II on AT & T GoPhone(Prepaid)

funandroid

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone think that I would have a problem using this phone on AT&T's prepaid service?
I'm surrounded by Wi-Fi at home and on campus. I don't use my minutes a lot or text a lot. I use google voice to do most of it on Wi-Fi network. I'm just wasting my money on a contract($65/month) whereas I can buy a card for $25 and use it for a maximum of 3 months.

Thanks for the help. :)

funandroid

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, I did buy this phone through expansys USA and I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I love it. It works fine with AT & T service and I get HSPA+ speeds (which is not that speed on AT & T anyway). All I had to do is get a prepaid card (atleast $25) when signing up and I get a free SIM (be aware, some AT&T resellers will charge for SIM) and since it's unlocked it works right out of the box.

Couple of comments about the phone:-
This baby does not know what "lag" means...
Apple's Retina display can beg Super AMOLED+ for brighter colors...lol

Kingfrog

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, I did buy this phone through expansys USA and I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I love it. It works fine with AT & T service and I get HSPA+ speeds (which is not that speed on AT & T anyway). All I had to do is get a prepaid card (atleast $25) when signing up and I get a free SIM (be aware, some AT&T resellers will charge for SIM) and since it's unlocked it works right out of the box.

He speaks the truth......

Although I am on a plan 550 minutes UL MediaNet data $15........ I resign for iphones then sell them on Ebay.

BaLs

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

Does the GoPhone prepaid HSDPA work on your Galaxy S2? I'm confuse because you said $25, that $25 Monthly Plan should cost you 1? per 5 KB or you buy a package.

Another thing I noticed is when buying prepaid package from ATT web, it seems you have to buy one of their Go Phone.

I need clarification and this is my situation, I have a Nokia 5580, capable of 3G on same band of AT&T 3G.

I'm planning to buy the $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan which gives you unlimited data then later buy Internationl Unlocked Galaxy Note use it with this plan.

Will I have HSDPA speed with the Galaxy Note?

Hokoban

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
With an unlocked Samsung i9100 Galaxy S 2, you definitely can sign up with Gophone $50 unlimited plan, I just did it yesterday. I can't answer the question whether it's HSDPA or not, but the 3G icon shows up to the left of the signal bars. The set up of my phone is:

APN: at&t wap.cingular
Network mode: gsm/wcdma (auto mode)

Here's the long story: I went to an at&t store and asked to covert from my at&t wireless account to Gophone, the 2 girls greeted me there asked for the brand and model. As soon as I told them it's an S 2, one said everything would work except for the data. I immediately left since I sensed that they wouldn't want to help anyway. Couple hours later, I went to another at&t store in Milpitas, CA. The young kid there just simply asked for my phone, read the sim card's id (from my existing standard plan), mucked around with it for 15 minutes and off I went!

One thing I noticed was that he had to go some sort of hoops to get it up running. I have no idea what he did, but he did have to take out the battery as one of the tries - and he had to run off to discuss with someone else couple times. The bottom line is: you need someone willing to help.

Hokoban

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Just a follow up on my last reply ...

HSDPA does show on my S2:

Settings -> About phone -> Status -> Mobile network type

But I guess it depends where. HSDPA shows up at my work place, but at some place it shows UMTS. From wikipedia, they're pretty much the same.

funandroid

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Does the GoPhone prepaid HSDPA work on your Galaxy S2? I'm confuse because you said $25, that $25 Monthly Plan should cost you 1? per 5 KB or you buy a package.

Another thing I noticed is when buying prepaid package from ATT web, it seems you have to buy one of their Go Phone.

I need clarification and this is my situation, I have a Nokia 5580, capable of 3G on same band of AT&T 3G.

I'm planning to buy the $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan which gives you unlimited data then later buy Internationl Unlocked Galaxy Note use it with this plan.

Will I have HSDPA speed with the Galaxy Note?

Yes, HSDPA works on both Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note. Because they have the antenna frequency bands to support. If you check the technical specifications you'll find AT&T supports 850/1900/2100 and Galaxy Note has 850/1900/2100 and additionally 900 MHz for europe countries.
my Galaxy S2 does support HSDPA and Galaxy Note should support HSDPA since the antenna configuration is the same.
Check comparison : Samsung Galaxy Note vs. Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II - GSMArena.com

My prepaid plan is 250 mins, unlimited msgs and 500 MB of data which costs me $50/month.
If you don't use much data, you can get 100 MB of data for $10 less.
$50 unlimited plan only gives you unlimited minutes and messages. You have to buy additional data plan.
Also, currently if you wanted to sign up for 2-yr contract you have to atleast pay $75/month (450 mins, unlimited msgs, 200 MB data).

Also, when you go to AT&T store, they try to sell you the GoPhones. Just tell them you already have a phone and they'll get you a SIM for free.

Hokoban

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
> $50 unlimited plan only gives you unlimited minutes and messages. You have to buy additional data plan.

Not true in my case, $50/mon is truly unlimited data, I've been on this for 2+ weeks. Maybe due to geo difference, mine was initiated in Milpitas, CA.

funandroid

May 9, 2011
Visit site
According to AT & T (if you read the notes):-
?Smartphone users must purchase a data package to use data services with any plan. Pay-per-use is not available with smartphones.

I do see unlimited for "mobile web (eligible phones)" which is included in $50 plan.

So, I thought it's only for feature phones and it's 2G.
I thought you had to purchase this special data package so that you get faster 3G/4G speeds.

Are you getting 3G/H+ next to the signal?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hokoban

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
funandroid,

You're correct all along about $50/month unlimited!!! That holds true only for dumb phones, not for the S2. The kid who got my S2 working with the data plan misunderstood the fine print as I did.

I jinxed myself ... after I wrote the reply to you yesterday, my data service stopped over night. My account history still shows that I had GPRS service up until then. I called at&t and found out that they somehow figured out that they made a mistake, so they corrected it, after 2+ weeks! They probably read this forum :-[

Now I'm all bumped out, I have to cough up another $15/month for a measly 100MB.

funandroid

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Oh.. that's too bad...

Do you really need unlimited minutes?
You can get 250 mins and unlimited msgs for $25/month.
There are other alternatives like Google Voice with Groove IP app.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a att go phone and I have and use data on it. My question is, will a unlocked att samsung galaxy s2 from Amazon work with me just putting in my go phone sims card?

as I said, I use the data now some, but will mostly be using the wifi at home if I get the samsung g s2.

for me, I don't want to have a contract or I don't need the unlimited $50.00 plan, what I have now works fine for me.

I just want to see if anyone else has tried this and it works, before I shell out all them $$.

I have put my sims card in other phones I've had and they worked, fine.

anyone else tried this?

also, will Samsung warrenty phones bought from Amazon?

nottinmatterz

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a att go phone and I have and use data on it. My question is, will a unlocked att samsung galaxy s2 from Amazon work with me just putting in my go phone sims card?

as I said, I use the data now some, but will mostly be using the wifi at home if I get the samsung g s2.

for me, I don't want to have a contract or I don't need the unlimited $50.00 plan, what I have now works fine for me.

I just want to see if anyone else has tried this and it works, before I shell out all them $$.

I have put my sims card in other phones I've had and they worked, fine.

anyone else tried this?

also, will Samsung warrenty phones bought from Amazon?

Also interested if anyone has gotten 4G service with pay as you go?

I'm pretty sure the gophone SIM card will work when put into a Samsung galaxy or NEXUS which I want.

Currently getting 3G data. My sim card was originally a plan card anyway then i switched to pay as you go