3 million galaxy S2 units sold world wide in less than 60 days, and NOT ONE HINT of a US release. Every speck of info we have of this phone's US release is pure rumor and speculation there is absolutely no concrete or official evidence showing when or IF this phone will release in the US. How in the world can Samsung justify NOT shipping this in the US to their stockholders???
    Josh515 and aleccj1 like this.
    07-04-2011 06:46 PM
    It takes the carriers time to screw it all up.
    07-04-2011 06:49 PM
    It takes the carriers time to screw it all up.
    That really brings up another question I've always had. Why can't Samsung just release two models in the US without the carriers backing them??? Why not release a CDMA phone with VZW and Sprint bands and then a GSM phone with ATT and Tmo bands?? Why must the carriers get involved??
    07-04-2011 07:06 PM
    That really brings up another question I've always had. Why can't Samsung just release two models in the US without the carriers backing them??? Why not release a CDMA phone with VZW and Sprint bands and then a GSM phone with ATT and Tmo bands?? Why must the carriers get involved??
    Because no one besides phone crazies like us is going to spend $700 on a phone. It wouldn't make any sense business wise.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    07-04-2011 09:23 PM
    They have released an unlocked GSM version. They won't release a CDMA version, because Verizon and Sprint only allow their own branded phones on their network.
    07-04-2011 09:36 PM
    They have released an unlocked GSM version. They won't release a CDMA version, because Verizon and Sprint only allow their own branded phones on their network.
    What about the iPhone on Verizon? It's not branded, right?
    07-04-2011 10:50 PM
    Its branded and locked.
    07-05-2011 08:36 AM
    Strictly a carrier issue, not a Samsung issue.
    EggoEspada likes this.
    07-05-2011 05:19 PM
    Will this phone unlocked work on T-mobile HSPA+ network? I am guessing it doesnt work on AT&T HSPA+, so if the merge goes through i would not be able to use it on AT&Ts network?
    07-05-2011 05:29 PM
    Strictly a carrier issue, not a Samsung issue.
    I also agree with the above post that carriers are the ones behind it. Someone from Samsung at the AC reader's meeting in NYC, gave me that answer as well/
    07-05-2011 05:42 PM
    Different scenario. Apple has a stronger hand in control over other companies. The iPhone is an instant seller and always reels in money for the carriers. Verizon wants their money and subscribers, so they play by Apple's rules. The Galaxy S2 may be a solid device and possibly the best the industry offers and Samsung may be a big name, but aren't at Apple's level quite yet. So we're just going to have to wait till the carriers are ready to release they're devices. Till then, Samsung offers an unlocked version that should work on both AT&T and T-mobile.
    07-05-2011 05:54 PM
    Different scenario. Apple has a stronger hand in control over other companies. The iPhone is an instant seller and always reels in money for the carriers. Verizon wants their money and subscribers, so they play by Apple's rules. The Galaxy S2 may be a solid device and possibly the best the industry offers and Samsung may be a big name, but aren't at Apple's level quite yet. So we're just going to have to wait till the carriers are ready to release they're devices. Till then, Samsung offers an unlocked version that should work on both AT&T and T-mobile.
    It does wok on T-mobile, but not on 3g otherwise i'd have imported one back in April. As for ATT i'm just not interested in jumping on over to their network. I just wish Samsung was at the mercy of the consumer rather than the carriers.
    07-05-2011 06:27 PM
    Will this phone unlocked work on T-mobile HSPA+ network? I am guessing it doesnt work on AT&T HSPA+, so if the merge goes through i would not be able to use it on AT&Ts network?
    07-05-2011 08:56 PM
    The current international unlocked version is AT&T hspa+ compatible but incompatible with tmo's hspa.
    07-05-2011 08:59 PM
    The only way the wait could be justified on verizon if it is an LTE phone. That would make all my dreams come true!!!!!!
    07-05-2011 09:06 PM
    If you are gonna get the unlocked, international version of the S2, be sure you buy it from someone that will help you with warranty returns. The international version is ineligible for warranty service in the US.
    07-05-2011 11:42 PM
    If you are gonna get the unlocked, international version of the S2, be sure you buy it from someone that will help you with warranty returns. The international version is ineligible for warranty service in the US.
    Yeah but all u need to do is buy a warranty with squaretrade.
    07-06-2011 12:57 AM
    am I the only one who thinks that the Samsung Plato scheduled to be released in August is the SGS2? Am I just being optimistic?
    07-06-2011 01:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD