07-19-2011 05:19 PM
73 123
tools
    You can buy the GSII here use it on t-mobile or att Smartphones, Tablets, HTC, Motorola, BlackBerry - from Clove

Stretching the truth? There are many issues I could have added. Listen I'm not bashing Samsung, I want the Galaxy SII. But all these manufacturers have the same issues when releasing new phones. Look at the disaster the Nexus S 4G is for Sprint. To say one has superior hardware over another just isn't the case. Samsung, Motorola and HTC all make great Android phones, its all personal preference when choosing one.

Since you don't believe me about Sprint and Verizon, here's an article that just came out. There's another one but i can't remember what site it was on. I'll post it for you if I can find it.

Where Are All The Samsung Galaxy S2s For The US?
    07-10-2011 04:32 AM
    I repair phones for a living and have worked on a few LTE phones such as the thunderbolt it has one motherboard and does not have a separate radio board... see this video for proof of this..

Now on to the Evo 4g also one motherboard about the same size its WiMax 4g

and for the 3rd an HTC droid incredible as you can see there is not a big difference in motherboard size on this one all the basic components are about the same size the phone is over all smaller then the 4g models but if you look closely you can see that there is not much of a size difference

You can clearly see there is not really much size difference LTE radios do not require any more room and as far as your compering the 2 in size the LTE radio had nothing to do with it. the fascinate has a double sided PCB with ram cpu and Gpu on one side the radio wifi bt and so on on the other side the droid charge has all this on one side so its going to look bigger but that was Samsung answer to the phones like the droid x and so on its just has a BIG screen its not big because of the LTE radio.

Look at THIS PIC here http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4465/ChargePCB2.PNG the VIA telecom chip is no bigger then the CPU right above it.
    I never said separate radio board. Learn to read pal. It has a separate LTE RADIO. So for a phone like the Charge, it has to have the VIA chip alongside a Samsung LTE chip. And its assorted hardware takes up much more space than a non-LTE handset.

Look, there is NOT A CHANCE that there will be a Galaxy S II in its current form with an LTE radio. It is physically impossible. That's the end of the discussion.
    07-10-2011 02:43 PM
    No its not the end of it because look at the pic do you see a samsung LTE Chip NO you dont just the VIA LTE radio chip its an all in one design has the normal CDMA as well as the LTE built in to that one chip I know i am right...

I broke it all down for you here see attached photo shows the lay out compered to a lot of other phones no more room is needed and no additional chips are needed just one all in one chip

I never said separate radio board. Learn to read pal. It has a separate LTE RADIO. So for a phone like the Charge, it has to have the VIA chip alongside a Samsung LTE chip. And its assorted hardware takes up much more space than a non-LTE handset.

Look, there is NOT A CHANCE that there will be a Galaxy S II in its current form with an LTE radio. It is physically impossible. That's the end of the discussion.
    07-10-2011 04:12 PM
    im almost positive the sg2 will be on sprint & verizon by x-mas this year despite the delays.
    07-10-2011 05:09 PM
    No its not the end of it because look at the pic do you see a samsung LTE Chip NO you dont just the VIA LTE radio chip its an all in one design has the normal CDMA as well as the LTE built in to that one chip I know i am right...

I broke it all down for you here see attached photo shows the lay out compered to a lot of other phones no more room is needed and no additional chips are needed just one all in one chip
    Great post
    07-10-2011 10:45 PM

Erm. Except that's not an accurate analysis you're using. Did you even bother to read the analysis by Anandtech? (Here's a link for you in case you don't bother to go read it: AnandTech - Samsung Droid Charge Review - Droid Goes LTE ) The Charge runs Via for CDMA/EVDO and a Samsung Proprietary chip for LTE. Completely different (and separate) chipset. Via does NOT make any LTE chipset compatible with Verizon. Just look at the Thunderbolt for the added (expensive) components to integrate the LTE chipset. There is no less than four additional (and major) pieces of technology that have to be added for it to work.

From that picture:

1) The Via telecom chip runs CDMA/EVDO only
    2) The chip that runs LTE is the one with SAMSUNG in all capital letters. If you look at it, underneath it it says 'CMC220' which is Samsung's LTE baseband chip. To the left of that chip is the Hummingbird. (if you look closely, it says ARM on it)

The chip that runs LTE, and its assorted supporting chips etc., is the size of the Hummingbird. That is part of the cost of first generation; the components run big and they run hot. I'd say the size of the LTE chipset (as big as hummingbird and as power hungry) is plenty enough reason for the SII not to have it.

BTW: in Anandtech's analysis they even spell it out clear as day.

"We dont have to disassemble anything either, as the FCC has some nice shots of the Charges main PCB showing both basebands sitting pretty next to Hummingbird and its PoP LPDDR2. Center bottom is the VIA Telecom 7.1 (you can even make out VIA), and above it is the Samsung CMC220. "

But, that's neither here nor there.

We've heard it out of the mouth of a verizon engineer that it would be physically impossible to package LTE into the Galaxy SII unless they wait until the first revision chips that will physically downsize the LTE chipset. Those haven't even begun to be approved by Verizon yet, so it won't be until early 2012 until that happens.

As I said. This conversation is over. LTE will not be in the Galaxy SII unless there are some major changes to the form factor.
    07-11-2011 12:45 AM
    This is the same reason Apple has said that the iPhone 5 will not have LTE either. Verizon LTE is an amazing network but the chips aren't ready for primetime unless you're using a MiFi or a USB modem.
    07-11-2011 12:49 PM
    Posted 30 mins ago. I found it funny. I'd venture to speculate that they're referring to the article that prompted this thread ...

Samsung Mobile USA ‎@Christopher You might want to do a little internet searching to find out why the GS II isn't out yet in the States. Believe you me, we want it out as soon as possible.
    29 minutes ago 1 person

That sure looks like a big index finger pointed at the US carriers to me.
    07-11-2011 04:16 PM
    Posted 30 mins ago. I found it funny. I'd venture to speculate that they're referring to the article that prompted this thread ...

Samsung Mobile USA ‎@Christopher You might want to do a little internet searching to find out why the GS II isn't out yet in the States. Believe you me, we want it out as soon as possible.
    29 minutes ago 1 person

That sure looks like a big index finger pointed at the US carriers to me.
    Beyond frustrating, people are ALL OVER Facebook asking where this is, they are ALL OVER Twitter asking where this is and Samsung is stuck in negotiations with US telecoms. They should be beholden to their customers NOT some stupid greedy Telecom, this is hurting them more than they know we are the largest tech market in the world and they haven't even released it in our market due to theses idiotic carriers.
    07-11-2011 05:00 PM
    The answer to question of selling directly to the public can be no surprise. In order to keep R&D funded, PR positive, and prototypes still going to trade shows takes major capital. Service providers are willing to take the risk of purchasing millions of handsets, a guarantee for the phone developers. If you sell to the general public without other contracts, the risk you run is not covering the overhead. That can mean millions of dollars, and whatever people believe about how wealthy companies like Samsung are, what we know in terms cash tied up in deals, contracts, and costs is limited and it could mean that some companies are on a budget that heavily relies on relationships to other companies that fund future ventures. So, while I would love it if Samsung sold their phone straight to my hand, they need the service provider to make the efforts to produce it worth the work that goes into the phone.
    Simba501 likes this.
    07-11-2011 06:07 PM
    But Apple found a way to use their size (and their retail presence) to push carriers to take the iPhone without modification. You would think Samsung would be big enough to do this as well but even Google coudn't succeed against the carriers with the Nexus.

LTE is really going to level the playing field because all phones will be able to work on all carriers. Maybe then, manufacturers will have more confidence to go directly to the consumer and take out the middle man.
    07-11-2011 07:20 PM
    But Apple found a way to use their size (and their retail presence) to push carriers to take the iPhone without modification. You would think Samsung would be big enough to do this as well but even Google coudn't succeed against the carriers with the Nexus.

LTE is really going to level the playing field because all phones will be able to work on all carriers. Maybe then, manufacturers will have more confidence to go directly to the consumer and take out the middle man.
    That's actually not true. LTE is being operated at different frequencies on the different carriers, meaning that you will never be able to use an LTE 700 device from verizon on the LTE AWS AT&T network.
    07-12-2011 12:45 AM
    Oh, and to add to the 'it will not have LTE as currently designed' pile, here's a shot of the SII's PCB. As all of you can see, it would be physically impossible to add LTE to this design:
    07-12-2011 12:49 AM
    Oh, and to add to the 'it will not have LTE as currently designed' pile, here's a shot of the SII's PCB. As all of you can see, it would be physically impossible to add LTE to this design:
    Whether it is currently designed for it or not, the VZW GSII will either have LTE on it, or it will end up being an awkward and borderline irrelevant device on VZW... which would be a great shame, considering how great this phone is in every other aspect. A LTE Enabled GSII matches favorably against the Bionic, and has a great selling point over the new iPhone coming in Sept.

Meanwhile a non LTE GSII :

... loses all the people who insist on the very best technology to the Bionic, and it loses the popularity contest to the new iPhone simply because it won't have a major sticking point over it.

The average, uneducated person will pick up a 3g only GSII and an iPhone. They will both have snappy response times, despite the GSII's better hardware. The iPhone's screen will be higher resolution, and the iPhone is a far more established brand in the US. Those average, uneducated sheeple are where the bulk of the sales come from, and you need something dramatic to show the difference between the phones....something dramatic, like say side by siding the two phones as they watch the same youtube video....

Just my $0.02
    07-12-2011 03:34 AM
    Drosul it will more than likely be an LTE compatible handset. There are a lot of assumptions being thrown around as to why it wont. I'm guessing by August this discussion about LTE will be put to bed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    07-12-2011 10:18 AM
    That's actually not true. LTE is being operated at different frequencies on the different carriers, meaning that you will never be able to use an LTE 700 device from verizon on the LTE AWS AT&T network.
    You may be right but I'm hoping they will have multi-band LTE radios like they have with GSM. Is this technically possible with LTE?
    07-12-2011 12:57 PM
    You may be right but I'm hoping they will have multi-band LTE radios like they have with GSM. Is this technically possible with LTE?
    I think Samsung is truly feeling the pressure over this delay. They were all over Facebook and Twitter today and yesterday pointing the finger at the carriers.
    07-12-2011 01:46 PM

That's the thing. When someone brings up Apple, people automatically think of an iPod or iPhone but when someone brings up Samsung, they think TV's...
    07-12-2011 02:56 PM
    Drosul it will more than likely be an LTE compatible handset. There are a lot of assumptions being thrown around as to why it wont. I'm guessing by August this discussion about LTE will be put to bed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    They are not assumptions, they are the barebones facts of the device as we currently know it; unless they drastically alter the form factor, the Galaxy SII will not have LTE. Period. End of discussion.
    07-12-2011 08:59 PM
    They are not assumptions, they are the barebones facts of the device as we currently know it; unless they drastically alter the form factor, the Galaxy SII will not have LTE. Period. End of discussion.
    Drastically alter? Whats drastically altering mean? They need to add 2" to the thickness and 1" to the width and length?

or perhaps a little alteration to the chassis and body would suffice? or does it really need to be a drastic alteration? Define drasticlly altering to the ill informed. I'm curious since you are the resident expert on everything Android.

BTW this is off topic but could you please tell me what the equation is for explaining the Quantum Energy Field and how String Theory actually works? Thanks..........
    07-12-2011 10:56 PM
    Drastically alter? Whats drastically altering mean? They need to add 2" to the thickness and 1" to the width and length?

or perhaps a little alteration to the chassis and body would suffice? or does it really need to be a drastic alteration? Define drasticlly altering to the ill informed. I'm curious since you are the resident expert on everything Android.

BTW this is off topic but could you please tell me what the equation is for explaining the Quantum Energy Field and how String Theory actually works? Thanks..........
    Look at the picture I posted of the Galaxy SII's PCB. Then look at the Charge's. There is physically no space on that PCB for an LTE chipset short of redesigning the entire thing. That's pretty drastic.
    07-13-2011 01:05 AM
    Look at the picture I posted of the Galaxy SII's PCB. Then look at the Charge's. There is physically no space on that PCB for an LTE chipset short of redesigning the entire thing. That's pretty drastic.
    Not all chipsets are created equally. The Droid Charge used Samsung's own baseband chipset (Samsung Favors Taiwan's Via Tech for Droid Charge Handset), but the SGS2 uses Infineon's XMM6260 (Samsung Galaxy S II teardown reveals major redesign, cutting-edge tech - Cellphone Electronic and Computer Review). While I can't say for sure, it looks like that chip may be replaceable with an LTE baseband chip, the X-GOLD 706 (Intel Announces Slew of Mobile Chips, Including LTE (Phone Scoop)), as they're both based on the 626 architecture.

Obviously, none of this means anything until we get official word, but don't discard the possibility just because the chip sizes aren't the same.
    07-19-2011 03:38 PM
    Pleeeezze ATT do NOT get the SGS II I am enjoying unlimited data for $10 on mine....That will be over when/if the Attain gets released....or not since mine is Euro version, Let the minions drool over the Iphone 5 and leave the "SGS II off the books" Yeah Cingular 410 is sower but It still streams audio and Video 3G (says H+) in real time without glitches. for $120 a year,,,,

Like ATT passed on the great Nokia N series before.

Yeah great first post here......I know. Been flashing a couple Cappys since last year... over at XDA.
    07-19-2011 05:19 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD