Well the reason has been given.

Dmunjal

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
But Apple found a way to use their size (and their retail presence) to push carriers to take the iPhone without modification. You would think Samsung would be big enough to do this as well but even Google coudn't succeed against the carriers with the Nexus.

LTE is really going to level the playing field because all phones will be able to work on all carriers. Maybe then, manufacturers will have more confidence to go directly to the consumer and take out the middle man.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
But Apple found a way to use their size (and their retail presence) to push carriers to take the iPhone without modification. You would think Samsung would be big enough to do this as well but even Google coudn't succeed against the carriers with the Nexus.

LTE is really going to level the playing field because all phones will be able to work on all carriers. Maybe then, manufacturers will have more confidence to go directly to the consumer and take out the middle man.

That's actually not true. LTE is being operated at different frequencies on the different carriers, meaning that you will never be able to use an LTE 700 device from verizon on the LTE AWS AT&T network.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Oh, and to add to the 'it will not have LTE as currently designed' pile, here's a shot of the SII's PCB. As all of you can see, it would be physically impossible to add LTE to this design:

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh, and to add to the 'it will not have LTE as currently designed' pile, here's a shot of the SII's PCB. As all of you can see, it would be physically impossible to add LTE to this design:

Whether it is currently designed for it or not, the VZW GSII will either have LTE on it, or it will end up being an awkward and borderline irrelevant device on VZW... which would be a great shame, considering how great this phone is in every other aspect. A LTE Enabled GSII matches favorably against the Bionic, and has a great selling point over the new iPhone coming in Sept.

Meanwhile a non LTE GSII :

... loses all the people who insist on the very best technology to the Bionic, and it loses the popularity contest to the new iPhone simply because it won't have a major sticking point over it.

The average, uneducated person will pick up a 3g only GSII and an iPhone. They will both have snappy response times, despite the GSII's better hardware. The iPhone's screen will be higher resolution, and the iPhone is a far more established brand in the US. Those average, uneducated sheeple are where the bulk of the sales come from, and you need something dramatic to show the difference between the phones....something dramatic, like say side by siding the two phones as they watch the same youtube video....

Just my $0.02

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Drosul it will more than likely be an LTE compatible handset. There are a lot of assumptions being thrown around as to why it wont. I'm guessing by August this discussion about LTE will be put to bed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dmunjal

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
That's actually not true. LTE is being operated at different frequencies on the different carriers, meaning that you will never be able to use an LTE 700 device from verizon on the LTE AWS AT&T network.

You may be right but I'm hoping they will have multi-band LTE radios like they have with GSM. Is this technically possible with LTE?

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
You may be right but I'm hoping they will have multi-band LTE radios like they have with GSM. Is this technically possible with LTE?
I think Samsung is truly feeling the pressure over this delay. They were all over Facebook and Twitter today and yesterday pointing the finger at the carriers.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

That's the thing. When someone brings up Apple, people automatically think of an iPod or iPhone but when someone brings up Samsung, they think TV's... :p

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Drosul it will more than likely be an LTE compatible handset. There are a lot of assumptions being thrown around as to why it wont. I'm guessing by August this discussion about LTE will be put to bed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

They are not assumptions, they are the barebones facts of the device as we currently know it; unless they drastically alter the form factor, the Galaxy SII will not have LTE. Period. End of discussion.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
They are not assumptions, they are the barebones facts of the device as we currently know it; unless they drastically alter the form factor, the Galaxy SII will not have LTE. Period. End of discussion.
Drastically alter? Whats drastically altering mean? They need to add 2" to the thickness and 1" to the width and length?

or perhaps a little alteration to the chassis and body would suffice? or does it really need to be a drastic alteration? Define drasticlly altering to the ill informed. I'm curious since you are the resident expert on everything Android.

BTW this is off topic but could you please tell me what the equation is for explaining the Quantum Energy Field and how String Theory actually works? Thanks..........

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Drastically alter? Whats drastically altering mean? They need to add 2" to the thickness and 1" to the width and length?

or perhaps a little alteration to the chassis and body would suffice? or does it really need to be a drastic alteration? Define drasticlly altering to the ill informed. I'm curious since you are the resident expert on everything Android.

BTW this is off topic but could you please tell me what the equation is for explaining the Quantum Energy Field and how String Theory actually works? Thanks..........

Look at the picture I posted of the Galaxy SII's PCB. Then look at the Charge's. There is physically no space on that PCB for an LTE chipset short of redesigning the entire thing. That's pretty drastic.

masaokun

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Look at the picture I posted of the Galaxy SII's PCB. Then look at the Charge's. There is physically no space on that PCB for an LTE chipset short of redesigning the entire thing. That's pretty drastic.

Not all chipsets are created equally. The Droid Charge used Samsung's own baseband chipset (Samsung Favors Taiwan's Via Tech for Droid Charge Handset), but the SGS2 uses Infineon's XMM6260 (Samsung Galaxy S II teardown reveals major redesign, cutting-edge tech - Cellphone Electronic and Computer Review). While I can't say for sure, it looks like that chip may be replaceable with an LTE baseband chip, the X-GOLD 706 (Intel Announces Slew of Mobile Chips, Including LTE (Phone Scoop)), as they're both based on the 626 architecture.

Obviously, none of this means anything until we get official word, but don't discard the possibility just because the chip sizes aren't the same.

Kingfrog

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Pleeeezze ATT do NOT get the SGS II I am enjoying unlimited data for $10 on mine....That will be over when/if the Attain gets released....or not since mine is Euro version, Let the minions drool over the Iphone 5 and leave the "SGS II off the books" Yeah Cingular 410 is sower but It still streams audio and Video 3G (says H+) in real time without glitches. for $120 a year,,,,

Like ATT passed on the great Nokia N series before.

Yeah great first post here......I know. Been flashing a couple Cappys since last year... over at XDA.

Last edited: