I just read that FCC paperwork amended June 10, shows that the S2 doesn't support 4g. Then I read that it's coming to the US with Froyo. Now I'm concerned because so many people in AndroidCentral stated that Samsung is the worst when it comes to updating previously released phones. Because so many of us BB users got repeatedly burned by RIM's infrequent and poor OS updates, I'd like to avoid going through that again. I remember how frustrating it was to be stuck for months on end with a buggy OS that AT&T wouldn't provide the OS fix for They wanted us to buy a new phone. I really need to avoid that in the future. Since I've never owned a Samsung phone, I can't speak to how bad they are at updating their phones. Or is AT&T the problem? Is it that bad? Is the S2 so awesome that I should be happy with whatever they put on it? Does Gingerbread really matter that much?

I guess the waiting has caused me to start looking elsewhere. A little of the excitement has worn off.
    07-13-2011 10:08 PM
    As an original (non US-carrier version) SGS owner, I've literally lost count of how many updates Samsung has pushed for the phone, from Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread. The one thing they could not fix was the GPS issue, because that was a hardware related and all firmware updates could do was minimize the problem, not make it go away.

US Galaxy S phones, well, that's another issue entirely, and 99.9999999999999% of the customer satisfaction issues related to lack of updates can be traced back to the carriers, not Samsung.

In any case, there's no way in hell the S2 will release in the US with 2.2 on it, it'll be 2.3.x just like it is in the rest of the world.

And it does support HSPA+ up to 21mbits, faster than just about any carrier will have it. Does it support LTE? Nope.

But it's all a moot point for now, I don't expect the US carriers to sell it until(if) some of the FUD over the Apple injunction has cleared up. Apple is winning this battle because none of the US carriers want to market (millions of dollars), or set up a support infrastructure (more millions) for a device they'll have to ship back if Apple actually does get an injunction in the US.
    07-13-2011 10:30 PM
    I just read that FCC paperwork amended June 10, shows that the S2 doesn't support 4g. Then I read that it's coming to the US with Froyo. Now I'm concerned because so many people in AndroidCentral stated that Samsung is the worst when it comes to updating previously released phones. Because so many of us BB users got repeatedly burned by RIM's infrequent and poor OS updates, I'd like to avoid going through that again. I remember how frustrating it was to be stuck for months on end with a buggy OS that AT&T wouldn't provide the OS fix for They wanted us to buy a new phone. I really need to avoid that in the future. Since I've never owned a Samsung phone, I can't speak to how bad they are at updating their phones. Or is AT&T the problem? Is it that bad? Is the S2 so awesome that I should be happy with whatever they put on it? Does Gingerbread really matter that much?

I guess the waiting has caused me to start looking elsewhere. A little of the excitement has worn off.
    thats the budget SG2 you saw that came from June. the real SG2 based off of the UK one went through FCC in like March
    07-13-2011 11:41 PM
    As an original (non US-carrier version) SGS owner, I've literally lost count of how many updates Samsung has pushed for the phone, from Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread. The one thing they could not fix was the GPS issue, because that was a hardware related and all firmware updates could do was minimize the problem, not make it go away.

US Galaxy S phones, well, that's another issue entirely, and 99.9999999999999% of the customer satisfaction issues related to lack of updates can be traced back to the carriers, not Samsung.

In any case, there's no way in hell the S2 will release in the US with 2.2 on it, it'll be 2.3.x just like it is in the rest of the world.

And it does support HSPA+ up to 21mbits, faster than just about any carrier will have it. Does it support LTE? Nope.

But it's all a moot point for now, I don't expect the US carriers to sell it until(if) some of the FUD over the Apple injunction has cleared up. Apple is winning this battle because none of the US carriers want to market (millions of dollars), or set up a support infrastructure (more millions) for a device they'll have to ship back if Apple actually does get an injunction in the US.
    I guess if you love the phone and it performs for you, that counteracts any lag in updates, unless they're bug fixes. I read somewhere that Samsung charges AT&T and Verizon for OS updates that are incremental upgrades, so the article said that's why AT&T and Verizon don't release them; they don't want to pay Samsung for them. According to the article, Samsung doesn't charge for bug fixes, so the carriers put those out without delay.

If history serves, I expect that if Apple wins the lawsuit, it will be a matter of Samsung paying out vs. delaying the release of the phone. That may be evidenced by the timely release of the phone to everywhere else in the world. I don't know. I'm just guessing based on a handful of articles I've read from cnn and a few other places.

I'm glad to know that the phone will ship with 2.3 and that it's compatible with 4g. I couldn't imagine launching such an advanced phone with an antiquated OS, though I've seen them do just that with other phones like the Infuse.
    07-13-2011 11:57 PM
    thats the budget SG2 you saw that came from June. the real SG2 based off of the UK one went through FCC in like March
    Ohh. The article said the original paperwork went through the FCC in March<<<wrong The article said April<<<, but was amended in June. Who knows which paperwork they were talking about. I didn't see it. I only read the article about it. I didn't know there was a budget S2. To my way of thinking, why bother getting the phone at all if you're not going for the features that make it the best. It would be like buying a cheaper BMW that won't go over 55!
    07-14-2011 12:02 AM
    You sure the US version comes with Froyo? I highly doubt that, because 1) the Canadian version is definitely gingerbread, and 2) There are no Galaxy S2's with Froyo.

The Samsung Galaxy S llTM 4G is truly an amazing superphone. It's equipped with a powerful 1.2 GHz dual-core processor and is designed to run at incredible maximum speeds of 21 Mbps. It's a super-thin device with a 4.3" Super AMOLED Plus display that delivers the highest level of colour vividness. It also has an 8 MP camera with flash and a 2 MP front-facing camera, plus a 1080p camcorder to capture and play back full HD. Available soon on Canada's best network1.
    07-14-2011 06:02 AM
    You sure the US version comes with Froyo? I highly doubt that, because 1) the Canadian version is definitely gingerbread, and 2) There are no Galaxy S2's with Froyo.
    I wish I'd saved the link to the article. It spoke about the S2 releasing to the US with Froyo and that AT&T wasn't going to update it to Gingerbread because Samsung charges them for that. Instead, they were going to push the next Motorola phone since they don't have to pay Motorola to upgrade the OS.

It's probably more speculation. At this point, I'm really trying not to read too much about the S2 because I know a lot of people, online magazines, etc. are all speculating on what might be. I really don't know enough about this to speak intelligently about it. I'm just trying to figure out if I should continue to wait for the S2, or if another phone would meet my needs. I'm just sick of using this piece of garbage Blackberry.
    07-14-2011 11:16 PM
    I guess if you love the phone and it performs for you, that counteracts any lag in updates, unless they're bug fixes. I read somewhere that Samsung charges AT&T and Verizon for OS updates that are incremental upgrades, so the article said that's why AT&T and Verizon don't release them; they don't want to pay Samsung for them. According to the article, Samsung doesn't charge for bug fixes, so the carriers put those out without delay.

If history serves, I expect that if Apple wins the lawsuit, it will be a matter of Samsung paying out vs. delaying the release of the phone. That may be evidenced by the timely release of the phone to everywhere else in the world. I don't know. I'm just guessing based on a handful of articles I've read from cnn and a few other places.

I'm glad to know that the phone will ship with 2.3 and that it's compatible with 4g. I couldn't imagine launching such an advanced phone with an antiquated OS, though I've seen them do just that with other phones like the Infuse.
    Hopefully the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be updated to ICS later this year.
    07-15-2011 01:00 PM
    Hopefully the Samsung Galaxy S2 will be updated to ICS later this year.
    I was hoping for that as well. My fear is, they'll save it for the S3 in 2012. Can the S2 hardware accommodate ICS? I read about the S2 Plus, rumored to come out in the Fall with the launch of the iPhone 5 and loaded with ICS. Who knows if this is true or not but, if it is, I may end up waiting for the Plus because I'd be worried the S2 can't run ICS.
    fred1955 likes this.
    07-16-2011 05:33 PM
    It doesn;t matter really. With the way Samsung releases code and unlocked their devices Custom ROM builders are waaaaaay ahead of official releases. I ran Eclair last year for about a week before flashing a leaked froyo custom ROM. My SGS II is getting the official leak of GB 2.3.4 tonight.

With Samsung one does not have to fret official updates. The unofficial ones are a whole lot better and junk free.
    fred1955 likes this.
    07-19-2011 07:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD