I'm from London, UK and currently in Washington DC for an extended period. Just started new job so think I should be here for at least 18 months.

I'm really in need of a new phone and I've been keen to get this S2 for a few weeks. However, it obviously isn't coming out for a while by the way things are coming along.

Originally I thought of buying an import model for several advantages:
    1. Not knowing how long I will stay in US (maybe less than 2 years, therefore saving me potential monthly rental I would not use if I left early)
    2. Allowing me to join one of the super cheap networks (Simple Mobile @ $60 per month, or Straight Talk (GSM) @ $45 per month.
    3. Having it sooner, rather than later.
    4. Having an unlocked one I can use in UK at xmas.

I would really appreciate some help because conversations with sales reps in phone stores are all advising against buying an import and just waiting it out (although these have been conversations with T Mobile, ATT and Verizon - not cheap networks like simple / straight talk). They've all said I will only get 2G speeds if I buy an import (which I hear is true for T Mobile)..

Basically, for someone like me what is the best bet? I hardly use minutes so none of the offers being provided by the big companies really suit me - and they are the ones being offered with new smart phones (and therefore, the kind of deals I'd be offered for using a Galaxy S2 I imagine)

I would really like some kind of prepaid 3 or 4g plan, with up to 5gb net, and maybe 300 mins per month call time for usa. Is there some kind of prepaid plan I could do that with, that is compatible with import S2?

Thanks
    Or should I just wait and get it on one of the US networks.
    Basically
    07-20-2011 10:48 PM
    I'm from London, UK and currently in Washington DC for an extended period. Just started new job so think I should be here for at least 18 months.

I'm really in need of a new phone and I've been keen to get this S2 for a few weeks. However, it obviously isn't coming out for a while by the way things are coming along.

Originally I thought of buying an import model for several advantages:
    1. Not knowing how long I will stay in US (maybe less than 2 years, therefore saving me potential monthly rental I would not use if I left early)
    2. Allowing me to join one of the super cheap networks (Simple Mobile @ $60 per month, or Straight Talk (GSM) @ $45 per month.
    3. Having it sooner, rather than later.
    4. Having an unlocked one I can use in UK at xmas.

I would really appreciate some help because conversations with sales reps in phone stores are all advising against buying an import and just waiting it out (although these have been conversations with T Mobile, ATT and Verizon - not cheap networks like simple / straight talk). They've all said I will only get 2G speeds if I buy an import (which I hear is true for T Mobile)..

Basically, for someone like me what is the best bet? I hardly use minutes so none of the offers being provided by the big companies really suit me - and they are the ones being offered with new smart phones (and therefore, the kind of deals I'd be offered for using a Galaxy S2 I imagine)

I would really like some kind of prepaid 3 or 4g plan, with up to 5gb net, and maybe 300 mins per month call time for usa. Is there some kind of prepaid plan I could do that with, that is compatible with import S2?

Thanks
    Or should I just wait and get it on one of the US networks.
    Basically
    Well if you want to take advantage of those radio bands that come with the imported s2, you're going to have to go with AT&T. Not sure what plan would be best for you and also not sure which settings need adjusting but money will be saved and you will have your phone fully functional without nasty roaming charges when you go back home for the holidays. If you want the subsidized price here and desire in store/local support along with insurance go with the U.S. version. Whatever is worth more in weight to you.
    07-20-2011 11:46 PM
    hmmm....

so AT&T is definitely full speed for import model? funnily enough, I spoke to the guy at the at and t store and he said they can unlock it for free after purchase, I just call up customer service. is that true? sounds fishy to me. in the uk they charge you loads to do that...

I have an Ipad and the thing is on AT&T, the Internet o sucks. Is it going to be similar to that on galaxy s2 import, or are ipad data plans just limited/ slow on purpose?
    07-21-2011 06:28 PM
    hmmm....

so AT&T is definitely full speed for import model? funnily enough, I spoke to the guy at the at and t store and he said they can unlock it for free after purchase, I just call up customer service. is that true? sounds fishy to me. in the uk they charge you loads to do that...

I have an Ipad and the thing is on AT&T, the Internet o sucks. Is it going to be similar to that on galaxy s2 import, or are ipad data plans just limited/ slow on purpose?
    It's not the plans themselves it's the devices and the signal. As of now Apple is a 7 Mbps company with their devices when using a network signal. The fastest I've ever gotten with the IPhone4 is 4 Mbps down. The Infuse and Galaxy S2 are category 14 devices with theoretical 21mbps down speeds. That all depends on that silly little asterisk they put on their packages. By that I mean advanced backhaul *. AT&T can claim that their whole network is 4g but truth is that they're the only of the big 4 to not give public updates on the mobile sites when they've upgraded 4g network in additional cities. So the only way to know is by testing. Sneaky yes? Anyhow, here's 2 videos of possible speeds you could see (slower or even faster) on the Galaxy S2 whether it's an imported or local version.

and
    07-21-2011 10:07 PM
    Thanks for your comment.

One other query. How do I join AT&T on sim only package? these are very common in UK but cant see it on their site?!

They seem to sell sims but only to preexisting customer!
    07-22-2011 08:24 AM