Is it true? Aug release?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I came across this on the Internet. I'm using my broken old defective Blackberry, so I couldn't copy the link and the text. Decided just to paste what I found. Can anyone confirm this?<Edit> I just found it on wired so it's true! The next 2-4 weeks are going to kill me lol

Samsung has just announced that it would be launching the flagship Android smartphone the Samsung Galaxy S II in the United States next month. Samsung Galaxy S II has been received pretty well wherever it was launched so far. So much so that the company managed to ship 3 million units of the device just in 55 days following the phone?s global launch beating the records of its predecessor, the original Samsung Galaxy S which took 85 days to achieve the same. As far as the U.S consumers are concerned, Galaxy S II is currently available as a carrier-free version (GSM) which would work only with AT&T and T-Mobile. But we all know that the phone will be picked up by at least four different carriers under different names viz. Attain (AT&T), Within (Sprint) and the Function (Verizon Wireless). Not so long ago, we reported the leaked images of what could possibly be the Sprint?s Samsung Galaxy Within, hinting at an imminent release of the phone. And today Shin Jong-kyum, president of Samsung mobile communications, has announced the August roll out of the Samsung Galaxy S II at the launch event of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in South Korea. Samsung Galaxy S II in August and the iPhone 5 in September (possibly), which one would you choose?

Last edited:

eksplosions

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
It's true that he said it, but he implied a general U.S. market release, so it could only be one of the four major carriers in August. I'm certainly hoping it's all of them, or at least Verizon (livin' on an LTE prayer).

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It's true that he said it, but he implied a general U.S. market release, so it could only be one of the four major carriers in August. I'm certainly hoping it's all of them, or at least Verizon (livin' on an LTE prayer).

<sigh>I didn't realize that. The one thing that bothered me whas the obvious ommission of any exact dates. I thought I was seeing the end of the tunnel, but, could we end up waiting another 3 months for when the iPhone 5 is released?

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Well I think it might be the Attain since it's the same radio. But with the butchering that we all expect will happen, who knows. but I think it's pretty dangerous to delay the launch anymore sunce ts getting pretty close to the iPhone 5 if the september-October launch is true.

Kingfrog

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I do;t think anyone with Android experience will go for an iPhone......Android is better on so many levels for those who are gadget junkys and like to tinker. Android OS amazes me everyday and I have an Itouch 4 I rarely use. and had 3GS Iphone for about two weeks before I went back to my Nokia N97.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I think it might be the Attain since it's the same radio. But with the butchering that we all expect will happen, who knows. but I think it's pretty dangerous to delay the launch anymore sunce ts getting pretty close to the iPhone 5 if the september-October launch is true.
In the end, I guess the carriers could make us wait as long as they want. It's so depressing. Then, I did a live chat with AT&T today and asked them if I could use my unlimited data plan for the S2 and Galaxy Tab. They told me no. In fact, they told me that as soon as I upgrade, I won't be grandfathered in. They don't do it anymore. If that's the case, I'll be leaving AT&T and going to Sprint. So, whoever comes out with the S2 first is where I'll go, unless it's AT&T.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
In the end, I guess the carriers could make us wait as long as they want. It's so depressing. Then, I did a live chat with AT&T today and asked them if I could use my unlimited data plan for the S2 and Galaxy Tab. They told me no. In fact, they told me that as soon as I upgrade, I won't be grandfathered in. They don't do it anymore. If that's the case, I'll be leaving AT&T and going to Sprint. So, whoever comes out with the S2 first is where I'll go, unless it's AT&T.

They lied to you. You do get to keep your unlimited plan. Not for the galaxy tab though.

BTW I like your signature.

Kingfrog

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
You won't need a Galaxy tab...the SGS 2 IS a pocket Tab..... Mine is on MediaNet UL data nd I get 1.5 DL which seems to be fast enough for streaming video and/or audio. The phone displays H+ and 3G as well as edge when its connected depending on where I am.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
They lied to you. You do get to keep your unlimited plan. Not for the galaxy tab though.

BTW I like your signature.

The woman told me that they stopped grandfathering people in; that they did it until the end of June. Is she just another misinformed, untrained employee? I so hope you're right.

Thanks re signature. These dogs are so gentle, smart and sweet that I just don't understand how so many can assume they're nasty. Anyway, thanks:)

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You won't need a Galaxy tab...the SGS 2 IS a pocket Tab..... Mine is on MediaNet UL data nd I get 1.5 DL which seems to be fast enough for streaming video and/or audio. The phone displays H+ and 3G as well as edge when its connected depending on where I am.

I hope not. I do a lot of work on the web, so a tab would be nice but, since ATT (I wish I could come up with a better name for them:) won't let me use my unlimited data the way I want to use it, I guess the tab is out. I read about some sneaky things people are doing to bypass this issue, but I prefer a simpler life:) I was thinking about getting a netbook and tethering, but I'll wait to see how it goes with the S2.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks re signature. These dogs are so gentle, smart and sweet that I just don't understand how so many can assume they're nasty. Anyway, thanks:)[/QUOTE]

It's probably all the children and old people they have mauled.

Yes, she was wrong. You will be grandfathered in.

eawortman

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I do;t think anyone with Android experience will go for an iPhone......Android is better on so many levels for those who are gadget junkys and like to tinker. Android OS amazes me everyday and I have an Itouch 4 I rarely use. and had 3GS Iphone for about two weeks before I went back to my Nokia N97.

It's surprising the amount of people that do. I find that it's generally people that bought an Android phone on special or some inexpensive variant, not people that buy high end phones like a SGS2. I find that the Android experience can vary wildly depending on which phone you get thanks to spec and interface differences. The average person like my mom picking up a Blur or Sense based phone will think that is how Android is.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks re signature. These dogs are so gentle, smart and sweet that I just don't understand how so many can assume they're nasty. Anyway, thanks:)

It's probably all the children and old people they have mauled.

Yes, she was wrong. You will be grandfathered in.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, there are a lot of mistakes when it comes to reporting breed specific attacks. There have been many cases where the press reported a pit bull attack and animal regulation came in later to correctly identify the dog. We never hear the press make that correction though, do we? The other problem is, when anyone sees a dog that looks like what they think a pit bull is, they call him a pit bull, but most people don't even know what a pit bull is. Statistically, according to the CDC and Humane Society, there are no less than 25 breeds and mixes of dogs responsible for fatal dog attacks. What's happened is, any time a dog resembles a Staffordshire Terrier, they label him as a Pit Bull "Type". and the next thing you know, everyone is saying mutts that look similar to Staffies, Boxer mixes, English Bull Terriers, Great Dane mixes, any kind of bull terrier no matter the breed, are all pit bulls. It's like calling a Doberman Pincer a Greyhound because they have greyhound in them. Not one fatal attack has been attributed to Staffordshire Terriers. They're an AKC registered breed. They simply don't deserve the label. They are gentle and sweet. It's not the dogs. It's the scum who abuse them.

Okay, now I'm going to get into trouble for going WAY off track here. <---begging mods for forgiveness>

You know I called AT&T directly this time and just told them I wanted to upgrade. Okay, I lied. They did say great and that I could keep my unlimited data. You were right! The other CS rep was either lying or didn't know what she was talking about. Thanks for reassuring me about this. I kind of freaked out a little when she said I'd lose it. They just keep making things harder and harder for everyone.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly, the S2 is now on Samsung US website. The link to learn more is dead though.

Galaxy S2

<sigh> it goes to the Samsung Function, not the Attain. I have a business associate who spends a lot of time in the UK. His company buys all their phones there even though they're based in the US. Apparently, it's easier for them to fully utilize the phones when they don't purchase them through carriers here. I'm so close to buying unlocked and off contract.....

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
<sigh> it goes to the Samsung Function, not the Attain. I have a business associate who spends a lot of time in the UK. His company buys all their phones there even though they're based in the US. Apparently, it's easier for them to fully utilize the phones when they don't purchase them through carriers here. I'm so close to buying unlocked and off contract.....

I think you're getting Samsung's search URL confused. Me thinks they use function in the whole "search is a function of the site " sense, not that function shows up in the results list. When you click the link in the search results page, it says page not found.

There's still hope :p

jemcmichael

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I think you're getting Samsung's search URL confused. Me thinks they use function in the whole "search is a function of the site " sense, not that function shows up in the results list. When you click the link in the search results page, it says page not found.

Exactly, if you search Droid Charge (or any other phone) you get the "function" in the URL.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Hurray! I thought it was the address of the page in the directory, but then I realized Samsung doesn't show features for each carrier. They just show the phone. I'm still disappointed at the lack of information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz