Vlingo vs Google Voice Actions

skeeve

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Can you replace vlingo with google voice search for the double-tap home shortcut?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

tjmobile

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey there. I work at Vlingo and noticed your question. Any reason in particular you want to replace the Vlingo double-tap option? We created a lot of custom functionality for Samsung that you cannot get with the Google Voice Search functionality. Our hope was that you would get a lot more utility out of it than simple voice search.

Anything in particular you're having trouble doing?

JakeJAMR

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
@tjmobile... or anyone else that knows the answers...

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab WiFi only. When I go to the Market, it does not list Vlingo. If I search for it, it does not find it, but if I find a back way to get to it's download page, the DOWNLOAD button is gone... WHY? Because it has been flagged as incompatible for my device... again... WHY?

I've found several apps that the Market has flagged as incompatible for my device, so the Market does not list them for me when I visit with that device/account... but when I find a way to get the app another way... it installs and works fine on my device... What's up with that???

If I download the app from the Vlingo site, move it to my Galaxy Tab and install it... will it work OK?

Also know that I have my Galaxy Tab rigged up to use as a phone via Google Voice, Skype, etc., with a phone number assigned to the device. But Google Voice is another one of these apps that don't show up because they are supposedly incompatible with my device... there's no reason they should be incompatible??? From my desktop computer, I can browse to my Google Voice page, click the call button and make a call... if I browse to that same page with my Galaxy Tab, I get redirected to the Market that immediately tells me it's not compatible with my device... again... there is no reason for this, I should be able to at least use the Galaxy Tab to browse to the site and press the dang button!! It's starting to make me regret I picked the Galaxy Tab.

pfgrillet

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey there. I work at Vlingo and noticed your question. Any reason in particular you want to replace the Vlingo double-tap option? We created a lot of custom functionality for Samsung that you cannot get with the Google Voice Search functionality. Our hope was that you would get a lot more utility out of it than simple voice search.

Anything in particular you're having trouble doing?
@tjmobile,
Newbie: I've had a Samsung Galaxy S2 for 1 week | android 2.3.3 | Telstra (Australia).
When I discovered the google Voice Search command it was love at first sight.
Then somehow Vlingo popped up, I accepted the terms and conditions, and now I can't remove it, or at least replace it back with google as the voice input software.
The reasons I prefer google to Vlingo is primarily speed (google is 2-3 times faster); speed is very important, because if it takes much longer to speak than to type, then the tool loses a lot of its relevance (other than when driving).Secondly, the accuracy (ability to identify what is said) is also much worse than with google. This makes a compelling case for preferring Google to Vlingo (at least for me).

I appreciate the thought to add more utility to the tool, but the foundation must be right - if the basic feature do not meet customers expectations (mine at least), I will not even come to a point where I can appreciate the other stuff.

I have been unable so far to remove Vlingo and replace it by google.

I've tried:
- settings/manage apps/Vlingo: all I can do is stop it
- settings/voice input and output/voice recognition: select google (this unselects Vlingo) -
- drag and drop vlingo to the garbage bin
- restart the phone
but whenever I press the microphone icon in the keyboard, it always re-launches Vlingo

help please!

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
-

Well, I must say, I've been trying Vlingo (in-car Bluetooth use only) and it leaves a LOT to be desired. I have my phone (Galaxy S II Skyrocket) mounted in a Cadillac DeVille, which is a very quiet car, and Vlingo still is full of errors. I could not recommend this to anyone looking for true 'hands free' in-car cell phone use. Vlingo cannot get even the most basic instructions correct. For instance if I say "dial" or "call" and then announce (very clearly) seven digits, Vlingo has not once correctly completed this most basic task. Very annoying and disappointing.

OH btw, I speak very clear English, no accent at all. Is there some way to "train" Vlingo??????

The only good news is that Vlingo was just purchased by Nuance, and I'm hoping that Nuance can fix Vlingo so that it is functional for car use.

-