SGS2 or New Blackberries?

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I really want to get a new phone and I'm having a hard time picking between the new blackberry bold 9900/Touch or Samsung 9860. I am a faithful BB user but the SGS2 caught my eye.

Here's what I use my phone primarily for: Texting, Calling sometimes, Facebook/twitter, Camera... Looking up things on the web. I only talk to one person on BBM that's it really. As for email.. Nice feauture but its not important at all since I'm just a 17 year old I never get important emails. (I go on my computer a lot too.)

Im worried if I switch to the SGS2 the battery life won't get me through a day? Is it right for me? I really can't decide... And the new Blackberries are being priced like the SGS2 but I'm not sure that the Berries worth it. What would you go with and why? Oh and I'm also worried that the SGS2 might be buggy and crap out or something like that. What if I dropped it by accident.. :/

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Blackberrys are great devices, until you try something else. I really liked my old school Curve back in the day, but then I moved on to iOS and Android devices and it made me wonder how I put up with BB for so long.

The only thing I missed was BBM. But there's so much more you gain, and RIM just seems more and more like a sinking ship. I recommend going to the Samsung, or any other Android device.

Reactions: milominderbinde

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
You didn't really tell me any reasons why. And I don't see rim as a sinking ship because they seem to be getting better... Slowly even though they aren't being innovative

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Battery life on the BB is likely to be better as that is one area that they have figured out quite well. As for the concern about dropping it or anything like that, that is what the insurance is for.

Me personally I am planning on going with the GSII. My main reasoning is that with me being a big baseball fan, I have the full At Bat 11 app and can watch the games on my phone when I am away from the house, with a Blackberry all I can do is listen to the audio.

Best bet is when the devices are both out, go to a Corporate store in your area (if there is one) and check them both out. See which one you seem to like best and look at online reviews about each device.

unity04

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully I'm not too late to post my input on your decision.

I purchased my Galaxy S II a few weeks ago here in Canada and I've owned the BlackBerry Torch, Bold 9700, 9780, iPhone 4 and HTC Sensation (for a day before returning it). The Galaxy S II blows every phone I've ever used out of the park, and that includes the demo phones of the new BlackBerry's I've tried. For starters, the BlackBerry's that just came out aren't cutting edge as say the Galaxy S II, and the specs that the new Berry's have will be out dated in a few months- actually, they're already outdated compared to the dual core devices out now like the Galaxy S II. The only good thing about the new Berry's is that you have BBM and a keyboard. That's it. The virtual keyboard on the Galaxy S II has to be the best keyboard I've ever used on a touch screen, much better than the iPhone 4's keyboard (and I used to think the iPhone 4 has the best keyboard). BBM is the only pro the new Berry's have over Galaxy S II, since the Galaxy S II can pull your new e-mails every 5 minutes opposed to 15 minutes on other Android devices (Samsung improved the push time, very nice feature). The camera on the Galaxy S II blows away any BlackBerry camera, it has an 8MP camera while the Berry's have 5MP, and has 1080p HD recording when the Berry's have only 720p HD recording.

On the Galaxy S II you get a beautiful screen- 4.3" Super AMOLED+... MUCH better than the Berry's in every way possible. Better resolution, brighter, better looking colours, more room to browse web pages and multimedia... beautiful. Also, I forget to mention above that the Galaxy S II has a front facing camera (2MP) and the new Berry's have none. The app market on the BlackBerry phones is limited and over priced. You won't get many apps on the Berrys, but the Android market is FILLED with amazing apps, cheap priced, and free. With Berry's you have a constant appearance and theme that you can barely customize, and on the Galaxy S II your options are endless. You can customize everything and anything you want.

On the Galaxy S II you can sync your contacts to your Facebook and other social media accounts. When a contact calls you that you have synced to your Facebook, it shows their latest status post, and their picture. By simply clicking on a contact from your address book that is synced, you can view all their social networking latest activity and post on their accounts. Berry doesn't allow you to do so.

The Galaxy S II is the thinnest and most powerful device on the market. The GSII has 1GB RAM while the Berry has 768MB, and the GSII has a 1.2GHz dual core processor... essentially two processors of 1.2GHz. The Berry's only have a single core 1.2GHz processor.

The Galaxy S II has the fastest web browser on any phone, and destroys anything that trys to compare against it. The Galaxy S II is able to run flash in web pages, the BlackBerry devices can not.

The Galaxy S II has a native YouTube application, the BlackBerry's do not (redirect you to the mobile online website).

The Galaxy S II is able to handle pretty much anything you throw at it. I have my old Super Nintendo, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance and N64 games on my phone that I play whenever I want. Berry's can not handle such tasks.

On the Galaxy S II you can install apps to replace stock ones. Say you don't like the look of the original music player the phone came with- you can instantly download one from the market that you like better. You can customize the lockscreen so you can jump directly into applications such as your camera (big feature on iOS5), alarm, contacts, internet, etc.

The Galaxy S II blows the Berry out of the water in every possible way. The screen is bigger and has a much better resolution. The phone is LOUD when watching movies and listening to music. The camera on the GSII destroys the Berry (no auto focus). Front facing camera on the GSII, Berry has none. The internal specs make the GSII run like a beast, much faster than the Berry. The only thing you'd be buying your Berry for is for BBM. That's it. Multimedia purposes, web browsing purposes, recording purposes, application pursposes and speed purposes- Galaxy S II > any new BlackBerry, HANDS DOWN.

Hope this helped. :)

Reactions: Broheemster

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
After Unity04's post, I think I'm going to get a berry.......lol......I kid!! I'm patiently awaiting the SGS2 on Sprint. I believe it will be called the "Within" or "Epic Touch 4G". I'm in love with AMOLED screens! :)

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Blackberrys are great devices, until you try something else...
The SGS2 has about three times the normal battery life because it is an LED (SAMOLED+) display not an LCD display. It has been out since April with rave reviews by everyone. It had already sold 5 million units as of a month ago.

Still this cartoon is really true.

attachment.php

Android users are always confused when a BlackBerry user isn't an old white guy in loafers.

Seriously, take a look at the Phone Comparison and the Android Getting Started.

RIM has lost much of their value in the past year and some analysts think they will continue down until someone, maybe Google, buys them just to get their patents and sells off the other assets. It is just one awful RIM headline after another.

But try all the phones and get whatever you like. Even if RIM went under, there will still be people selling them on eBay forever.

Last edited:

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Nothing beats a blackberry for battery life. However, nothing beats a Samsung display-- although Apple comes close with their retina display they lose a point for refusing to make it over 3.5 inches. You can expect to charge your phone every night with an Android. If that does't bother you, you should definately give it a test drive. You have 30 days to return it if you don't like it with most carriers (with maybe some stocking fee thrown in unless you pick it up at Best Buy or something). There is a slight learning curve with Android so give it more than a few days. Just don't break it before your 30 day trial is up! LOL!

I'm having the same dilema. I am due for an upgrade and there are at least 3 phones I want. I want the SGS2, the BlackBerry Torch 2 and the iPhone 5. I had the Torch 1 but coming from an iPhone I found it too laggy so I returned it. I loved the form factor, the notification light, physical keyboard, and even OS6. I think the new Torch with its faster processor and increased screen resolution has real potential! Right now I'm switching back and forth between the iPhone 4 and the Samsung Captivate.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you choose!

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
To me, the biggest thing that BlackBerry has over the GSII (or any Android device for that matter) is email. Nothing beats BlackBerry for email. And since that's not highly important to you, that pretty much leaves everything else pointing to the GSII, with the possible exception of battery life. However, from reports of current GSII users, the battery life appears to be pretty good. So, that may not even be an issue either.

Kilted_One

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Hiya I've just got an SG II, I'm a long time BB user had a storm 2 until now

I found Battery on BB crap tbh and the MarketPlace and apps are a bit of a drag still

zaki67

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Do not be so sure about the battery life in the new blackberry I have a friend who got one and is having an average of seven hours battery life.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ihotshot

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've just left the blackberry world, had a 9700 bold. Just renewed contract and didnt go for 9900. I wanted something more exciting. I saw the Galaxy s2 a while ago and had the urge to research it more. Since getting the S2 i havent regretted it at all, amazing video and camera, easy to use system and more customizable than the BB. I have what's app for my bb contacts but hopefully soon we could see the BBM platform on other phones for a small cost.

The battery doesnt last as long as the blackberry, well thats only because the blackberry has less to play with. Its a business phone!

I have an iphone 3gs for work and every time i pick up the phone, its so small! compared to the galaxy s2.

I was deciding between Galaxy s2 / Bold 990 / HTC Sensation (bad battery life)
What made my final desicion? read the reviews of the phone.

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I like how original poster was quick to make a post the next day with nothing but question marks when there wasn't a full explanation laid out yet here it is a month later and no reply back for the rest of the efforts, especially unity's around the back AND over the top ;). sigh n headshake

whiplash473

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
BB is gonna give you better battery life cuz the OS is simpler..crap screen, etc.....if you wanna simple phone that does what a phone does plus a few extras then go with the BB..if you want a nice phone that's gonna do everything plus have a super nice screen with a killer camera and everything else then go with the SGS2.....for me its a no brainer but not for all.....and like dude said before - BB is nice and seems like the king's nuts with two things in mind - 1) you're back 5yrs 2) if you haven't tried anything else.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek