Subtitles for videos

Mister Epic

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I can rip DVDs and Blu-Ray discs into various formats, and I'd like to rip a Blu-Ray movie for my Samsung Galaxy S II, using its stock video player.

I tried with AVI and MKV. Both of them work perfectly when it comes to playback. But my problem is about the subtitles.

I've ripped my movie using its original English audio track. Then, I've downloaded English and French SRT subtitles. I've tried to put the SRT files alongside the AVI/MKV file, and I can't select a subtitle. I've also tried to embed the SRTs into the MKV file, and while the process worked and the video can be played, I still can't select a subtitle.

How can I make sure I can enable and disable subtitles with a possibility to switch between two different subtitles set?

You can suggest me any kind of solution that isn't installing a third party video player. Unless the later is absolutely necessary.

maggievideo

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My solution may not be your preferred.
but it is a valid one.
I download mvideopalyer from Android Market. It supports srt subtitles perfectly.
Like you, I found SRT subtitles and then put this srt file with the video file into one folder.
Please make sure that srt file and video file have the exact same name.
And when you play video file, the subtitles will be shown auto.

gsainath4u

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
My solution may not be your preferred.
Like you, I found SRT subtitles and then put this srt file with the video file into one folder.
Please make sure that srt file and video file have the exact same name.
And when you play video file, the subtitles will be shown auto.

I have found that the stock Video Player playes both AVI/MKV along with subtitles perfectly fine.
If you put the same name as the video, for the subtitle file, the player automatically picks it up.
That said, I dont know of any way to make the player pick a different subtitle file.

A quick hack or workaround would be to name the currently needed subtitle as the video.
For ex. lets say the video is named 'movie1.avi' and the subtitles 'movie1.en.srt' and 'movie1.fr.srt'.
When you want to use the english subtiles, just remove the '.en' portion in the filename,
and make it same as the video filename.
Now when you want the french subs, rename the current subtitle file to original one ( '.en.srt') and rename the french subtitle as the same as the video filename. Voila, the player should play the french subtitles now.
But keep in mind, you may have to restart the player to change which subtitle file to play.

I always had only english subtitles, so I haven't tried with any other language subs.

FireAndroid

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I have found that the stock Video Player playes both AVI/MKV along with subtitles perfectly fine.
If you put the same name as the video, for the subtitle file, the player automatically picks it up.
That said, I dont know of any way to make the player pick a different subtitle file.

A quick hack or workaround would be to name the currently needed subtitle as the video.
For ex. lets say the video is named 'movie1.avi' and the subtitles 'movie1.en.srt' and 'movie1.fr.srt'.
When you want to use the english subtiles, just remove the '.en' portion in the filename,
and make it same as the video filename.
Now when you want the french subs, rename the current subtitle file to original one ( '.en.srt') and rename the french subtitle as the same as the video filename. Voila, the player should play the french subtitles now.
But keep in mind, you may have to restart the player to change which subtitle file to play.

I always had only english subtitles, so I haven't tried with any other language subs.

My anime mkv files already have subtitles embedded in the mkv file, but the stock video player does not allow me to chose the subtitles (it is grayed out). Is there anyway to get it to work? If not I will just try to find the subtitles and then name them the same as recommended above. Thank you.

FireAndroid

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
My anime mkv files already have subtitles embedded in the mkv file, but the stock video player does not allow me to chose the subtitles (it is grayed out). Is there anyway to get it to work? If not I will just try to find the subtitles and then name them the same as recommended above. Thank you.

Hopefully the stock player will be updated sometime to support embedded subs in mkv files, but until then I just tried mvideoplayer and it supports embedded subs.

gsainath4u

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah.. I forgot about the embedded subtitles :(.
Also, as I mentioned, I always looked for english subs only, which was the default in majority of the cases. So even if it was embedded, it showed up fine.

Hopefully the stock player will be updated sometime to support embedded subs in mkv files, but until then I just tried mvideoplayer and it supports embedded subs.
I am not sure of mvideoplayer, but I have heard good reviews about the Mobo Player. Give this a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49