Rooting...

Empathy

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of those rare people who probably didn't root their sexy samsung galaxy s2. (European version)
(Already Over-Impressed what it can do without rooting).

I'm just wondering what happens when you root your device by explaining me by ;

Advantages And disadvantages,

Cheers, :]

Broheemster

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Well I am also one of those people that choose not to root but have tinkered with phones that have been. I think anybody who has rooted can tell you that since you said you're over- impressed with the phones can-do's you may as well just go with the out of the box experience.

Rooting can :
- install custom roms and operating systems to improve functions and features but you'll have to manually keep up with all the pieces of your root including updates (no more over the air)
-Can free yourself from the binds of your carrier but can void warranty if something goes wrong and you can't get it back to original
-Can install different versions of Android for specific features but device specs with certain versions can cause undesirable affects
-Have more control over your phone than ever but could end up spending too much time messing with your phone/computer than it might be worth
-Can overclock your device to increase speed and performance but run the risk of overheating your phone and increasing battery consumption

Bricking the phone is probably the worst case in which your phone becomes inoperable.

I'm sure there are more pros and cons but I haven't researched any farther than these details as I find the cons outweigh the pros for me. This phone is already a Ferrari so i dont have any desire to dig into the fuel management system and other computer features :) If you are still interested go to the rooting/hacking section here at AC, you'll find all the info you need to know. Hope this helped some

Reactions: Empathy

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The Android Central editors have said this on multiple occasions. If you need someone to tell you why you need to root, then you don't need to root.

Everyone has their own set of reasons for rooting. My own personal set are as follows:

-Use of Market Enabler. Some apps are region specific (for whatever reason). Using Market Enabler gives me access to all apps across all regions.
-Freeze/Uninstall apps/processes that are not relevant to me.
-Custom ROMs, of course.
-Various mods (eg, get rid the camera sounds, replace the battery icon with one that also indicates the level in percentage, etc)

To the best of my knowledge, here are the downsides to rooting.

- You lose official OTA updates from the manufacturer/carrier. But if you're on a custom ROM, this isn't relevant since you're already ahead of the pack.
- You risk bricking your phone. The risk of this happening is overstated. It's just not that easy to brick your phone by rooting. I would bet that more ppl brick their phones by dropping it or getting it wet than by rooting.
- You lose warranty. But if you're the type of person who roots, warranties are not relevant to you.

If you do decide to take the plunge, be warned that there's a lot of reading involved. And a lot of jargon.

Reactions: Empathy

Empathy

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, Rooting is quite scary isn't it.?

Btw, What is ROM's? I hear it alot, But since I'm new to Android, I know nothing about it.
Can anyone explain?

SparksLTD

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I always root my devices. To be honest though to the average person this would be pointless.

Search on the market that requires root. If you find none that interest you then rooting is of no use to you.

SparksLTD

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, Rooting is quite scary isn't it.?

Btw, What is ROM's? I hear it alot, But since I'm new to Android, I know nothing about it.
Can anyone explain?

Roms are basically the software on your phone. The current rom on your phone is the stock rom/firmware. You can download custom roms and flash them using Odin. Have a look at xda developers and you will find out more. Another good one is cyanogenmod.

Be careful with flashing roms. Only flash a rom if you are confident. You could give yourself a big headache if you don't know what your doing. Best thing is to read up on it a lot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000