Hey folks,

I've got an unlocked and possibly rooted SGS2 which I picked up at Pacific Mall (for any of you from the Toronto area)... I asked the shop and they said the phone is "factory unlocked", but I assume that just means they've gotten it unlocked of course. I forgot to ask if the phone is rooted, and I'm not sure which carrier the phone originally belonged with.

When looking at my "About Phone" info, I see the following:

Android 2.3.3
    Baseband: I9100XXKF1
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF3-CL276555 root@DELL101 #2
    Build: GINGERBREAD.XWKF3

Now I'm assuming since I see that "root@DELL101" part, the phone is rooted, but I downloaded a rootchecker app and it says the phone is NOT rooted, but that "BusyBox" (??) is installed.

The short question to all this is, I want to upgrade to Android 2.3.4 or 2.3.5 if possible, I don't really care for root access as I don't plan on messing with the phone -- but I want to keep my unlock and take advantage of the fixes/new features 2.3.4+ offer. Can I simply update the phone through Samsung/Android's proper method or do I have to do something specific?

My understanding from some of the searches I've done is that I won't lose my unlock, but I'm not sure if updating the phone will screw something up if I am indeed rooted/with custom firmware.

Appreciate your help!
    10-12-2011 11:28 AM
    Busybox can be installed separate from root so that doesn't mean anything. If you don't have Superuser, you don't have root. You root checker is right.
    10-18-2011 10:19 AM
    Busybox can be installed separate from root so that doesn't mean anything. If you don't have Superuser, you don't have root. You root checker is right.
    Thanks, good to know -- that said, I don't see any specific apps or settings etc anywhere on my phone relating to BusyBox. Are they usually hidden or something? From what I understand, BusyBox is a set of Linux/Unix-based utilities (I assume things like telnet, ssh etc??) and I figured I'd see such apps available somewhere if it's indeed installed..

Haven't yet looked any further into updating the phone, but I read 2.3.4+ fix a battery drain bug. With moderate use I typically need to recharge my phone every day, though I've stretched it to 1.5 before.. so I'm not sure if I'm even affected by this bug.
    10-22-2011 12:49 PM
    i have gs2 unlocked too, and i update it to ice cream 4.0 then would my phone b locked?
    01-17-2012 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD