Touch Screen or Digitizer drivers corrupted?

pseudonim

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's the scoop:

After successfully installing CM 7.1 on my SGS2, I started to do the same on my girlfriend's. The procedure was as follows:

1) The phone was already rooted so I booted into CWM Recovery 5.0.2.3
2) I wiped data/factory reset, cache and dalvik cache
3) I installed the CM 7.1 ROM from the SD card. Everyone is aware of the bug in the CM 7.1 installation so I installed the CM 7.1 ROM again without rebooting as required. There were no errors during the installation.
4) I then rebooted the phone through CWM and it booted to Android OS just fine.

However the big problem is that my touch screen does not accept any input. A few seconds after Android OS starts up, the screen seems to dim and no matter where I tap my finger, my taps are not recognized. The soft buttons (menu, back) and the hard buttons (home, volume up/down, power) all work fine. In fact, they even bring up events in Android OS (eg. holding the menu key brings up a key board, volume key turns up/down the ringer volume). However, the touch screen or digitizer just are not working. Obviously rebooting the phone does not help. I also tried booting back into CWM Recovery and installing the Google Apps. When the phone restarts it asks me to "Touch the Android to begin" but again it does not register any input.

Through ODIN I tried to go back to two stock roms (XXKH3 and XXKI3) but those did not fixed the problem either. Obviously, these were flashed through Odin and prior to flashing them I cleared the data/cache/dalvik through CWM Recovery before hand. I also tried two nightly versions of CM 7.1 (115 & 116) as well as Litening ROM 6.1 and Villain Rom 3.0 but those did not help either.

My feeling is that this is not a hardware problem, rather a corrupted driver through one of the ROM installation processed. While I am fairly well versed when it comes to problem solving technology issues, I am not familiar with the Android OS structure to go any further. For example, are the drivers for the touch screen and digitizer embedded in each ROM or on a secure portion of the physical phone?

Please let me know if you have been in a similar situation or whether you can pass along any tips that I should try. Again, my girlfriend's phone was working perfectly before the ROM upgrades. And I know my upgrade process was correct as my phone that I upgraded just an hour earlier is running CM 7.1 very well.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

mredfern79

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Here's the scoop:

After successfully installing CM 7.1 on my SGS2, I started to do the same on my girlfriend's. The procedure was as follows:

1) The phone was already rooted so I booted into CWM Recovery 5.0.2.3
2) I wiped data/factory reset, cache and dalvik cache
3) I installed the CM 7.1 ROM from the SD card. Everyone is aware of the bug in the CM 7.1 installation so I installed the CM 7.1 ROM again without rebooting as required. There were no errors during the installation.
4) I then rebooted the phone through CWM and it booted to Android OS just fine.

However the big problem is that my touch screen does not accept any input. A few seconds after Android OS starts up, the screen seems to dim and no matter where I tap my finger, my taps are not recognized. The soft buttons (menu, back) and the hard buttons (home, volume up/down, power) all work fine. In fact, they even bring up events in Android OS (eg. holding the menu key brings up a key board, volume key turns up/down the ringer volume). However, the touch screen or digitizer just are not working. Obviously rebooting the phone does not help. I also tried booting back into CWM Recovery and installing the Google Apps. When the phone restarts it asks me to "Touch the Android to begin" but again it does not register any input.

Through ODIN I tried to go back to two stock roms (XXKH3 and XXKI3) but those did not fixed the problem either. Obviously, these were flashed through Odin and prior to flashing them I cleared the data/cache/dalvik through CWM Recovery before hand. I also tried two nightly versions of CM 7.1 (115 & 116) as well as Litening ROM 6.1 and Villain Rom 3.0 but those did not help either.

My feeling is that this is not a hardware problem, rather a corrupted driver through one of the ROM installation processed. While I am fairly well versed when it comes to problem solving technology issues, I am not familiar with the Android OS structure to go any further. For example, are the drivers for the touch screen and digitizer embedded in each ROM or on a secure portion of the physical phone?

Please let me know if you have been in a similar situation or whether you can pass along any tips that I should try. Again, my girlfriend's phone was working perfectly before the ROM upgrades. And I know my upgrade process was correct as my phone that I upgraded just an hour earlier is running CM 7.1 very well.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

The drivers are part of the kernel.

Are you using the latest nightly, stable version or the kang posted on xda by @codeworkx?
I ask because the stable versions does not have as many bugs fixed as the last nightly 116, i think. So you might do better trying this.

Codeworkx posted the last "nightly build" yesterday which contained the latest fixes/improvements that weren't added since the build bot went down. I would suggest trying this out.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

pseudonim

May 21, 2011
Visit site
The drivers are part of the kernel.

Are you using the latest nightly, stable version or the kang posted on xda by @codeworkx?
I ask because the stable versions does not have as many bugs fixed as the last nightly 116, i think. So you might do better trying this.

Codeworkx posted the last "nightly build" yesterday which contained the latest fixes/improvements that weren't added since the build bot went down. I would suggest trying this out.

This morning I tried the latest nightly build from @codeworkx. The same problem occurred - I could not use the touchscreen at all. Boots into Android perfectly, but does not allow any touch input including unlocking the screen once it times out. While the phone is booting (which is incredibly fast and great), during the CM logo, the screen dims which I think is the first clue that either a power saving setting is kicking in or it is shutting down. I can make it bright again by hitting the home key or one of the haptic keys which all work great.

What are some next steps I can try? I don't think is a hardware problem because I can't think that it would creep up so co-incidentally at the point where I was upgrading the phone (which I have done many times successfully before). Is there a log or something that I can post or review about the start up process to let me know which processes were successfully stated and which ones failed to start?

Thanks again.

c_86

HaXoR Master
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
try loading a new kernel and see if that helps? as all the drivers and such are in the kernel, try loading a diff kernel then what comes with CM7 and see if that does anything... other then that, maybe try doing a hard reset? idk. other then the kernel idk what else to suggest

mredfern79

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
This morning I tried the latest nightly build from @codeworkx. The same problem occurred - I could not use the touchscreen at all. Boots into Android perfectly, but does not allow any touch input including unlocking the screen once it times out. While the phone is booting (which is incredibly fast and great), during the CM logo, the screen dims which I think is the first clue that either a power saving setting is kicking in or it is shutting down. I can make it bright again by hitting the home key or one of the haptic keys which all work great.

What are some next steps I can try? I don't think is a hardware problem because I can't think that it would creep up so co-incidentally at the point where I was upgrading the phone (which I have done many times successfully before). Is there a log or something that I can post or review about the start up process to let me know which processes were successfully stated and which ones failed to start?

Thanks again.

This seems strange, I've not known anyone have a problem with the touchscreen using cm7. Which version of the galaxy s2 are you using?

If it were me I would flash a stock rom to be sure it's not a hardware fault.

You could try another kernel as suggested. I suggest siyah kernel you'll find the thread on galaxy s2 forum on xda.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad