samsung galaxy s2 i777 att phone

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Can I use my pay as you go 3g sim with data, in a unlocked samsung galaxy s2 i777?

Will data work and all other phones features work? Anyone tried to do this on this phone?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Cattledog,
Do you have data on your sim? Does the gs2 data work?
I was told by att that the data wouldn't work.

I currently have a att 3g phone using pay as you go, I have data and do check Email. etc
I am looking at a att unlocked gs2 i777 on Amazon.
Just wanting to be sure all the features will work before spending all the $$$.

Are you using att?

cattledog

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I have data with no issue. But know that 3G on gophone is throttled. You will need to setup a new apn on the phone to use the 3G servers, the phone comes set for the 4G servers.

I buy the $100 cards then convert $25 from the $100 to data and roll the data over by $5 every 29 days. If you do the $50/month unlimited the GS2 is not covered by that plan.

Walmart had the best price around. $520 out the door unactivated with a 15 day return policy. Called AT&T and asked for the unlock code. They were happy to give me the code for free.

Reactions: nonie

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks Cattledog,

That sounds like basically what I'm doing now on att using my samsung mythic.always add to roll over what I have in data and tx mgs.

I am looking at gs2 i777 unlocked on amazon. would not have to call att to unlock, right?

What setting would I need to set it to? If you don't mind telling me.

cattledog

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
No idea on the unlock issue with the amazon phone. I would not use amazon for the purchase. Be sure you are really buying a AT&T not t-mobile SGS2 phone, they are not the same. There are many varations of the SGS2 on the market. I know the phone id numbers are the same, sgh-i777 for either carrier. Walmart is easy in this case, great price and you know exactly what you are buying and it's new, not a referb or used and unlocked.

The apn setup is a bit longer to type out. Do a search for the 3g AT&T service. It's on this website and others. Let me know if you can't search it out.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks, Cattledog.
I will check Walmart. So i can just buy from them, outright, they won't need to do anything to it, to activate it or anything? For me to use my own sim?
After getting unlock code from att, how do i know where to enter the code? Is there a place in menu?

Here is what I found. [FIX] AT&T SGS2 Data Speed Issue's (Correct APN Settings) - xda-developers
If you don't mind and have a minute, would you see if this is the settings your talking about?

Sorry to ask so many questions, just never done anything like this and want to be sure I know what/how to do it.
They told me at att, couldn't use this phone with pay as you go, said everything would work, but not the data.

Thanks, again. Sure want this phone and for it to work with my pay as you go. Glad you are doing it. Gives me hope. Lol

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
called att and asked for unlock code, they had no idea what i was talking about, said they didn't have any unlock code.

cattledog

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I will look for the 3g apn settings thread. The one you posted did not work for me.

On the unlock code be sure to tell ATT that you bought the phone outrigh,t they may ask/demand a copy of the sales reciept. Your issues may be more of a ATT person to ATT person issue on the unlock code. I have the unlock code for my phone but have no need to unlock it from att currently because I am using ATT service (gophone). You will need a nonatt sim card to unlock it from my understanding.

Walmart does not, should not touch the phone.

Are you sure your sim card is unlocked? ATT does lock the newer gophone simcards to the current phone that it was sold with, If not again call ATT and have them unlock the sim. If done correctly you will get a message on the phone that the sim is unlocked.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I will check out this thread.

Actually, I have been using pay as you go for a long time. I have use it in several different phones.
So I guess it is unlocked. I'm not sure why i thought I had to buy or have phone unlocked.

So if I buy a att phone, my sim should work, right? Then change apn setting and my data will work?

I'm going to walmart tomorrow and see if they have one and make sure I can return it if I can't get it to work.
I will be mostly be using wifi, but occasionally want data when I'm away from home.

buttonstc

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
@cattledog

My contract with ATT is up and rather than change carriers altogether, I'm curious if whether a pay as you go situation only works with certain android phones or is this also a possibility for iPhone?

Since you also use ATT and are pretty experienced with their policies, I figured I'd just ask if iPhone is at all a possibility and if so pursue it further in a separate Q so as not to derai
This thread.

I'm so hoping its a possibility but wouldn't necessarily expect anyone with the company to be so eager to fork over the specifics since they're so geared to locking as many as poss. into long term contracts but since you're experienced with pay as you go, it couldn't hurt to ask :)

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Cattledog, got the phone today. So far so good. Lol

To set the apn, do I edit apn. Then fill in info? As it is now it won't let me click on anything to change them.when I get the right setting and have wifi off, then the data will work automatic?

Thanks for all your help and patience, answering my questions.

Last edited:

cattledog

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Cattledog, got the phone today. So far so good. Lol

To set the apn, do I edit apn. Then fill in info? As it is now it won't let me click on anything to change them.when I get the right setting and have wifi off, then the data will work automatic?

Thanks for all your help and patience, answering my questions.

Create the new apn, then add the the new apn setting to a new apn. Select the new apn as defalt.

I am not sure if the phone will auto push to wifi if avalible. I use a widgit from android market to control my cell data (3G) service. Search 3G switch in android market, download and turn on when needed. Just remember many of the services use 3G service such as AGPS and google talk as examples.
You may need to add the ATT data code and account balance code to view how mutch data or money you have left. Just add those nummbers to your contacts.

cattledog

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Add a new apn, edit the settings and set as the defalt apn. Not sure on the wifi push from 3G service. Download a 3G on off switch from android market. You will be able to better control your data usage.

Be aware some services need 3G service such as AGPS. Good luck! Don't worry about the questions just happy to help out and save others money.

cattledog

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
@cattledog

My contract with ATT is up and rather than change carriers altogether, I'm curious if whether a pay as you go situation only works with certain android phones or is this also a possibility for iPhone?

Since you also use ATT and are pretty experienced with their policies, I figured I'd just ask if iPhone is at all a possibility and if so pursue it further in a separate Q so as not to derai
This thread.

I'm so hoping its a possibility but wouldn't necessarily expect anyone with the company to be so eager to fork over the specifics since they're so geared to locking as many as poss. into long term contracts but since you're experienced with pay as you go, it couldn't hurt to ask :)

Iphones will not work on gophone.
ATT will see your IMEI number and in a short time ax your plan/data. There are better forums for iphone questions. My wife has a 4S it's a nice phone but apple wants to keep control of your data, such as location. Apple is keeping the iphones from gophone/prepaid service from my understanding.

cattledog

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I will check out this thread.

Actually, I have been using pay as you go for a long time. I have use it in several different phones.
So I guess it is unlocked. I'm not sure why i thought I had to buy or have phone unlocked.

So if I buy a att phone, my sim should work, right? Then change apn setting and my data will work?

I'm going to walmart tomorrow and see if they have one and make sure I can return it if I can't get it to work.
I will be mostly be using wifi, but occasionally want data when I'm away from home.

I have the same situation. I have an old gophone sim (cingular).

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Create the new apn, then add the the new apn setting to a new apn. Select the new apn as defalt.

I am not sure if the phone will auto push to wifi if avalible. I use a widgit from android market to control my cell data (3G) service. Search 3G switch in android market, download and turn on when needed. Just remember many of the services use 3G service such as AGPS and google talk as examples.
You may need to add the ATT data code and account balance code to view how mutch data or money you have left. Just add those nummbers to your contacts.

I got the apn updated and seems to be working fine

Which app are you using for managing your data? There are alot, lol.

What is att data code and account balance code? Where will I find them?

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, I had already changed apn.

Thanks, putting the numbers in contacts will make it easy to keep a close check on them.

Now to look for 3g app to manage data and learning to type on small keys. Lol.
Takes me twice as long as usual. Lol.

Sure liking this phone.

How long have you had yours? Any problems?

Some of the problems some seem to ask about is a little scary.

But its the same way on the tablet forums. Lol