I am a newbie with my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S2 and have a question regarding game apps. I would like to download some game apps and am a little uncertain and yes a little paranoid about loading game apps after reading the permissions each game has. There is one game I'm interested in downloading and the permissions are as follows;

]Read only access to phone state.
    Write to external storage.
    Open network sockets.
    Access the vibration feature.
    Read the user's contacts data.
    Modify global audio settings.

Is this safe to download on my Android. I'm especially leary about "users contacts data". Any help will be appreciated!
    01-20-2012 11:59 AM
    It depends on the app. One way to be sure is always reading the comments, all of them! Not only the first three it shows. You can also contact the developer and ask. Some apps need certain permisions in order to work properly, by "read user's contact data" not necessarly means they'll go and they advantage of that, but they need that permision to put your name in an online ranking for example. If they need the "Read only access to phone state", it might mean they need it to prevent the screen of your phone from sleeping after some minutes of inactivity. And so on..

01-27-2012 11:02 AM
    05-16-2012 04:48 PM
    I've been using Webroot mobile security. It was free and it makes me feel way less paranoid about the stuff I download. Super lightweight as well. There is always risk involved but they are extremely low if you just download from popular and trusted sources.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    05-16-2012 05:58 PM