"Your device does not support software updating via Kies"
    I have a International S2 GT-I9100 just wondering if this is normal or not.
    01-25-2012 05:29 PM
    Just flash through Odin and forget about Kies forever!
    01-27-2012 11:06 AM
    I thought about that, but theres so many choices to flash im not sure which one will work for my phone
    (im an android noob ).
    01-29-2012 01:21 PM
    what are you trying to achieve? Is your device rooted and or what ROM are you trying to flash? Your not really providing much info...
    01-29-2012 10:51 PM
    I am only trying to update the software on the phone, I have not rooted. I haven't chosen a rom yet since I'm not sure what can or can't work (don't want to brick on my first try

I have Gingerbread.XWKH4 build on the phone currently.
    01-30-2012 10:03 AM
    Well, it's practically impossible to leave a Galaxy S2 out of action. Even if you brick it, you can almost always enter into Download Mode (volume down+home+power). I've bricked my phone several times myself, totally recoverable

The idea of using Odin is that you forget about Kies, you can even install stock roms with Odin without rooting your phone. And regarding which rom, as long as it's a Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 rom you can try any of them, if it doesn't work as you want, you can always try another. Flashing roms is really funny (always be sure to have a decent battery level, preferably full, that's important in case of a brick)

Now, for your problem, I'm not really sure, but it might be an issue with your codecs. Try connecting your phone first and then open Kies. Wait for everything to be installed and it should recognize it. If it still doesn't work, close Kies and turn off your phone, enter Download Mode (volume down+home+power), keep pressing the three buttons and when you see the logo of GS2 then release them at the same time. You'll see a warning message, press volume up to continue and you'll see a message saying "Downloading please don't disconnect..."

Connect your phone and wait for everything to be installed. Once done, reboot your pc and exit Download Mode (press the power button until your phone turns off), then turn on your phone normally and see now if Kies can recognize it (remember always connect your phone first and then open Kies).

Although, before doing all that, it also often fixes when you simply connect your phone in a different usb port .. Be sure it's not a codec issue, no matter if you use Kies or Odin, the codecs are very important for both.
    Protox likes this.
    01-30-2012 11:23 AM
    Kies recognizes the phone as GT-I9100 but just does not support updating it. Seems that flashing it with Odin may be the only way to update it.
    Think im gonna try flash an official firmware, I've heard that KL1 2.3.6 is good; any suggestions on this one or maybe one that could be even better?
    01-30-2012 08:41 PM
    Oooh right! Now I see.. No, it's not normal, all I know is it could be one of these:

- There's a problem with the bios of your phone. To check this, try entering Dowload Mode, turn off your phone and do all I told you (don't worry about the warning message). To exit DM just press power button until it turns off. But if you can't enter Download Mode then something's wrong with the bios and you should take your phone to Tech Service because if you can't enter that DM you can't flash properly not even with Odin.

- Customer Service Code of your phone does not match the firmware on Samsung servers, in other words, you might have a wrong firmware. If this is the case (which I think it is), then you have a software issue. There's no solution to that as far as I know, and you should also take it to Tech Support where they'll probably brick it trying to upgrade it (those guys are smart you know). Most probably you'll get a new phone.

You could also try to upgrade it yourself via Odin and fix it. Up to you. If you can enter Download Mode, you can use Odin, but considering you have a defective phone from stock... as I said, up to you.

And for the last point, yeah! The KL1 2.3.6 Open Europe is really good! But remember every phone is a world by itself, one rom can behave great in one and not so great in another. For example, I know KL1 is great, but I had some issues with it in my phone (lack of phone signal, lack of 3G, sudden Kernel Panic messages) and had to go back to 2.3.4. Best for a new rom flashed is check it a few days and see how it works, always remember you can always flash another rom. By the way, which Ginger version does your phone have?

::and if you get to experiment the can't mount cache/sd card message some time, come back and I'll tell you how to fix it::
    01-30-2012 10:13 PM
    GINGERBREAD.XWKH4
    KERNEL: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKH4-CL487028root@DELL136 #2
    Android 2.3.4
    01-30-2012 10:20 PM
    Do this, open the dialer and type this:

*#*#1234#*#*

This code will give you the PDA, Phone and CSC, then check if any of those is listed here:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Firmware Updates via Kies Official Releases compiled list ~ Android ROMS

Those are the firmware updates via kies, and if yours is not supported, then kies can't update it, at least now we know I9100XWKH4 is not listed.
    01-31-2012 01:04 AM
    Thanks for the link, at least I know now that its not a problem with my phone its that the firmware is not supported for some reason.
    01-31-2012 11:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD