Please help me! ICS OTA update.

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
So, I have a rooted Galaxy S2 running stock rom. Like an idiot, I once installed an OTA update, but miraculously, it didn't unroot my phone. I don't know why?? Anyway, the official ICS OTA update was released today from my carrier, and I tried installing it. The download worked, but as soon as the update tried to finish up and actually apply it, my phone just rebooted like normal and it was still on Gingerbread 2.3.6?? The installation process was at 14% when this happened, and the EXACT SAME THING happened 3x in a row. Why did this happen? Is it because I'm rooted? And if so, if I unroot my phone, then will it finally update successfully? Please please please help me! I've wanted ICS 4.0 for the longest time now, and I can't flash custom ROMs. Thanks in advance, and I hope you have a great day!

angelic225

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes it is because you are rooted and probably running cwm if you want the ics update which you should just use cm9 if you want ics. If you want the legit ota return your phone to stock dude. I highly recommend CM. When it is finally out for the spectrum I'm gonna install it.

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Angelic225, thank you for taking the time to answer, man. :) I appreciate it.

Well, I installed this app called SuperSU, and in it, there's an option that says 'Permanent Unroot'. If I use that option, will I be able to update to ICS?

Oh, and I can't install custom ROMs, because I don't have access to a computer, and every time I try to flash a rom, I always get a "E: failed to verify whole-file signature" error.

Sent from my SC-02C using Tapatalk

TDMaster

May 7, 2012
Visit site
there are Stock ROms that u can install from CWM which is much better
well about the verify error check which phone u got SGS2 got a lot of models
so u need to take the Rom that suits ur phone

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are rooted with cwm why don't you just flash a stock ICS rom? It will be the same thing except you get to keep your root and switch roms later if you get bored.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Because my CWM isn't working properly, and I have to re-flash it on my phone. Plus, I don't have access to a computer.

coolshades

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Angelic225, thank you for taking the time to answer, man. :) I appreciate it.

Well, I installed this app called SuperSU, and in it, there's an option that says 'Permanent Unroot'. If I use that option, will I be able to update to ICS?

Oh, and I can't install custom ROMs, because I don't have access to a computer, and every time I try to flash a rom, I always get a "E: failed to verify whole-file signature" error.

Hi Alx, what did you end up doing with your phone?

TD and Def3ender, I have tmobile T989 and have the same problem. Because the battery has always been terrible, like 6-8 hours with very light use, I rooted it in hope of being able to get rid of bloat ware. Btw, I'm not tech savvy. A week later, tmobile announced ota for ICS. Many times now, it asks for software update. When I said ok, it brings me to a cwm 5.something screen and highlights reboot, the first choice. When I press the power button, it reboots without updating anything. So, I am still on stock Gingerbread after 10 months. Any guidance would be appreciated. Btw, I bought a new battery and it's the same problem.

Thanks in advance.

Cool