What case should I buy?

CellularGuy

Mar 27, 2011
www.mywirelessrevolution.com
I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy S II, my first "real" smartphone, and I know absolutely nothing about smartphone cases, other than the fact that they can help protect the phone when dropped and also protect the screen.

I've done some Google searches for which case to buy, but there are just so many of them out there! I would like firsthand advice from you guys -- what case should I buy?

anon(284786)

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
How 'hard' are you on your phones? Do you want something that just prevents the phone from getting scuff marks? Or do you want something that you can throw at a wall and have the phone be fine?

There's a whole range of cases to suit different needs. Thin silicone cases are good at preventing scuff marks and making the phone a bit less slippery.

On the other end of the spectrum there are cases like the Otterbox commuter series. It adds a decent amount of bulk, however, and a lot of people don't like this.

I personally use the Otterbox (Samsung Galaxy S2 Commuter Series Case // OtterBox.com) and I love it. It adds size, but my phone gets put through a lot!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Android Central sells a number of cases for this phone. Check it out!

CellularGuy

Mar 27, 2011
www.mywirelessrevolution.com
Thanks for your advice, guys. It sounds like the otterbox commuter would be a good choice for me.

I looked on Amazon, but there are a lot of negative reviews saying the case does not fit the Sprint U.S. version of the phone. Do you know if that's true, or where I might be able to buy the case for the Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint U.S. version?

Thanks!!

anon(284786)

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your advice, guys. It sounds like the otterbox commuter would be a good choice for me.

I looked on Amazon, but there are a lot of negative reviews saying the case does not fit the Sprint U.S. version of the phone. Do you know if that's true, or where I might be able to buy the case for the Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint U.S. version?

Thanks!!

From what I recall, the international version has the second phone mic on the side rather than on the top like the American versions. So the otterbox case for the international version would cover the second mic on your Sprint version. Not sure about size/shape.

On the otterbox website it would appear that Otterbox do not make a case for the Sprint version (Galaxy S2 Cases, Samsung Galaxy S2 Commuter Series // OtterBox.com) and there are "no plans to release a case for this version" (OtterBox Samsung Galaxy S2 Commuter Series Case : Questions, Answers, How To, FAQs, Tips, Advice, Answers, Buying Guide)

EDIT: I forgot that the Sprint S2 went by a completely different name. There is indeed a case that is made specifically for your phone

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bUpU1991825&utm_medium=content&token=d17iaUwb

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...touch-4g-cases,default,sc.html&token=6T_KPfMv

The shopandroid site appears to be cheaper than the otterbox website for purchasing!

Last edited:

anon(284786)

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
That's the same type as I have albeit, mine is for the international version (Canadian carrier).

The defender is not available for my phone so I cannot comment on its quality. It will add more size to the phone but also should give greater protection.

I've been relatively rough on my phone (dropping, flinging, falling etc) and the commuter case has protected my phone very well. When I take it out of the case the phone looks almost new!