I have a galaxy s2 that I bought in the middle east. Basically I have no idea which Carrier it comes from. And I want to update to ICS. I read that if you update and you mess up because it's not your carrier, you can brick your phone. Can someone guide me?

I also have a GNex, I recently updated it to JB and I flashed. So I have very basic knowledge about Android. I was a BB user for the past 2 years.

If you are wondering, I bought this phone at full price at a shop. So no carrier is involved here. Is it possible for example to see somehow which carrier it comes from ?on my GNex I had to check the variant (yakju etc). Is there something similar on the s2?
    07-26-2012 06:22 PM
    yeah you would have to make sure that whatever ROM you flash is compatible with your model number.

for example:

The fascinate and captivate are essentially the same phone. If I flash a captivate rom to it, I may brick it at worst and at best have too many issues and have to go back to a fascinate rom.

A lot of the SGS phones have variations form carrier to carrier here in the US and then also an international version.

Just be sure that you are flashing one specifically for your model
    07-26-2012 07:26 PM
    I am guessing after some research that the model number is GT-I9100 but check to be sure
    07-26-2012 07:30 PM
    Yes. Its GT-l9100. I need help though. Any kind of guide around for a step by step ?
    07-27-2012 03:17 AM
    OK. I updated OTA. Thanks guys.
    07-27-2012 01:35 PM