Since I updated to version 4.0.3 I've noticed a huge change in battery consumption when I'm using either CoPilot or Navigator. In the past I was able to run these apps all day in my car with the power cord attached. In fact, if I started with 90% charge, as an example, I generally would reach 100% charge while driving. Since the update, I have started rapidly losing charge as I drive. 2-3 hours is about all I can get out of the battery, with it plugged in and I started with a full charge!

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be a sign of a failing battery? Are there settings within CoPilot and Navigator that I should check; or in the OS settings? I don't think it's a bad charger since using it while listening to music will charge the phone.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

08-22-2012 05:14 PM
    How old is your battery ?, Typical life of a battery is around 500
    charges. If that sounds like your
    battery, time to get a new one.

Two ways to buy a new battery, 1st
    Is to buy a genuine battery, pay the
    Money and be done with it. 2nd way
    Is ebay, do your research, if you buy
    A cheap *** battery, not only will it not last very long, but your phone
    Will not tell you if you phone is getting low, it just turns of with no
    Warning. watch out for adds that say "if not fully satisified, return for full refund" its as if they are expecting it to fail.

There are bargans to be had on
    Quality after market gear, ask question and if the answer sounds
    like a half truth or incomplete, dont
    Buy it.

Most genuine Samsung GS2 batteries are around $60, I have
    Seen them as low as $29 for

It sounds like your battery maybe
    Failing, if it dies and you start to
    Recharge it and it says its got 10%
    Already from dead you know its on the way out. - hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums
    08-23-2012 07:20 AM
    I bought a new battery (Samsung brand). While there's a slight improvement over my older battery, it didn't fix the problem. Driving with GPS on, using either Copilot or Google Navigation, and the charger attached, I still lose 12-15% of the charge per hour. With Copilot I run with the screen light off except for turns, etc. Are there other settings I can check that might improve battery life? I would think that with the charger attached, at the very worst, I should be able to run the mapping programs without losing battery charge. I am able to play music, for instance, AND increase the battery charge, so I'm confident that the charger is working and the issue has something to do with GPS or data function. BTW, I do not have a data plan, so positioning is only being done with GPS and cell tower triangulation. Any help will be appreciated.

08-31-2012 10:24 AM
    Samsung now do an official extended battery. I would recommend doing a few recharge cycles before a new battery reaches its full capacity. Also the phone does agree with being used while being charged.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-2012 01:37 PM
    Especially w. Extended...I'd definitely try zeppelinrox"s Die hard battery calibrator...xda search it, too busy at Moment to link, sorry...anyway it's drastically improved my battery, life, and it shows you the true percentage vs what your phone is reading it as. Upon reaching full 4200 v...reboot and DONT charge at all until it drains/powers off on its own.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-2012 01:43 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I've tested several other navigation apps (and did more testing of Google navigation) and have concluded that the issue is with CoPilot. All of the other apps either hold a steady charge, actually charge up slowly or lose less than 3% an hour. Only CoPilot loses extreme amounts of charge; 15-17% per hour. I have abandoned CoPilot for Navigon. I recently took an 1100 mile drive using Navigon as much as 9 hours one day. My battery use (with music also on a good part of the day) was 27% with Navigon. A best-case situation with CoPilot would have required an extra battery, which would have used at least another 35% of ITS charge. While there are several things about CoPilot I really like, ALK's refusal to acknowledge AND deal with this issue makes it a totally unacceptable navigation option if an off-line app is needed. I was also quite impressed with Sygic and saw some real potential in Navfree. I will continue to update CoPilot as newer versions appear (I have a full paid copy), but I see some real possibilities with Navigon now that it is part of Garmin. Fingers crossed.
    10-25-2012 03:14 PM