Galaxy SII : pain in the ... getting it updated up to ICS 4.0.3.... and now?

josdegro

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new here, and want to share my experience with the upgrade policy, i'll try to make it short and use bullet points:

1. November 2011 - acquisition of Samsung Galaxy SII - Gingerbread 2.3.3, no problems with Kies
February 2012 read a lot about Android, got magazines etc....

1. March/April 2012 try to understand wether ICS 4.0 is available or not in Belgium (simlock free device)
May 2012: try o use Kies for software upgrade Kies announces "this device cannot etc......'
contacted samsung Belgium @twitter : their advice "get to a service center and have a hard reset performed"
June 2012 after some doubts contacted a service center - no response..... except tey were temporarily closed
July 2012 contacted another service center, brought my device and got a phone call the same day - device ok, upgraded to ICS 4.0.3

Aug 2012/SEP 2012 trying to get mountain lion, no problem, but .... Kies does not wordk anymore
tested and followed most advices from forums ..... and today it was a success with android central

My question is now: How to upgrade to Jelly Bean? and /or is rooting better ??

Read you soon!

Jeff

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I personally have rooted my phone in the past. Unless you want to install custom ROMs, I wouldn't recommend it. I had a few problems with my phone (stability and compatibility issues) when it was rooted. I'm running stock ICS now and things are fine now that it's not rooted. I would wait for the stock Jellybean update. It's not worth the risk as far as security issues are concerned, in my opinion. :-\

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2