Storage space running low

Max363

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, a problem came up with my s2 the other day and I've been no idea where to start.
I had a notification pop up and it's still is my status bar sayin storage space running low, problem is I have about 600mb used up and should have 1.2 of my 1.9gb left but all I have is 24mb, i know my phone pretty well and can't find a solution except a factory reset and I don't realy want to be doing that, does anyone know anything that could help.
Thanks.. :'(

drummuppet

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
This exact problem occured for me aswell some time ago. I also have the S2. The problem started some time in february. This is what I've found out about this problem:
-The problem seem to be System Data using the appstorage and growing in size. We won't have admin rights to even view it's content. When installing an app like DiskUsage to view appstorage, it just says System Data without further explanation. On my phone it's currently at 1,4gb. My girlfriend has the exact same phone and she's owned it way longer than me, she has no issue with this, when viewing her appstorage in DiskUsage it's only 40-60mb.
-It seems to be an android issue rather than a S2 issue. I've googled this a lot, and I've seen HTC-users and Samsung-users mainly being affected.
-I did try: Clear cache from boot menu, move apps to SD-card and all the other straight forward suggestions found online. I even factory-reset my phone during the Easter. Surely enough, the System Data disk usage was wiped and down to 20-40mb as it should be, but now, 2 weeks later, the System Data chunk on my appstorage has eaten all my free space again. I even read somewhere online that another user tried getting a new phone from his supplier, and even that didn't stop the problem. I don't know if this last part is true though.

From what I can tell (through second-hand-knowledge, of course) is that it's most probably just logs that keep filling up the appstorage, and the only solution MIGHT be rooting the phone and deleting these logs. The cause I've seen suggested the most is Wifi-logs and/or application-stopped-responding logs; I also picked up the filename anr_history.log, but I don't know if that file is for HTC-phones only.

From what I can tell after hours of hours of googling, there is no real solution to the problem. Either factory reset every 2 weeks, or root the phone to delete logs as they grow in size. But I'll contact the store where I bought the phone anyways, even if I don't think it'll solve the issue after reading the threads I've found online.

I guess this thread is about the same problem. Same workaround, though: Root!

[Q] wifi error data log - xda-developers

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Lever

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Try punching in *#9900# on keypad and choose option 2 (Delete dumpstate/logcat). Saw this on another forum and IT WORKED!!!!!

Good luck. :)

PSUGradAtl

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
This sounds like the "delete the log files method" of dealing with this problem. Will this need to be repeated every few days or weeks or is this a long-term (i.e., several months) fix. Sounds like someone else earlier in this thread reset their phone (which should do the same thing) but then experienced the same problem shortly thereafter.

Yogesh Naik

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Try punching in *#9900# on keypad and choose option 2 (Delete dumpstate/logcat). Saw this on another forum and IT WORKED!!!!!

Used that suggestion and Viola ! It worked. Device Memory which was showing as 1.87 gb Used out of 1.97 gb in my Samsung Galaxy S2, got reduced to just 547mb !!
Thanks.
Had used all ways of freeing up device memory after deleting a lot of apps, clearing loge etc. This only worked.
THANKS again.... :)

kttaylor619

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Used that suggestion and Viola ! It worked. Device Memory which was showing as 1.87 gb Used out of 1.97 gb in my Samsung Galaxy S2, got reduced to just 547mb !!
Thanks.
Had used all ways of freeing up device memory after deleting a lot of apps, clearing loge etc. This only worked.
THANKS again.... :)

Where do you put the *#9900# at?

Tj Goldstein

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Amazing!! Worked like a charm first time... after hours of searching the interwebs for solutions and manually deleting programs, photos, music I didn't need and clearing caches... all to no avail in getting rid of the stupid warning! I only wish I had stumbled across this forum earlier, would have saved heaps of time and stress.

Thank you for posting the solution!!

galaxion

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
i had this problem for months until it got to the point where i couldnt update any of my apps and they stopped working....tried all the obvious things i could think of to free up space but nothing worked so i went online and did some digging....at first all i got was either root the phone or do a factory reset neither of which i wanted to do....removing apps or moving them to sd card did nothing and i tried some of the things i found online like clearing the cache in recovery mode....again this didnt help but i was getting close to the problem....what worked for me in the end was to go to the app manager in settings then go on each app and clear data (if highlighted clear cache too) almost immediatley the storage running low warning dissappeared so i continued through them all and hey presto i suddenly had 1.3gb free in the system memory....i also use cleanmaster which works well but never cured the problem and i did this before trying the *#9900# second option clearing dumpstate log....all or any of these things should help but it seems that the data being stored by each app is eating up all the space you have in the system memory and clearing this alone completely wiped out the problem without having to root or reset the phone....it took me a while to suss this out but hopefully this could help anyone stuck with the same problem.

vidhyaparthiban

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I too have the same problem. my mobile model is S2 GT206.
After typing *#9900#, I will get only the following options
1.run dumpstate/logcat
2.copy kernal log to SD Card
3.Copy to SC card
4.Enable debug log
5.Disable fast dormancy
6.Choose debug level
7.TCP DUMP start
8.Start RIL log
9.Copy RIL log
10.run modem log

I dont have delete dumpstate/logcat option

Plz Advice.

Regards,
Vidhya

eeagle1

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

My girlfriend have the same problem like Vidhya. Please could anyone have some clues for this?!
And GF mobile is Galaxy Ace.

Regards,
Juuso

AndroWild

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I have an S2, and I'v tried the *#9900# trick, but it didn't help me.
I'v also tried the reset to factory, but it only worked for a week before the low storage caught up with me.
In my case, my problem is with "contact storage", that's becoming so big.
I have no idea why. I'm trying to lower my contact list by cleaning up some old ones, or deleting duplicates.
instead the problem became even bigger. Samsung is not responding or helping.
Does anyone have another trick to help?

Deidre0303

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I too have the same problem. my mobile model is S2 GT206.
After typing *#9900#, I will get only the following options
1.run dumpstate/logcat
2.copy kernal log to SD Card
3.Copy to SC card
4.Enable debug log
5.Disable fast dormancy
6.Choose debug level
7.TCP DUMP start
8.Start RIL log
9.Copy RIL log
10.run modem log

I dont have delete dumpstate/logcat option

Plz Advice.

Regards,
Vidhya

I don't see a reply on what option to choose... We have the same problem same display options... What worked?

Last edited by a moderator: