I just tried to install ICS through Kies on Galasy S2 gt I900. and got this error message on the desktop. It was during the install process. My phone had the android robot (but not the picture of his back open and gears running). The phone said something to the effect of downloading and not to unplug the target.

Kies told me to...

1. Disconnect the mobile phone from the cable, remove the battery, and reattach the battery.
    2. Press the Power button
    3. Make sure that the mobile phone has been turned on completely.
    4. Reconnect the mobile phone to the cable and start the upgrade.

I did all this, but when the phone rebooted it has a yellow triangle with " ! " on it saying "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again".

Kies doesn't see that a device is installed. It just keeps saying "connecting". I hit "tools", "Emergency Firmware Recovery" but it still does nothing. It doesn't recognize the device.

05-01-2013 02:24 AM
    Easiest way to upgrade your phone's firmware will be by downloading the appropriate rom and then flash it through odin. That is what I did with my phone when I upgraded mine to jelly bean. If you are using the International version of this phone, rom for NEE region is the latest release. You can download it from www.sammobile.com. There are many helpful tutorials on Google on how to flash rom on your phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums
    05-01-2013 02:43 AM