I'm having a truly weird issue. It's cropped up all of a sudden on a Galaxy S2 that I purchased about three months ago. Please note: this issue has persisted through two operating systems (I updated from ICS to JB 4.1.2 to try to solve it but to no avail), four browsers (built-in, UC Browser, Dolphin Mini and Firefox) and two different WiFi networks. Here's what happens:

Suddenly, I find myself unable to bring up internet pages on the browser. Here's what's weird: any Google property will work fine. Google searches and Google News come up immediately in any browser. But when clicking on a search item to actually go to the page, the new page will start to load very briefly, then turn white and just sit there. In running SpeedTest.net's little android speed check app, I will either have a 'no connection' error, or it will run fine. If it does run, I notice that, during the check, there may be an extended dropout -- i.e., the test runs about halfway through, then the graph drops to zero. Some of my other apps that require internet work fine while this is going on, some do not.

Then after an hour or so of this behavior, with no other change having been made by me, it suddenly stops. Only to return again unannounced later that day or the next day. It seems to me it's behaving like something is firewalling everything but Google. But that can't be. Can it? Can anybody tell me what's going on??

Thanks.
    09-24-2013 03:10 AM
    I'm having a truly weird issue. It's cropped up all of a sudden on a Galaxy S2 that I purchased about three months ago. Please note: this issue has persisted through two operating systems (I updated from ICS to JB 4.1.2 to try to solve it but to no avail), four browsers (built-in, UC Browser, Dolphin Mini and Firefox) and two different WiFi networks. Here's what happens:

Suddenly, I find myself unable to bring up internet pages on the browser. Here's what's weird: any Google property will work fine. Google searches and Google News come up immediately in any browser. But when clicking on a search item to actually go to the page, the new page will start to load very briefly, then turn white and just sit there. In running SpeedTest.net's little android speed check app, I will either have a 'no connection' error, or it will run fine. If it does run, I notice that, during the check, there may be an extended dropout -- i.e., the test runs about halfway through, then the graph drops to zero. Some of my other apps that require internet work fine while this is going on, some do not.

Then after an hour or so of this behavior, with no other change having been made by me, it suddenly stops. Only to return again unannounced later that day or the next day. It seems to me it's behaving like something is firewalling everything but Google. But that can't be. Can it? Can anybody tell me what's going on??

Thanks.
    Welcome to the forums!
    Have you tried clearing cache in recovery?
    Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...2-s3-tab2.html
    09-24-2013 07:46 AM
    Hi, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the instructions on wiping the cache. I've followed them and now we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, it may be up to several days before I know whether it's worked. But I'm crossing my fingers
    09-24-2013 01:23 PM
    Hi, thanks for the welcome and thanks for the instructions on wiping the cache. I've followed them and now we'll see what happens. Unfortunately, it may be up to several days before I know whether it's worked. But I'm crossing my fingers
    Let us know how it works.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
    09-24-2013 04:59 PM
    Just to update -- unfortunately, that solution did not work for me. The problem came back with a vengeance, unannounced as usual, yesterday. I've now tested what's happening in a few more ways and it's clear that the WiFi isn't actually getting cut off on the phone -- it's being dramatically reduced, probably to around 100 kbps instead of the 6 Mbps I should be getting. That's why I was able to access Google properties only -- they're largely text-based, so they load quicker. The only (temporary) cure for it is to turn off the phone for a long period -- like during recharging. Then when the phone comes back up, the WiFi is fine. I'm trying my best to avoid zeroing the S2 to its default settings but that may end up being the only way to tell whether it's hardware or software. But the intermittent nature of the problem sure seems like software.
    09-29-2013 01:59 AM