Multi battery usage...some not recognized...or seen empty although they're fully charged

developer1990

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi experts,

I have searched androidcentral as well as googled a lot about it, but could find no answers - so I hope my post is not redundant:

My way of using my phone is to always have a batch of 3-4 spare batteries with me when travelling - so rather than charging all the time, when the battery is empty I throw the next one in - and recharge the empty ones when I am back at home on an external docking station "cradle" (the ones that have the extra spot for second batteries)

For a few weeks I have had problems with the phone not booting, so I researched, learned that when I manipulate or clean the USB plug, it will ocassionally boot again.

I also learned that the ultimate resolution was to replace the USB charging port and the flex cable. Nice youtube videos helped to perform that procedure...so far so good.

The situation now is, that with the 6 batteries I own (all original SAMSUNG - reading: "GB/T18287" 3.7V) the phone will only boot with two of them - although they are all charged on that docking station...

I am wondering: is it a totally inappropriate way to work with multiple batteries all the time to begin with ?
Does Android recognize individual batteries by some sort of pattern or ID ?
Do battery stats prevent me from doing what I would like to do ?

I am thinking about just purchasing some new batteries...but then again: on my wife's and son's phone they work with no problems...I find this highly annoying, and believe I can not be the first one who uses his phone that way and has seen issues with different batteries...

Phone is on Android 4.0.3 - no custom ROM or mod

Hope you can help

developer1990

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone please help / comment ? I am losing it with this bloody piece of hardware...

In other forums I read that certain branded Galaxies will not accept other batteries than the ones that carry the brand too...how is that possible ? What more than either power or not (that is: voltage) can the phone "see" ? Is there a chip on the battery giving some form of ID and voltage info to the phone ?

Varun Sarathy

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi there
First of all.. It's recommended that you don't use multiple batteries. I am a developer at XDA and android SDK. Unlike IOS devices booting android devices periodically can cause problems in it's software. Can you kindly tell me how many times you boot it in a day? My suggestion would be to use one battery and charge it when required. The pins in the motherboard of the phone may get damaged when the battery is removed multiple times.
This should solve your problem.
GOOD LUCK...

Posted via Android Central App

developer1990

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the answer !

I was not aware that booting causes harm...on busy days I certainly booted 4 times...abut only if i had the phone on...texting, mailing, and watching a movei in the evening...

Will try to stick with old fashioned plugging-into the wall as soo as I enter a room...like an iPhone-user...

One reason to not go iPhone for me was, that I could exactly avoid that kind of behaviour, and just restart with fresh battery...

Thanks !!

developer1990

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Understand that I had better not juggle batteries...but still no good answers though why phone is not booting with full batteries...

Attachments

• voltage.jpg
    voltage.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

developer1990

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Not too much interest here...seems not too many users have this prob...anyway:

I purchased 6 new batteries...after loading them in that external USB charging port they all will only show 4.6 V on the multimeter...and the beloved bloody S2 will boot reliably every single time with any of them...so: back to the way we were

It appears the old batteries were just faulty after 2 years...

Thanks to those who replied

Last edited: