Anything special mentioned about GS2 GPU anywhere?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
All I can find about its GPU is that it is quad core and has 5 times the power of SGX540 from Galaxy S1. Is there anything else ever mentioned about this phone's GPU?

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know this too especially what gpu they are using (is it a powerVR?). I don't think this is the new exynos chip.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I was really hoping that GSII's processor and GPU will dominate the smartphone market for another year like Hummingbird did last year, but seems like Tegra2 beats it up this time by a small margin.

BlackPrince310

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow that's very interesting. I don't know how the GS2 scored so bad in some of those tests. In terms of sheer power, Exynos/Mali definitely beats Tegra 2. Maybe the software was unfinished?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow that's very interesting. I don't know how the GS2 scored so bad in some of those tests. In terms of sheer power, Exynos/Mali definitely beats Tegra 2. Maybe the software was unfinished?

That is such a good news!! If you have some information read on this, please share! I am sure if they tweak their hardware drivers, they maybe able to get better performance out of them. But will Samsung have enough time to do it if they are planning on releasing the phone this month?

Also, why Samsung is referring to GSII processor as Samsung dual-core application processor instead of calling it Exynos?

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The GSII tested better but not by much in that test 98 points. Also LG was running 2.2 against the 2.3... Looking at the EVO scores from 2.1 to 2.2 on the same phone the difference is 5,733 .so when LG gets 2.3 on there the scores will putt LG on top...

I just looked and mean on the first test... I didnt realize or think to scoll the page lol ... LG beats out SGII from what they're showing there on those test...

xsaintzx

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
That is such a good news!! If you have some information read on this, please share! I am sure if they tweak their hardware drivers, they maybe able to get better performance out of them. But will Samsung have enough time to do it if they are planning on releasing the phone this month?

Also, why Samsung is referring to GSII processor as Samsung dual-core application processor instead of calling it Exynos?

It might because Samsung has purchased tons of Tegra 2 from Nvidia to be used on their phones. The Exynos is a new brand name for Samsung so they might use it to ship to those countries that they never ship to. Well, just my 2 cents though.

adjangs

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
It looks like there will be two versions of Galaxy S II, one with Exynos and one with Tegra 2.

from anandtech:

"The GT-I9100 is the normal Exynos based Galaxy S II, the I9103 is the Tegra 2 edition."

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
It looks like there will be two versions of Galaxy S II, one with Exynos and one with Tegra 2.

from anandtech:

"The GT-I9100 is the normal Exynos based Galaxy S II, the I9103 is the Tegra 2 edition."

hmmm.. Interesting. Wouldn't that make things harder for samsung on the software update release front!!

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
That is such an atrociously horrible test it's amazing. Nothing against Anand, the test is exactly what they said it was, but people are using it as a performance comparison. Do you really thing the Mali drivers etc are anywhere near done?

Nothing new here. People will interpret stuff wrongly to suit their own selfish realities. I'm not talking about Anand. That guy is great. An actual respectable tech site. Even Gizmodo likes to put up trash like their shoddy Nokia N8 speed comparison vids to drive up traffic. Well, actually it is to be expected of a Gawker site.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Look at go benchmarks and it would be funny to see what beat both of these the optimus 3d that memory may be the killer