Ok, this is my first thread so go easy on me, it might be a long one too.

First of all I live in Kuwait, therefore US model phones don't apply to me, so for those who reply please take that into account. Unfortunately that means that I live in a region that has fallen victim to Samsung's policy of releasing cheaper alternative models of phones due to their hardware shortages, case in point being the whole Super AMOLED Vs. S-LCD issue (originally the Galaxy S with Super AMOLED was sold here but they have recently switched to the S-LCD variant).

Now to my question, how important is screen tech when it comes to buying a phone? I'm in the market for a new phone and I'm thinking of buying the Samsung Galaxy S II but there might be a chance that the model released here is going to be the S-LCD variant and not the Super AMOLED Plus version, or would I be better off buying the Original Galaxy S with the AMOLED screen while its still available (but soon to be out of stock)?

Now I know that the Galaxy S II specs blows the original out of the water in every other aspect which is why i'm asking if the screen tech is really that important when making my decision.
    04-04-2011 01:19 PM
    Screen tech is the reason im buying this phone, it's the reason im ditching my Droid X, and it's the reason i'm breaking my contract with vzw, to me its 100% important....but that's my opinion, you need to ask yourself what aspect of a phone means the most to you. If the screen isnt important maybe u should go for an LG optimus 2x your wait would certainly be shorter.
    04-04-2011 03:05 PM
    Screen tech is also the reason this phone has made my short list. It's actually the only reason it's on my list.

So for me yes it's that important. For you you'll need to decide what's most important to you in a phone.
    04-04-2011 09:19 PM
    It's what you look at the whole time. Make sure you are happy with it.
    04-05-2011 12:04 AM
    IMO, SLCD is overall better looking than SAMOLED due to the subpixel issue (effectively lowers the resolution of the screen, text isn't as sharp, etc). However, from what I've read, the SAMOLED Plus corrects that issue and if that's the case, it's going to be the screen type to beat. Crisper text, etc with the great colors should be nice. Can't you just import from a country that gets the SAMOLED Plus? I thought I read that the Galaxy S II was going to be quadband HSPA?
    04-10-2011 10:49 PM
    I never cared for the first itteration of the samoled tech. It seemed cartoonish to me, and the resolution was definitely poor compard to text on a high res lcd. Now I do think the tech is better and the contrast is bar none the best on the second itteration, and I am eyeing it too.
    04-10-2011 10:54 PM
    I never cared for the first itteration of the samoled tech. It seemed cartoonish to me, and the resolution was definitely poor compard to text on a high res lcd. Now I do think the tech is better and the contrast is bar none the best on the second itteration, and I am eyeing it too.
    Except that there really aren't many "high-res" displays. They're all mostly 480x800 with different size displays. with the exception of iPhone 4. Now we have qHD which I do think is sharp but still uses pentile matrix.

I think SAMOLED is great but uses too much power on bright images. SAMOLED+ does not use a pentile matrix and the colors are supposed to be better, more accurate than SAMOLED.

Why can't we get SAMOLED+ , qHD, and non pentile matrix? Come on Samsung!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    04-10-2011 11:00 PM
    Maybe I need to word that differently. On a phone with similar res as a samoled, the lcd simply has better lines and resolution of detail. Most people can see that, however, samoled was better with contrast, so it became a personal preferred screen (lcd) over samoled for me. I hear the new tech addresses the poor resolution of the first samoled tech, and if that is the case, I will consider. I am not sayings samoled is poor by any means. I think the samoled is actually better on the battery because the oleds are not back lit. But that causes the diodes to bleed more next to each other causing poorer resolution than a backlit display.
    04-10-2011 11:09 PM
    Ah got it :-)

Yeah the SGS2 is looking to be an amazing phone. Of course ill likely wait at least 30 days to hear reports about all aspects of it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    04-10-2011 11:17 PM
    I like waiting, and reading revied first too. In fact I do that with most everything I buy:-)
    04-10-2011 11:26 PM
    Screen is very important to me!
    I don't want another piece of crap LCD variant that everyone else has! (Buy a Freaking EVO if you want that crap)
    The contrast ratios and color vibrancy of AMOLED screens is amazing and every generation just gets better.

If Samsung doesn't release the phone with next gen AMOLED , I'm not going to but it, plain and simple.

I refuse to support this idiotic trend for mfg's to use LCD variants to save cost because few want to spent the capitol to develop the newer, far better technology in screens, AMOLED.

Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Tapatalk
    04-18-2011 07:41 AM
    This thread title makes it seem as if Super AMOLED Plus is the reason you're NOT buying this phone. Besides the GORGEOUS screen, the fact that the SGSII is destroying everything in every test and comparison, I'd say there's a few reasons to buy this phone.
    04-18-2011 08:04 AM
    The screen on this latest Samsung phone however does exceed it rivals in terms of the technology on offer. Boasting the new Super AMOLED+ display, this offer a higher contrast ratio to what was on offer previously, along with vastly improved power consumption. The S2 will run on Android Gingerbread 2.3 out of the box, and will have the brands own TouchWiz user interface in operation in its latest 4.0 version. Android not only offers user a wealth of download opportunities, but it also sports Flash support, meaning viewing your favourite websites is enjoyable, especially given the phones excellent connectivity options that include WiFi and 3G.
    04-18-2011 08:43 AM
    The screen isn't that important to me but damn I do enjoy that plus, my Xoom screen is amazing to me, whoever says otherwise just has high standards, but I think it looks beautiful. Hell SAMOLE looks AMAZING, I would take the Galaxy S2 with SAMOLED or SAMOLED + . I can also be fine with OLED, but I have used SLCD, and I wanted to puke.

Sent from my Xoom
    04-23-2011 08:57 PM
    Why can't we get SAMOLED+ , qHD, and non pentile matrix? Come on Samsung!
    That's coming on the Galaxy S III
    05-03-2011 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD