I was looking at the specs of the GS2 on the official page (Samsung GALAXY S II) and I noticed that it had a 1650 mAh battery. This seems like a good size battery, but with it's new 4.3 Super AMOLED plus screen with it's higher pixel density and size, will it still be enough? I've never owned any form of the original Galaxy S line, so I have no idea what the battery is like. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the dual core processor will put less strain on the battery as well (I read it somewhere, but I'm no geek and know hardly anything about the sort), does this mean it will have better battery life? My only point to this whole thread is to learn what you experts know and speculate the daily life of the battery.
    04-13-2011 10:33 AM
    According to a lot of the interviews with Samsung reps the new SAMOLED plus screen uses less power than the current SAMOLED screens. Also the new processor is supposedly more efficient as well and uses less power when the phone is not being used heavily.
    04-13-2011 01:19 PM
    "Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus displays are an upgrade to the company's first generation Super AMOLED. The new displays offer 50% more sub-pixels, and in fact use regular RGB matrix (as opposed to the Pentile Matrix used in the first generation displays). The displays are also thinner, brighter and more efficient (by 18%) than the old Super AMOLED displays."
    -cited from oledinfo.com

Without getting too detailed about every aspect of battery life because there's just too many factors that come into play (browsing, streaming, settings, basic phone usage,battery size,wifi or tower,etc etc), I'd say the most attention as far as battery life that this phone is getting is pointing towards the dual core and screen. I too have read that even though the dual core is more powerful it can/will run more efficiently for the phone. As far as the screen, Samaung claims it saves while improving picture. There's a good deal of articles, reviews and hands-on time comparing it to iPhone 4. I have gone from the 3GS to the 4 so I've experienced the jump in picture quality while having better battery life (brightness at about 75% with auto- brightness adjust turned on). Might i add I am a very heavy user. So I'm in the optimistic zone that when it comes to screen and the dual core, battery life will be on par, if not better, than what people are expecting. Add all the other stuff though, that might be a whole different story. I.e. 4g/3G/1x handoff claims on a Verizon version... Thunderbolters?
    04-13-2011 02:45 PM
    "Samsung's Super AMOLED Plus displays are an upgrade to the company's first generation Super AMOLED. The new displays offer 50% more sub-pixels, and in fact use regular RGB matrix (as opposed to the Pentile Matrix used in the first generation displays). The displays are also thinner, brighter and more efficient (by 18%) than the old Super AMOLED displays."
    -cited from oledinfo.com

Without getting too detailed about every aspect of battery life because there's just too many factors that come into play (browsing, streaming, settings, basic phone usage,battery size,wifi or tower,etc etc), I'd say the most attention as far as battery life that this phone is getting is pointing towards the dual core and screen. I too have read that even though the dual core is more powerful it can/will run more efficiently for the phone. As far as the screen, Samaung claims it saves while improving picture. There's a good deal of articles, reviews and hands-on time comparing it to iPhone 4. I have gone from the 3GS to the 4 so I've experienced the jump in picture quality while having better battery life (brightness at about 75% with auto- brightness adjust turned on). Might i add I am a very heavy user. So I'm in the optimistic zone that when it comes to screen and the dual core, battery life will be on par, if not better, than what people are expecting. Add all the other stuff though, that might be a whole different story. I.e. 4g/3G/1x handoff claims on a Verizon version... Thunderbolters?
    I'm thinking that the major drain on battery will be all the carrier bloatware and the touchwiz "hubs" that Sammy is putting on the phone, but i'm still betting we'll see a minor improvement in battery life over the current GS phones.
    04-13-2011 06:06 PM
    I'm thinking that the major drain on battery will be all the carrier bloatware and the touchwiz "hubs" that Sammy is putting on the phone, but i'm still betting we'll see a minor improvement in battery life over the current GS phones.
    Excuse what may be a "newbie" question but I dont have an android yet, however am planning to pick this phone up when it comes out. Is there a way to rid the phones of bloatware and run basically a clean OS? For example, when I get a new computer I just wipe everything and do a clean install of windows only. I'd love to be able to do this with my android.
    04-13-2011 07:38 PM
    From a CTIA YouTube video I saw somebody click on the social hub and go a little deeper than the other people did . It just looked like all the common social apps combined into one folder that would give each folder or "hub" icon a notification. I would guess that if there' s an option to turn push notifications off or at least less often, then minimal power would be drawn. Same thing with limiting the amount of widgets one uses. User preference. When it comes to bloatware, my att navigator isn't running since I haven't subscribed or opened it. At least that's how I hope it works lol. It doesn't show up in the running processes list.
    04-13-2011 10:53 PM
    Excuse what may be a "newbie" question but I dont have an android yet, however am planning to pick this phone up when it comes out. Is there a way to rid the phones of bloatware and run basically a clean OS? For example, when I get a new computer I just wipe everything and do a clean install of windows only. I'd love to be able to do this with my android.
    You can root the phone, then remove any apps you don't want, or run a custom ROM when they become available. Basically the same thing you are talking about with your CPU.
    04-14-2011 11:55 AM
    You can root the phone, then remove any apps you don't want, or run a custom ROM when they become available. Basically the same thing you are talking about with your CPU.
    Thanks a lot. Rooting and ROMs seem so complicated to me, but I guess I better start doing my research.
    04-14-2011 12:13 PM
    Thanks a lot. Rooting and ROMs seem so complicated to me, but I guess I better start doing my research.
    It may seem intimidating at first, but it isn't difficult. There are step by step instructions on how to do it. If you do something wrong, there is always someone to help you through on the forums. The only thing I'd be afraid of is getting addicted to rooting and flashing ROMs once you start
    04-14-2011 12:19 PM