05-14-2011 09:39 AM
30 12
tools
    Well hova, just sitting in the backyard after a hard days work , enjoying a cold beverage I figured what the hell and decided to call 3 stores in my area. I asked the first ATT store if when switching to an HSPA + device from a 3G, if anything needed to be updated in their system or changed so the device would run properly with my account they said no, it's just sim swap n go, but that we have not activated "4g" in my area. The next store I said a buddy of mine is selling me an imported phone that has our (ATT) bands, is there anything special I need to do in order for it to work. They basically said it should work but is not recommended for problematic/troubleshooting/compatibility/update/insurance reasons. The third store I said that I had an atrix(used this example for device difference) and I can stand next to my buddy with an Inspire and my buddy gets better download speeds. They asked what version of software I had and if it was up to date to bring it in... If I just purchased it they would swap it out and if I've had it for awhile that I would need to go through insurance. We know it runs the same bands based on specs so whatever signals those Inspires next to you were running should be getting similar data speeds, however no two back to back speed tests will yield the same results even on your own device. If you didnt stand there for a length of time comparing phones and signals it may be possible that they had just caught a better signal or the S2 is more sensitive to signsl change. My narrowed down conclusion is that you may have just gotten a rotten apple my friend since you can't just exchange for a new device. Especially since your signal indicator was spazzing out cycling . Luck of the draw, you may just be SOL man. Sorry Consequences of an imported phone. Excuse my edits
    hova24 likes this.
    05-13-2011 08:58 PM
    Well hova, just sitting in the backyard after a hard days work , enjoying a cold beverage I figured what the hell and decided to call 3 stores in my area. I asked the first ATT store if when switching to an HSPA + device from a 3G, if anything needed to be updated in their system or changed so the device would run properly with my account they said no, it's just sim swap n go, but that we have not activated "4g" in my area. The next store I said a buddy of mine is selling me an imported phone that has our (ATT) bands, is there anything special I need to do in order for it to work. They basically said it should work but is not recommended for problematic/troubleshooting/compatibility/update/insurance reasons. The third store I said that I had an atrix(used this example for device difference) and I can stand next to my buddy with an Inspire and my buddy gets better download speeds. They asked what version of software I had and if it was up to date to bring it in... If I just purchased it they would swap it out and if I've had it for awhile that I would need to go through insurance. We know it runs the same bands based on specs so whatever signals those Inspires next to you were running should be getting similar data speeds, however no two back to back speed tests will yield the same results even on your own device. If you didnt stand there for a length of time comparing phones and signals it may be possible that they had just caught a better signal or the S2 is more sensitive to signsl change. My narrowed down conclusion is that you may have just gotten a rotten apple my friend since you can't just exchange for a new device. Especially since your signal indicator was spazzing out cycling . Luck of the draw, you may just be SOL man. Sorry Consequences of an imported phone. Excuse my edits
    Not to get all man mushy, but people like yourself are just one of the things I love about this site. I agree with your sentiment about possibly being a bad apple. I am going to try and get Samsung to service it and I believe they will from what I read. I really do appreciate the extra effort as I myself have spoken with a dozen people from ATT at this point. Hope your beer was extra satisfying!
    05-14-2011 03:15 AM
    Props to Miller hahaaa. No biggie, I had great amounts of help from all the fellas here at AC with my first android phone, the Evo, so it's simply quid pro quo. For what it's worth, you got to take this bad boy for a spin way ahead of the commonfolk. Is it just me or is the event on the 24th taking for-evvv-errr to get here?
    05-14-2011 03:57 AM
    Not to get all man mushy, but people like yourself are just one of the things I love about this site. I agree with your sentiment about possibly being a bad apple. I am going to try and get Samsung to service it and I believe they will from what I read. I really do appreciate the extra effort as I myself have spoken with a dozen people from ATT at this point. Hope your beer was extra satisfying!

I think something might be wrong with your phone. Check out this video review from pocketnow. Look at the speeds he's getting it starts at 2:40 in the video

I want this phone.
    05-14-2011 06:51 AM
    I use Straight Talk, which uses the AT&T network, and I get anywhere from about 1.5 mBaud downloads to 5.81 mBaud downloads. Most of the time, download tests range from about 4 mBaud to 5.5 mBaud. Uploads can range from about .5 mBaud to 1.5 mBaud, but are usually between .9 mBaud and 1 mBaud. The little icon only switches between 3G and H+ - usually H+ when it is sending or receiving. So far, I really like the SGS2, I like Straight Talk a lot, but give AT&T a "good" but not "excellent" rating - my T-Mobile service had consistently good 3G performance in my area, but AT&T varies a lot.
    05-14-2011 09:39 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD