05-14-2011 09:39 AM
30 12
tools
    So I purchased an unlocked UK SGS2 because it has U.S. 3G bands. I should have looked into this further prior making my purchase, but I noticed slow network speeds and somebody had told me I need to optimize the device or change some settings to make it more compatible with our networks on this side of the Atlantic. I haven't had much success with Googling this issue and wondered if any of you have had experience or tips for optimizing unlocked phones purchase abroad for our networks in the US. Thanks!
    05-10-2011 08:29 PM
    So I purchased an unlocked UK SGS2 because it has U.S. 3G bands. I should have looked into this further prior making my purchase, but I noticed slow network speeds and somebody had told me I need to optimize the device or change some settings to make it more compatible with our networks on this side of the Atlantic. I haven't had much success with Googling this issue and wondered if any of you have had experience or tips for optimizing unlocked phones purchase abroad for our networks in the US. Thanks!
    Are you using it on AT&T? It won't work with T-mobile 3G.

I think you need to put in the correct APN's. What do you have in the APN menu?
    hova24 likes this.
    05-10-2011 09:34 PM
    Yes, it is on ATT. I'm new to Android and am learning the technical side of things. I actually don't know where to find these APN settings. Are they easy to change once I do?

Thanks for the quick response!
    05-10-2011 09:52 PM
    Yes, it is on ATT. I'm new to Android and am learning the technical side of things. I actually don't know where to find these APN settings. Are they easy to change once I do?

Thanks for the quick response!
    settings>wireless networks>mobile networks>access point names. And yeah I think so, you should just be able to add the right one.
    hova24 likes this.
    05-10-2011 10:05 PM
    Greatly appreciate the help! Thanks
    05-10-2011 10:09 PM
    I am watching this with great interest. What should the APN be changed to?
    05-11-2011 05:23 AM
    Did the setting change help with the speed and how much did you pay for the phone?
    05-11-2011 08:54 AM
    I also have a UK SGS2 imported to the US, and with an AT&T sim card in it the APN is automatically set to wap.cingular. Also, the data icons do show H+ when transferring data so I'm not sure what additional optimizations might be done. I'm getting about 4.5Mbs download and 1.5Mbs upload, which is well below optimal but about 2-3 times what my (3GS) iPhone gets with the same sim card.
    05-11-2011 08:58 AM
    Wait, 4.5mbps down is "well below optimal?" Where are you from, the future?
    05-11-2011 09:49 AM
    No kidding...I too am envious of those speeds. I have T-Mobile, and where I live I don't even get 3G coverage, let alone HSPA.
    05-11-2011 10:16 AM
    I just meant that HSPA+ is rated at 21 Mbps. I'm more than happy with 4.5Mbps downloads! The OP complained of "slow network speeds" but didn't specify any numbers....
    05-11-2011 10:20 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. This would have to be a first for me to ever hear of an HSPA+ phone getting above 1.5 Mbps down on ATT, from personal experience in the stores to asking friends their experience to YouTube videos. With what I saw after the Inspire updates the upload speeds were still disappointing and downloads were still the same. I wonder how many cities actually have WITH ENHANCED BACKHAUL*. Because 4.15 download and 1.15 upload 3g on my iPhone 4 says they're holding back
    05-11-2011 11:18 AM
    wap.cingular is the correct APN. I'd say 4.5 down is pretty optimized . The reason you don't get more is AT&T, not anything on the phone.
    05-11-2011 11:21 AM
    I also have a UK SGS2 imported to the US, and with an AT&T sim card in it the APN is automatically set to wap.cingular. Also, the data icons do show H+ when transferring data so I'm not sure what additional optimizations might be done. I'm getting about 4.5Mbs download and 1.5Mbs upload, which is well below optimal but about 2-3 times what my (3GS) iPhone gets with the same sim card.
    Mine arrives next week to be used on the AT&T network, also.

Does your voice mail work, any trouble setting it up? I know we will not get Visual Voice Mail but just wanted to make sure all worked.

I am going to have to syns with Outlook to move my contacts and schedule. Will try the Samsung Kies.
    05-11-2011 11:22 AM
    Does your voice mail work, any trouble setting it up? I know we will not get Visual Voice Mail but just wanted to make sure all worked.

I am going to have to syns with Outlook to move my contacts and schedule. Will try the Samsung Kies.
    Voicemail (non-visual) works fine - speed dial 1. It's possible this is due to coming from an iPhone, but who knows....

Played around with Kies but it seems a bit unreliable (even getting the phone to connect was hit or miss). You might try first syncing with Gmail contacts/Google calendar to bring things over - that works like a charm.
    05-11-2011 01:32 PM
    I got to sync with Outlook, I am still waiting for my emails to be forwarded to my gmail account.

There is 3rd party software Sync calendar and contacts on Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry - CompanionLink that I is surposed to work very well.

HELP!
    05-11-2011 02:45 PM
    I just meant that HSPA+ is rated at 21 Mbps. I'm more than happy with 4.5Mbps downloads! The OP complained of "slow network speeds" but didn't specify any numbers....
    Well, the reason I was (and still am) alarmed is that my Speedtest.net app keeps coming in ~500 kbps down and ~150 kbps up. My iPhone 4 in the exact same scenarios would routinely do ~3 mbps down and ~1 mbps up... not great speeds, but I certainly wasn't anticipating a sharp decline with the SGS2.

I've seen over at XDA several people reporting similar things and others with absolute zero issues whatsoever (~3-5 mbps down and ~1.5-3 mbps up).

Really frustrated at this point... I was forced to watch ATT employees Inspires pull much better results side-by-side with my new toy.
    05-12-2011 01:44 AM
    Well, the reason I was (and still am) alarmed is that my Speedtest.net app keeps coming in ~500 kbps down and ~150 kbps up.
    What does your data icon show? Mine varies from 3G, H, and H+ (depending on where I am). Maybe you're only getting 3G?
    05-12-2011 07:37 AM
    What does your data icon show? Mine varies from 3G, H, and H+ (depending on where I am). Maybe you're only getting 3G?
    Well, mine goes from 3G to H and back, but there are two things that bother me with this...

1) My iPhone 4 still does 3-5x faster in the exact same scenarios even if I am only pulling 3G

2) Why wouldn't I be getting H+ when the Inspires right next to my device are?

I am to the point of selling, but really don't want to. Seems like nobody has answers
    05-12-2011 11:05 AM
    Do you have the ATT '4G' 4 GB dataplan? I wonder if this could have any bearing. I wouldn't think so, but I am also illiterate in some of these languages. I know there is the regular Datapro 4GB plan and then the 4 GB plan on the Atrix, Inspire, etc...

Last ditch effort before I sell. It is driving me mad.
    05-12-2011 10:59 PM
    Do you have the ATT '4G' 4 GB dataplan?
    No, just a standard data plan (still unlimited!).
    05-13-2011 07:26 AM
    Could it be the phone is not optimized for US carriers?
    05-13-2011 11:27 AM
    Well, mine goes from 3G to H and back, but there are two things that bother me with this...

1) My iPhone 4 still does 3-5x faster in the exact same scenarios even if I am only pulling 3G

2) Why wouldn't I be getting H+ when the Inspires right next to my device are?

I am to the point of selling, but really don't want to. Seems like nobody has answers
    If it were me I would go to the ATT store where the employees would be most likely to recognize that you're a regular or even a little bit of "friend" status... and ask if they can tell you the exact process that cycles through when your sim slips into an HSPA+ phone coming from a 3G phone . There has to be some kind of incompatibility or something that gets switched over or activated in the computer even if it one single keystroke.
    05-13-2011 01:11 PM
    Could it be the phone is not optimized for US carriers?
    Well, I thought this might be a reason, but I'm seeing where others in the U.S. are not having an issue. i also see some are and there are even others experiencing this in other countries where some people also are not having issues.

My data indicator at the top keeps switching from 3G to H to H+ and back again. Speed tests start out decent, but almost seems like it is 'killed' very quickly. I am now lucky to get above 200 kbps. I'very never thrown a phone, but...
    05-13-2011 03:01 PM
    If it were me I would go to the ATT store where the employees would be most likely to recognize that you're a regular or even a little bit of "friend" status... and ask if they can tell you the exact process that cycles through when your sim slips into an HSPA+ phone coming from a 3G phone . There has to be some kind of incompatibility or something that gets switched over or activated in the computer even if it one single keystroke.
    Yeah, I am becoming more of a regular at my store, but I do not know what exactly needs done. Otherwise, I'd just outright ask one of the people familiar with me.
    05-13-2011 03:04 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD